After Six Weeks There Can Finally Be A Fair Evaluation

So, six weeks in gives enough data to fairly evaluate the team and the direction it is going. I've watched each game no less than two times, and tried to be as subjective as possible. I am only going to list the flaws for the most part because at 6 - 0 the good should be obvious. This is just the offense. I want to rewatch the games again because I have pi

Offense

O-line (pass blocking) - by far Baker and Blalock are our two best pass protectors. They have gotten confused on a couple of stunts, but for the most part have done a good job. Baker is not getting pushed around like last year. The rest of the O-line is hit or miss. Clabo might be our worst lineman so far. He is hurt or just not playing well. He is allowing guys to bull rush him or get around him to quickly and does not appear to be getting better as the year progresses. McClure and the Rynolds are getting pushed back way to easy. The RG has missed a couple of blocks that have lead to sacks.

Run blocking - Same as above. Baker and Blalock are doing average to above average. The entire right side of the line is hot garbage. The are not moving anything in short yardage situations, missing blocks, don't sustain blocks and just get beat on most running plays. There are consistently no holes on running plays and they allow penetration. What is the most disturbing is that they are playing high, allowing Dlinemen to get under their pads and leverage way to often.

TE's - none are excelling at run blocking, but Gonzo is bad. He has missed several blocks that have lead to tackles behind the line of scrimmage. He is also missing blocks when he stays in on passing plays. Gonzo, is excelling in route running and running after the completion. The other TE's have not been doing a good job in route running.

Running backs - Turner gets out of his stance quickly and receives the ball on his mark but is not hitting the "hole" with speed or authority. Because there are no holes. Turner has done a good job breaking arm tackles but he is not punishing defenders like he did in '08, probably because of the wear. For a power back Turner shows good speed once he hits the second level. He is not showing the same determination to gain extra yards once hit like he did in '08.

I don't know why they haven't run Snelling more. Hard to get an idea of him because every time he runs the ball he is hit behind the LOS.

Quizz is not very good. Too small, to slow and not quick enough. He has not looked good.

All three backs need to be better catching the ball.

Wide Receivers - For the most part very good. Teams are doubling any deep route for the most part. HD and JJ need to do a little better keeping their routes. They have not been in position a couple of times because they were not crisp in their route running. Roddy is by far our best route runner and he looks like a superstar this year. JJ looks like a second year WR and is making dumb fundimental route mistakes, HD looks disinterested and stops running full speed which has taken him out of potential plays. That needs addressed.

QB - Matt generally has played very well. The one thing that he has been doing that is concerning is his tendency to not lead receivers. I noticed him doing his last year and it appears that he still does the same thing. This obviously implicates YAC, but there have been several instances where instead of throwing the ball to a point he has throw at the receiver. These are not all deep passes, some are, most are intermediate throws that force the WR to slow down or adjust.

Coaching - The passing attack looks good and no real comments other than I don't know why we are not running any short slants to JJ or HD. The running game is a mess. We are running mostly power stuff. Few traps, no back-side traps or counters. It appears we are purely relying on Turner running people over and the line is not doing a good job of blocking. I know we don't have a good speed back but Turner has show in '08, '09 and '10 that a counter or backside running attack will work. The coaches need to adjust here.

All in all the biggest and most obvious issue was the play of the Oline. If this gets fixed our O will be unstoppable. If they keep playing the way they are we are going to be lucky to go .500 the rest of the season.

So our Oline is bad in pass protection, our QB is not hitting guys in stride, our receivers are not running good routes, our rbs are not catching the ball well, we suck at run blocking, and we'll be "lucky to go .500 the rest of the season."

We must have the #1 defense in the league because we've gone 6-0 during the period you're evaluating.

Matt Ryan has been staring down receivers again....

I disagree with this. Watched specifically for this. He is going through his progressions. He might watch a receiver too long at times, but he is not locking onto one guy. He does tend to find the best match-up first and look to that side of the field, but he is not staring down receivers in the traditional sense of only watching one guy run his route.

Matt Ryan has been staring down receivers again....

You know how I feel about Matt so pass on him.

