Wow! Five Years Later......

RealBird!

I was looking back at some of the old posts from the 07' debacle season. THAT was a rough time...let's review...Before week 7 in '07 we :

A) had a record of 1-5, with the only win coming from an even worse Texans team.

B.)had our former Starting QB sacked by the feds, his successor (Harrington) benched for the week 7 game against the Saints, his successor (Leftwich) injured by the Saints in said game, only to return Joey back to starter in a losing effort....now 1-6.

C) saw, in his brilliant wisdom, Petrino starting his evil plan (which would culminate 2 months later with the infamous "Suey" chant) to decimate this franchise by thinking: "Hmmm...we're 1-6 and I gotta shake things up. I know! Let me fire that Grady Jackson... never mind if he one of the few bright spots on this bad defense. Sure, stopping the run is the only thing we do well, but that guy speaks his mind too much for me."

D) were the laughing stocks of the NFL, with most of wanting to jump from the top of the Peachtree Plaza just to get away from the pain. Thank god we had to play the vaunted BYE in week 8...we almost lost that matchup too!

Now look at us, five years later!!!! 6-0, week 7....gone are greats like Mort, Alge, Grady,Ovie...also, gone are bums like Anderson, Harrington, and Petrino...Dunn is now one of the owners....Vick is back to his fumbling ways but in a different town...Real Coaches, real QB, and the best receiver/TE corp we could ask for....ballers on the defense who aren't afraid to knock people out.... and the 1-4 Aints are feeling similar pain while we are on top of the division and current AFC West Champs.....Life is so good!

i cant complain about not winning a playoff game. not after remembering how bad things were. ill take anything compared to then. i was so embarrassed to be a fan when Vick was all over the news. i still find it disturbing that people can't let it go and I see dozens of his jerseys at games.

i cant complain about not winning a playoff game. not after remembering how bad things were. ill take anything compared to then. i was so embarrassed to be a fan when Vick was all over the news. i still find it disturbing that people can't let it go and I see dozens of his jerseys at games.

Amen....I remember traveling to away games that year and being called 'dog killer' and 'JailBird'....by themselves not so bad but a horrible season only to be abandoned by the coach made it worse. Thank God for Dimitroff and Smith. I never thought I could feel lower than that.

If you look back at all those who have wronged us/squated on us in the past few years, just about all of them have gotten whats coming to them. I dont wanna be spiteful, but yeah I'm talking to you Petrino, Vick, Parcells, Saints organization/fanbase as a whole... heres lookin at all you losers hahahahahahahahaha

Agreed.

We've had some very tough years but we finally have solid pieces to the puzzle.

This is why what the Falcons organization has done should be applauded & respected by the media & fans alike. We could very easily be the Cleveland Browns right now, instead we are the only NFC team that has had a winning record for the last 4 years. Playoff wins will come, so that's a cop out for all those who don't want to give us our props. I salute all the teams that have went on a late season run got hot & turned that into a Super Bowl win or appearance, but in a league where half of last seasons playoff teams won't make it this year, winning consistently has to stand for something. We are building a "program" that competes year in & year out for championships, some years we may fall short, but there will be years where we take that next step & even win it all. I think this is that year. When you look back & remember what this board felt like after that Monday night game against the Saints, & then the subsequent Bobby Quitrino "bailout" we probably couldn't get any lower. Now 5 years later after week 6 we are the only undefeated team in the league after 2 consecutive playoff appearances where in both cases we lost to the eventual champion, These are stories that movies are made about. We should own it,embrace it, & promote it every chance we get, if not for the ride, but to show the world what do Falcons do? RISE UP ( that's what i'm talking bout!)

Falcons are the greatest example of "brand" redemption, resurrection and turnaround in the history of sports, whether they when a playoff game or not!

They cleaned out the locker room and have invested in "character" instead of "characters".

Every year they get better.

And I think that's why there is a lack of talk about the Falcons. Characters bring attention. Character brings a lack of attention. Especially when just a few years ago the Falcons were the topic of almost every discussion.

This is why what the Falcons organization has done should be applauded & respected by the media & fans alike. We could very easily be the Cleveland Browns right now, instead we are the only NFC team that has had a winning record for the last 4 years. Playoff wins will come, so that's a cop out for all those who don't want to give us our props. I salute all the teams that have went on a late season run got hot & turned that into a Super Bowl win or appearance, but in a league where half of last seasons playoff teams won't make it this year, winning consistently has to stand for something. We are building a "program" that competes year in & year out for championships, some years we may fall short, but there will be years where we take that next step & even win it all. I think this is that year. When you look back & remember what this board felt like after that Monday night game against the Saints, & then the subsequent Bobby Quitrino "bailout" we probably couldn't get any lower. Now 5 years later after week 6 we are the only undefeated team in the league after 2 consecutive playoff appearances where in both cases we lost to the eventual champion, These are stories that movies are made about. We should own it,embrace it, & promote it every chance we get, if not for the ride, but to show the world what do Falcons do? RISE UP ( that's what i'm talking bout!)

Well said

You know its sad. My dad got me hooked on the Falcons back when I was around 5 years old (during the Steve Bartkowski days). The man watched the Falcons since their first season & a few years back just gave up on them & quit watching football out of frustration. I have stuck by them through thick & thin. Glad its paying off now.

I hate how to this day when i tell people i am a falcons fan, the first think brought up was the Vick incident. I just play stupid like, "Wha, what you mean", hahahaha, they get pissed because i dont feed into it. Not so much now, most are like, "I know you have got to be beside yourself now", and i respond with a big ol, HELLZ YEAH I AM!!!!!!!!

"Hmmm...we're 1-6 and I gotta shake things up. I know! Let me fire that Grady Jackson... never mind if he one of the few bright spots on this bad defense. Sure, stopping the run is the only thing we do well, but that guy speaks his mind too much for me."

I'll never forget that. The veterans on the team were baffled by that move. They knew how important Grady was.

Well, Petrino got his finally as well. I dated a girl named Karma once. Man...what a B1TCH.