Peter King's Top 3 Teams With Serious Flaws

g-dawg

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/

above is the link, but not a direct link to the video - you can find it here.....just spend 10 seconds and you will find it.

IF SOMEONE KNOWS HOW TO POST THE LINK DIRECTLY TO VIDEO, PLEASE DO SO!

Summary of Peter King's Falcons flaws:

1) Secondary - King discussed how the Falcons gamble a lot on the back-end which leads to big defensive plays but also leads to getting burned. Specifically he mentioned Assante Samuel's penchant for gambling and making big plays but then also giving up big plays.

2) Running Game - King discussed how poor the running game was and referenced Falcons inability to punch the ball in on the 1-yard line against the Oakland Raiders. King stated that he spoke with Falcons HC Mike Smith after the Raider game and said that Smith was concerned about the lack of progress in Falcons running game. King said the concern is that at some point in playoffs falcons will need to run to convert a third and short and might not be able to succeed in those situations (aka Giants playoff loss).

120930072003-06-nfl-0930-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Other Teams:

Houston Texans - secondary burned by Packers. Said this was probably a one-game thing but that Texans could get exposed by a Tom Brady in AFC Championship or Aaron Rodgers/Eli Manning in a Super Bowl.

San Francisco Niners - highlighted the concern of the offensive line not having adequate replacement for injured left tackle Joe Staley and how the O-Line could be an achilles hill in playoffs.

You could tell that of the three teams, Peter King thought the Falcons were the team with the most flaws. I cannot really disagree with his analysis - especially regarding Falcons running game which seems to be down for the count and not coming back.

Seems to be pretty spot on. To be 6-0 there appears to be a whole lot of serious problems with this team. I guess the coaching here is even better than we'd previously thought to keep this ship afloat every week.

I am glad that Falcons rely on pass more now.

I am glad that Matt Ryan is the principal weapon/engine on this team.

I knew that Michael Turner was going to regress this year at age 30 and showed signs of decline last year.

However, I never thought the drop would be this poor and that the Falcons would no longer be able to run block at all.

The O line sucks, unless there is a hole big enough to drive a truck through Turner just runs into the

back of someone and falls over. He doesnt break tackles anymore like he used to and cant

seem to make any plays on his own, ie maybe change direction and find your own hole.

Other than that we have a great running game.

The O line sucks, unless there is a hole big enough to drive a truck through Turner just runs into the

back of someone and falls over. He doesnt break tackles anymore like he used to and cant

seem to make any plays on his own, ie maybe change direction and find your own hole.

Other than that we have a great running game.

To summarize your post: Our running game sucks, other than that, its GREAT!!!

(sounds about right) :D

I think he got it a bit wrong. Its not our secondary that is flawed its our run defense that needs help. The secondary has done fine by me.

The running game is would be fine as well if they would actually call Turners number more often and run block better. Its obvious he still has it in him , its just as obvious he isnt being called. He was doing a great job against Oakland. They just never called him up. 11 carries wont cut it. I am hoping the plan was to save him till after the buy then unleash him against the better teams.

Well I also can't agree with him on the pass defense. The rankings tell the story: our pass defense is getting the job done. Our biggest flaws are obvious. We don't stop the run well, and we don't run the ball well at all. Both of these are serious flaws. An unbalanced team gets exposed. I know some teams have won with this formula in the past, but I think those are flukes myself.

But the season is still young, and our coordinators are new. Hopefully some improvements can be made in both areas.

The running game is would be fine as well if they would actually call Turners number more often and run block better. Its obvious he still has it in him , its just as obvious he isnt being called. He was doing a great job against Oakland. They just never called him up. 11 carries wont cut it. I am hoping the plan was to save him till after the buy then unleash him against the better teams.

I was too but we haven't been running with Quizz or Snelling either. I think our run game can be helped by a shake-up on the line. Konz, Hawley, or Johnson need to be in the middle to give us a bit more size and strength

Houston Texans - secondary burned by Packers. Said this was probably a one-game thing but that Texans could get exposed by a Tom Brady in AFC Championship or Aaron Rodgers/Eli Manning in a Super Bowl.

I've got a different guy in mind for exposing the Texans in the Super Bowl.

I was too but we haven't been running with Quizz or Snelling either. I think our run game can be helped by a shake-up on the line. Konz, Hawley, or Johnson need to be in the middle to give us a bit more size and strength

Well the thing is that I saw especially on Sunday was that Turner was busting through and gaining yards when he was called. We just stopped calling on him. I totally agree the line needs a shake up. They can shake it up all they want but if they don't ever call on the feature back period then it does no good. So hopefully now that we saved him some wear and tear they will actually use him down the stretch.

Well the thing is that I saw especially on Sunday was that Turner was busting through and gaining yards when he was called. We just stopped calling on him. I totally agree the line needs a shake up. They can shake it up all they want but if they don't ever call on the feature back period then it does no good. So hopefully now that we saved him some wear and tear they will actually use him down the stretch.

yeah his first 4 runs went for 9, 3, 9 then 5. he even had a pretty good 6 yard screen pass but I think the INTs threw the whole offense off balance. but the right side of the line was collapsing too much

From rewatching the games with the coaches film, I think our running game problems is more so with lack of execution than oline getting man handled. We don't get to the linebackers, sometimes it doesn't look like anybody is trying to get the linebacker sometimes. We don't have a dominant full back anymore, We seem to have our most success out of the single back formation. We are missing Palmer our blocking TE, since he has been M. Johnson has been in. Mike Johnson is always getting beat physically.