The OL isn't very talented. They do work hard, smart, but can get overpowered and overmatched.

The running game is weak in part of the line but more so because of the backs. We just have average to below average backs.

The run D is atrocious. We need Lofton back.

This team is like the 2010 team but different strengths and weaknesses. In fact, I felt better about them then this team.

So our Oline is bad in pass protection, our QB is not hitting guys in stride, our receivers are not running good routes, our rbs are not catching the ball well, we suck at run blocking, and we'll be "lucky to go .500 the rest of the season."

We must have the #1 defense in the league because we've gone 6-0 during the period you're evaluating.

Hey man, if that is what you want to perceive when you read what I wrote then so be it. I think I was pretty clean that I was only bringing up the negatives because we are 6 - 0 and the good things should be obvious. But yeah, if we don't make some adjustments we are going to have a hard time winning more than half our games. Other teams can watch our games too.

Hey man, if that is what you want to perceive when you read what I wrote then so be it. I think I was pretty clean that I was only bringing up the negatives because we are 6 - 0 and the good things should be obvious. But yeah, if we don't make some adjustments we are going to have a hard time winning more than half our games. Other teams can watch our games too.

Your criticisms are based on things you saw in the games, but they aren't all consistently happening. The main issue is the conclusion. Your conclusion assumes we make all of these mistakes all of the time and that is not reality.Also, the issue with the Oline is not as cut and dry as you make it sound. Play calling is a huge part of the problem with our pass protection. When you get overly pass happy the defenses will begin to pin their ears back and not respect the threat of the run. This makes pass protecting harder for the OL. To get away with this type of play calling you either need a QB that gets rid of the ball very quickly, like Peyton Manning, or an all star OL like Tom Brady has enjoyed most of his career. We don't have that much talent on the OL, so either we become more balanced or Ryan has to get back to getting rid of the ball in a hurry.

Wow, impressive write up. You're observations are virtually spot on(except Baker actually sucks at run blocking and Clabo has been good run blocking). The key to this team is the OL. Plain and simple.

But assuming they don't get back on track to the way they played the first 3 games, it's good to focus on other aspects. Matt Ryan looks like he's finally matured in every part of his game..except leading his receivers. I don't know what the helI our QB coach is doing or if it's simply Ryan's weakness but he almost NEVER leads roddy or Julio on a deep route it's always a jump ball

Running game is due to a poor O-line and average running back. The O-line and our RB's don't complement each other, a speed back would be an improvement but there's still only so much an RB can do behind that thing we call an O-line

Hate our dam O-line. Everyone called it in the preseason- we can go as far as the O-line takes us. Well we saw it first hand now.. Good O-line= unstoppable offense = points EARLY = force teams to pass to play catch up = our D has a field day with turnovers = more comfortable wins

Your criticisms are based on things you saw in the games, but they aren't all consistently happening. The main issue is the conclusion. Your conclusion assumes we make all of these mistakes all of the time and that is not reality.Also, the issue with the Oline is not as cut and dry as you make it sound. Play calling is a huge part of the problem with our pass protection. When you get overly pass happy the defenses will begin to pin their ears back and not respect the threat of the run. This makes pass protecting harder for the OL. To get away with this type of play calling you either need a QB that gets rid of the ball very quickly, like Peyton Manning, or an all star OL like Tom Brady has enjoyed most of his career. We don't have that much talent on the OL, so either we become more balanced or Ryan has to get back to getting rid of the ball in a hurry.

Tom can have five defenders coming at him and not get touched once. Brady pocket mobility and awareness might be GOAT. Most NFL QB's get 3 seconds at most in the pocket.

I think Turner is the kind of running back who is at his best when he is in a rythym carrying the ball 20 to 25 times.

Whereas previously, we were about 50/50 pass run, we are now passing the ball 2/3rds of the time. The increased passing attempts (52 vs Washington) is an adjustment for this O-line and our RBs. I think it will get fixed and be even better as we move forward.

Guest Negatorris

Tom can have five defenders coming at him and not get touched once. Brady pocket mobility and awareness might be GOAT. Most NFL QB's get 3 seconds at most in the pocket.

