Third Saturday In October Discussion And Game Thread ...

CrimsonKat

At one time, there were a lot of Vols fans on the board (Ton80kid, EddiesAuto, etc.), but most have moved on. I know there are still a few and wanted to get their thoughts on this game. I think the discussion was officially kicked off this morning with former UT QB Erik Ainge saying Tennessee's defense should take a 15 yard penalty and go for McCarron's injured knee and step on it. Surely a comment in jest but still a little shocking.

With respect to the game, I am calling it now that this game will go into the 4th quarter and will be a huge test for Alabama. Our defense has looked phenomenal this year because we have not played a quarterback who can put the ball in the air -- Bray is far and away the best quarterback we have faced this season. His receivers, especially Patterson, are also the best we have faced by a good stretch. I really think the Vols test Alabama's weakness in this defense, a young secondary, early and often.

I also think you will see a good effort from Tennessee's defense just given the familiarity that Sunseri has for what we like to do on offense. Sal's defense has played good in spurts this year and I think they will come to play tomorrow night.

As crazy as it sounds, this game actually worries me more than playing LSU later this season at Death Valley. I just think Tennessee's offensive skill set, mainly throwing the ball downfield, is uniquely qualified to attack this Alabama defense. I look for a good game and, as crazy as this may sound, it would not surprise me in the least to see Tennessee win this game. As I can't pick against Alabama, I will go with Alabama 34 Tennessee 24 with Alabama adding a late touchdown to close out a very competitive game.

Good thoughts there and I agree, but quite frankly I'll believe it when I see it. Dooley is yet to beat a single ranked team. They find ways to lose these games.

I do think UT has the right pieces to really put a test on Bama, but we'll see. UT has lost a lot of games that they could have won in recent years.

At one time, there were a lot of Vols fans on the board (Ton80kid, EddiesAuto, etc.), but most have moved on. I know there are still a few and wanted to get their thoughts on this game. I think the discussion was officially kicked off this morning with former UT QB Erik Ainge saying Tennessee's defense should take a 15 yard penalty and go for McCarron's injured knee and step on it. Surely a comment in jest but still a little shocking.

With respect to the game, I am calling it now that this game will go into the 4th quarter and will be a huge test for Alabama. Our defense has looked phenomenal this year because we have not played a quarterback who can put the ball in the air -- Bray is far and away the best quarterback we have faced this season. His receivers, especially Patterson, are also the best we have faced by a good stretch. I really think the Vols test Alabama's weakness in this defense, a young secondary, early and often.

I also think you will see a good effort from Tennessee's defense just given the familiarity that Sunseri has for what we like to do on offense. Sal's defense has played good in spurts this year and I think they will come to play tomorrow night.

As crazy as it sounds, this game actually worries me more than playing LSU later this season at Death Valley. I just think Tennessee's offensive skill set, mainly throwing the ball downfield, is uniquely qualified to attack this Alabama defense. I look for a good game and, as crazy as this may sound, it would not surprise me in the least to see Tennessee win this game. As I can't pick against Alabama, I will go with Alabama 34 Tennessee 24 with Alabama adding a late touchdown to close out a very competitive game.

I agree with you. Bray, the 2 receivers and most of that OL are all NFL caliber. It will hurt UT if the under-rated tailback Neal doesn't play, but I agree that it will be a game for 3 qtrs and that Bama won't cover the spread. I give the chance for an upset in the game at 20%

Here are the Ainge comments in case anyone cares to read them -- he apparently hosts a radio show in Knoxville:

"I say it all the time. Nasty, attitude, get after it. Do something crazy," Ainge said. "The first time AJ McCarron drops back, tell one of your boys you've got fifteen on this one. He's got a sore knee, go step on it."

McCarron bruised his knee last weekend in the second half of the Tide's win over Missouri.

"If we try to play straight up with these guys and just run our stuff and they run their stuff, and we're just going to try to play with them, I don't think we're going to beat these guys. We're going to have to do something out of the norm. Whether it's from an attitude standpoint, a gameplan standpoint, or bending the rules a little bit. We're going to have to do something that makes them say 'Woah, this isn't how teams play us. Why aren't these guys scared? Everyone's supposed to be afraid of us.'"

I agree with you. Bray, the 2 receivers and most of that OL are all NFL caliber. It will hurt UT if the under-rated tailback Neal doesn't play, but I agree that it will be a game for 3 qtrs and that Bama won't cover the spread. I give the chance for an upset in the game at 20%

If Neal doesn't play and I am Dooley (with nothing really to lose), I tell Bray he is going to chunk it 50 times in the game. Throw deep all night long. Alabama has one experienced corner in Dee Milliner and one experienced safety in Robert Lester. The rest of the group are first year starters who have not been tested. Tennessee is going to hit some big plays on us if they take that approach.

If Neal doesn't play and I am Dooley (with nothing really to lose), I tell Bray he is going to chunk it 50 times in the game. Throw deep all night long. Alabama has one experienced corner in Dee Milliner and one experienced safety in Robert Lester. The rest of the group are first year starters who have not been tested. Tennessee is going to hit some big plays on us if they take that approach.

i agree with you there and by doing that they will open up the running game for lane to get some yards. i think lane is a good rb. they are running the ball much better than last year. if the vols don't turn the ball over this could end up being a late 4th qtr game.

I believe our offense will have success against Bamas defense. I think they will respect the passing game just enough to let our running game have some success. Defensively we should get shredded. Our defense is giving up somewhere around 32 points a game and we can't stop the run at all. In the end Bama's defense will make some plays and they're ground and pound attack will keep our offense off the field. I won't be shocked at all if Tennessee's offense can keep it close, they've done it all year, but our biggest weakness on D is Bamas strongest part. I'd say it will be around a 14 point game, I hope.

Edited by Volunteer Falcon

Off to kill the rest of my crown and watch the rest of the beating, congrats on the win Crimson, bama looks really good.

A play here or there on those deep throws and Tennessee would be right there in this game. You guys have serious talent on O and building on D. Good luck the rest of the year -- I like Dooley and Sal so I pull for UT when they are not playing Alabama.

• 9 months later...

Looks like the stadium is 60-40 Tennessee fans, sad sight.

I attended that game. It wouldn't be a stretch to say that it was 55% UT fans, 45% Alabama fans. Embarrassing. The best thing about so many losses, especially in 2011 and last year, is that Dooley is out of here.

I attended that game. It wouldn't be a stretch to say that it was 55% UT fans, 45% Alabama fans. Embarrassing. The best thing about so many losses, especially in 2011 and last year, is that Dooley is out of here.

Whoa... long time no see! Welcome back. :)