Our Short Yardage Issues

Dirtybird#11

IDEA  

40 members have voted

1. 1. SHOULD WE ALLOW DD TO GO OUT AN SEE IF HE CAN CONVERT ON SHORT YARDAGE PLAYS

when we are inside of 5 yards we tend to struggle picking up a first which isnt matt ryan fault it is the dumb playcalling on short yards.Dont get me wrong i love our new coordinators but on 3rd an 4th an short we are one of the worst in the nfl an we need to improve.I say we should do what the broncos did in 2011 an also what the dolphins did in 2007 run a FLORIDA GATOR type spred/wildcat scheme to confuse the opponenets an it obviously worked because for one the Gators and Broncos went to the playoffs an wonn a national championship by doing this.We also have a QB to do this offense in DD who is a very mobile QB.Yall say he is a pocket passer but if he wants to stay on this team he will stand back there an do what SMITTY says.But all in all I think this is a decent idea for our short yardage issues. FYI... I AM NOT SAYING MATT RYAN IS A BAD QB HE IS A ELITE GREAT QB IN THE NFL TODAY BUT IN SHORT YARDAGE SITUATIONS YOU CANNOT LET HIM SHOW OFF HIS ARM AN LAUNCH 15 YARD PASS PLAYS THAT COULD POSSIBLY BE INT OR SWATED DOWN

Davis isn't on the active roster, so you can't use him on short yardage.

The team needs to run more when Quizz is on the field and pass more with Turner. Quizz only getting 5 carries a game, about half of where he should be.

Your logic escapes me, so we run a back who has roughly half the YPC as Turner, I would think that you would pass more with Quizz. All is moot tho, given the OL run blocking I've seen, the name on the back of the jersey doesn't matter.

Edited by vabchbirdlover

How about we stop trying to get cute and we just give the ball to Turner on short yardage? I get that he isn't doing great this year, but he's better than any other option on the roster right now...

im sorry were you not watching the broncos game after we got the first pick on peyton on 1st an goal from the 1 it took turner 3 tries to get in i dont trust him

Your logic escapes me, so we run a back who has roughly half the YPC as Turner, I would think that you would pass more with Quizz. All is moot tho, given the OL run blocking I've seen, the name on the back of the jersey doesn't matter.

The logic is not letting on-field personnel tip the defense as to run or pass. What we really need is a back who can threaten the edge.

seriously turner cant fall forard for 1 yard an the guy weights 300 lbs

- 1st play the ONLY lineman that gets a push is Blalock. Reynolds pulls (why??) & McClure got blown the eff up!!

- 2nd play nobody covered the edge, Palmer gets there too late to block LB, Polite gets beat by SS Turner gets hit 4 yards behind the line of scrimmage and fights to the end zone against two defenders. fumbled the ball so it's dead on the 6 inch line instead of a TD

- 3rd play Blalock pancakes his guy McClure gets pushed back but falls and Turners jumps up over the goal-line. if that would have been Hawley or Konz in at center Turner probably scores on 1st try

even if we don't want to call it "cute" we don't need to keep running a pulling guard type of play on short yardage situations, our OL isn't athletic enough to do it effectively. Even if it takes a couple of times you have to line up & punch the DL in the mouth. Turner can run forward for 2 yards, but that "misdirection" stuff just doesn't work for us

- 1st play the ONLY lineman that gets a push is Blalock. Reynolds pulls (why??) & McClure got blown the eff up!!

- 2nd play nobody covered the edge, Palmer gets there too late to block LB, Polite gets beat by SS Turner gets hit 4 yards behind the line of scrimmage and fights to the end zone against two defenders. fumbled the ball so it's dead on the 6 inch line instead of a TD

- 3rd play Blalock pancakes his guy McClure gets pushed back but falls and Turners jumps up over the goal-line. if that would have been Hawley or Konz in at center Turner probably scores on 1st try

You stop it with your facts and brilliant breakdown! That doesn't fit the DD nuthuggers agenda!

even if we don't want to call it "cute" we don't need to keep running a pulling guard type of play on short yardage situations, our OL isn't athletic enough to do it effectively. Even if it takes a couple of times you have to line up & punch the DL in the mouth. Turner can run forward for 2 yards, but that "misdirection" stuff just doesn't work for us

Thats really my position. Stop pulling guards. Stop outthinking the room. Literally line up, smack the guy in front of you in the mouth, send the FB in first to blow someone up, and let Turner smash.

The problem is, our OLine isn't doing enough in runblocking. Plain and simple. People claim Turner isn't "hitting the hole", which would be understandable if there was a hole. There is none. On most of the plays where he doesn't gain anything, its one of 2 things. Either a) there is a d linemen hitting him right after he gets the ball or b.) he is running into the back of one of our OLinemen.

And if Turner was averaging 3 yds a carry, but Quizz and Sneeling were getting 4-5 a carry, I would blame Turner. The simple fact is, Turner is still our best rusher, let him do his thing. But he needs help from the OL.

Edited by Optimus*Crimes

im sorry were you not watching the broncos game after we got the first pick on peyton on 1st an goal from the 1 it took turner 3 tries to get in i dont trust him

Also, I was watching the Broncos game. It was actually pretty awesome. Went to the ESPN Zone in Anaheim to watch. Didn't miss a play. Got pretty costly though, they have a $20 per hour/ per person minimum. 5 of us, there for 4 hours...

What is the fascination with DD. Putting him in on short yardage plays and goal line situations is ridiculous. He is NOT a mobile QB nor does he play the wildcat offense. What has he done to even make you think he'd be successful running the wildcat. He didn't run it in ECU and we don't have it in our playbook. Why invent a play that doesnt fit into our scheme or our players talents.

Is this really Murlarky posting on this board.....

What is the fascination with DD. Putting him in on short yardage plays and goal line situations is ridiculous. He is NOT a mobile QB nor does he play the wildcat offense. What has he done to even make you think he'd be successful running the wildcat. He didn't run it in ECU and we don't have it in our playbook. Why invent a play that doesnt fit into our scheme or our players talents.

Is this really Murlarky posting on this board.....

Kerry Meier

Walls

Dominique Davis

what do all these guys have in common ?

They havent done chit.

We've done QB sneaks, doesn't work. We've done FB dives, that doesn't work. We've ran every RB in the roster up the middle, it doesn't work. We've pulled guards, TEs, etc. and we haven't. We've run outside and inside, it doesn't work.

It is the line. We're not going to be able to power our way through anything with this offensive line the way it's playing. It isn't play calling, nor is it anyone at the skill positions. We're going to have to start throwing it if we want the conversions.