Tom Brady got sacked by a 3 man rush twice at the end of the SEA game. Dafuq you talking about?

This team is 6-0. Our QB must be getting enough time because he is chewing up opposing D's and he's possibly the top rated passer in the league. We have outstanding WR's and a TE headed to the hall of fame and leading the league in catches. Blaylock and Baker are doing very good work, and its the right side that needs to pick it up. Our Run game is better when we're striking down field, which is why we are running Late in games.

Our D is very opportunistic and we have the best safety play in the league. Spoon is headed to the pro bowl and I can't believe Abraham is still dominating but he too is headed to Hawaii. Babs is playing tough as is Walker. The other D lineman not named Beerman are average at best. Draft D line and D ends next year. Our corners are coming up and sticking people and along with our Safetys, has really been a bright spot.

All and all, this team is Poised to go deep. Get the running game going sooner, get Koontz some snaps and get our Linebackers healthy and Get Dent the heck out of here. We will play everyone tough. Matt is the leader, and he can take us all the way.

After a promising start after 3 games, this team's OL showing it true colors. DL is straight out garbage against the run. Scuze me for being so pestimistic, but I been here before, (Less the 6-0 start). Bottom line is this team is the most mis-aligned 6-0 team in NFL history. Don't believe me, listen to the pundits. Hopefully the coaching staff and a well deserved rest can right this ship.

Edited by vabchbirdlover

The OLine is definitely the most serious of several glaring problems on the field, but I blame the coaching for every negative issue that has shown up over the past three games. Aren't the coaches watching game film and grading/evaluating the play of the OL? If so, why aren't we seeing steady improvement in performance? If that isn't possible with the players that are out there, why in hail aren't there different players being given an opportunity to see if they can do a better job? Is Smith/HIll so loyal to their starters they refuse to give anybody else a chance even if it's apparent staying with the same under-performing players is going to cost the team in the long run? Is Pat Hill not as good of an OL coach as advertised? Is this group of OL not athletic enough to get the job done, are they too lazy to use sound fundamental techniques, or are they too dumb to grasp what the coaches are teaching them, or are they too hard-headed to care what the coaches are saying in practice or are they too ******** to remember what they learned in practice when the actual game starts? It's Smith's job to figure out what the problems are and to do whatever is necessary to fix them, yet week after week Ryan is getting rushed and hammered, the running game is in the toilet and nothing changes. Is Smith still involved in the day-to-day supervision of the coaches and players? If so, then why are we seeing the same lame OL play every week with the same bunch of players stinking up the field? And I'm not even talking really about just the last three games, we've been seeing pretty much this same sorry play out of the OL since at least mid-season of last year and especially in the play-off game vs the Giants. If we were somehow to end up at 6-10 this year and out of the play-offs, given Smith's handling of the OL over the past four years, would it be unreasonable to expect that the same players will be starting on the OL in 2013 ~ and playing just as bad ~ based on what we've seen so far? Just curious.

Edited by PokerSteve

O-line (pass blocking) - by far Baker and Blalock are our two best pass protectors. They have gotten confused on a couple of stunts, but for the most part have done a good job. Baker is not getting pushed around like last year. The rest of the O-line is hit or miss. Clabo might be our worst lineman so far. He is hurt or just not playing well. He is allowing guys to bull rush him or get around him to quickly and does not appear to be getting better as the year progresses. McClure and the Rynolds are getting pushed back way to easy. The RG has missed a couple of blocks that have lead to sacks.

Run blocking - Same as above. Baker and Blalock are doing average to above average. The entire right side of the line is hot garbage. The are not moving anything in short yardage situations, missing blocks, don't sustain blocks and just get beat on most running plays. There are consistently no holes on running plays and they allow penetration. What is the most disturbing is that they are playing high, allowing Dlinemen to get under their pads and leverage way to often.

Blalock has sucked balls pass blocking. He's given up 6 hits and 9 hurries. Not good for an OG. Clabo has been our best run blocking Olineman. Baker sucked run blocking against OAK. His pass blocking has started to slip too. He's given up 3 sacks, 2 hits and 6 hurries in his last four games.