What Is The Key Match-Up That Will Decide Falcon/eagles Game?

PokerSteve

There are a lot of match-ups that could possibly play a key role in our match-up against the Eagles. To name a few, Michael ThugPunk vs Matt Ryan. They don't face each other across the LOS of course, but who performs best could easily determine the outcome. I like Ryan because I think he's taking far better care of the football, has a better grasp of defenses and formations than ThugPunk and much better weapons to throw to than ThugPunk with the exception of DeSean Jackson and possibly Brent Celek at TE. It's my guesstimate Ryan will be able to produce at least one more TD than ThugPunk in the passing game, maybe more. Big advantage Falcons.

Everybody is talking about "Shady" possibly running all over our pathetically weak rushing defense. That's a match-up I don't like, but on the other hand, we could give up 150 yards and a couple of TD's to McCoy and still win the game easily. How about our defensive front compared to the Eagles OL? We should have the advantage there as even Eagle fans are admitting their OL is hot garbage and that could certainly be a key. If our defensive front four is getting penetration into the backfield and pressure/sacks on ThugPunk, that will almost certainly lead to multiple Eagle turn-overs. When you win the turnover battle in the NFL you're usually going to win the game.

Speaking of OL vs DL, how about the match-up of their defensive front vs our OL? I still have sickening visions of Trent Cole blasting Baker three yards backwards into the backfield on almost every play in the Georgia Dome last year. From what I've seen of our OL, this is going to be a decidedly big ~ and potentially catastrophic ~ advantage for the Eagles. If our OL doesn't protect Ryan we can't win this game. And if the OL gets Ryan injured, we can't make the play-offs. I don't see Luke McClown riding in on a white horse and saving this game or this season for us if Ryan gets hurt. Will definitely be interesting to see the Cole vs Baker match-up as well as see how well Reynolds and Clabo perform in their match-ups.

Then there's the match-up of DRob vs DeSean Jackson?! I can't imagine DeSean being able to fully focus on the football going across the middle knowing DRob is going to be trying to de-cleat him like he did in the earlier game. And how about Asante and his obvious burning desire to get a pick six and embarrass Andy Reid and the Eagles in his first game back in Philly? I like our LB's and our secondary and think that's going to be a match-up that could also be critical in determining who wins this one.

What do you guys think will be the match-up that determines the winner of this one?

ON DEFENSE

Stop the eagles run first, and make vick beat you. We have to be aggressive, but disciplined at the same time. I'm sure dunta will be trying for the ko, l just hope he wraps his arms around the guy.

ON OFFENSE

I know alot of people aren't to concerned with the eagles pass rush, but l am. Last yr cole was a bad man against us, and this yr ATL gave up a similar performance against charles johnson. People have been saying clabo is hurt. l expect a big part of our gameplan on offense to be around slowing down there wide 9 pass rush. I think we need to get turner going in this game. They have really improved from last yr at LB so that might be a challenge.

Will be important but Andy Reid got outcoached in 2011 after outcoaching Smith in previous years. Oh well, its a different battle with new Coordinators.

This year it's pretty evident Reid's job is on the line, so with that as motivation I'm sure he's going to pull out all the stops with his game plan.

The eagles rank 30th in sacks. We are tied for 14th.

Eagles also rank 15th against the both the pass and the run. We are 11th against the pass and 28th against the rush.

Yes, but the Eagles are number 1 in the NFL in completion percentage allowed, and number 2 in the NFL in passer rating allowed.

So the Falcons better take advantage of big play opportunities when they present themselves. It's a tough team to march on.

Julio Jones, Roddy White, Harry Douglas and Tony Gonzalez plus whatever screen game we have

versus the Eagles defense. The OP is correct to say Luke McCown would not lead us to victory if

Ryan got dinged up. I am one of the Dominque Davis supporters as Ryan's backup with the hope

he only plays when we are blowing teams out and he plays a lot.

Vick vs Decoud is probably the most vital matchup. The game plan will be shut McCoy down and force Vick to win with his arm. If Decoud can fool Vick enough this will be the deciding factor in the game. This and forcing him to scramble to his right because he doesn't like to see the pressure in his face. This means Abe will need to stay on his front side so Vick can see him coming and get happy feet.

Vick vs Decoud is probably the most vital matchup. The game plan will be shut McCoy down and force Vick to win with his arm. If Decoud can fool Vick enough this will be the deciding factor in the game. This and forcing him to scramble to his right because he doesn't like to see the pressure in his face. This means Abe will need to stay on his front side so Vick can see him coming and get happy feet.

Good points.

We definitely need to get pressure on him early and often.