Dallas Cowboys Need Fresh Set Of Eyes To Solve Their Problems

Rave

Dallas Cowboys need fresh set of eyes to solve their problems

The bad news is, the Dallas Cowboys have many problems. The good news is, they can begin to fix them with one solution.

The Dallas Cowboys need a fresh set of eyes. If Jerry Jones the owner won't go down the hall to fire Jerry Jones the general manager, he needs to bring in someone to help him see what's clear to many others.

They need someone to be cognizant of the inept in-game coaching. They need someone to reorganize the scouting department. I laugh when I hear the media elite refer to the Cowboys' premier talent. Where is that talent, exactly? Where is the chemistry or character? Dallas consistently underachieves because it doesn't have top-six talent in the NFC, let alone in the NFL.

What's the identity of the Cowboys? Think about that for a second. They don't have a prolific passing attack, a consistent running attack or a reliable defense. The Cowboys have been embarrassed by the Seattle Seahawks and Chicago Bears and suffered a depressing loss Sunday to the Baltimore Ravens. The flaws show.

The offensive line has been subpar yet again. The receiver position is thin. Dez Bryant ran a lazy route on that ill-fated two-point conversion attempt against the Ravens. In reality, that's the least of Dallas' worries with regard to its knucklehead receiver.

The quarterback is not elite. Sorry, Tony Romo, but it's true. Heck, he might not even be among the top two in his own division.

The Cowboys do not have a dominant defense. In a related story, defensive coordinator Rob Ryan has never led a dominant defense.

DeMarco Murray is hurt. Felix Jones can't stay healthy. The Cowboys' depth has been an issue for years.

And there's another little problem. Jason Garrett can't coach his way out of a paper bag. That might sound harsh, but frankly, I don't think it's harsh enough.

The Cowboys were inept on a potential game-winning drive in Baltimore. Garrett was totally clueless with his time management and game preparation. This gaffe shouldn't be pinned on Romo. It's on Garrett. There was no urgency. There seemingly was no plan. This was coming off a bye week. Did the Cowboys not practice? There were 22 seconds to go and Dallas needed a game-winning field goal. A team's focus, commitment and togetherness are all key ingredients to succeeding in those kinds of situations.

The Cowboys looked like the Bad News Bears of the NFL. They wasted vital time and yards. Predictably, Dan Bailey missed a 51-yard kick and the Cowboys lost by two.

Sadly, that's Cowboys football.

Last season, Garrett iced his own kicker against the Arizona Cardinals. If you remember the situation, he botched the clock management that time, too. We've seen this movie before.

In 2010, the Cowboys went 6-10. Last season, they were 8-8. In 2012, they are 2-3. I picked Dallas to go 7-9. Why? Because they aren't very good or well-coached. This is not a blip. This is a trend.

As sports fans, we suffer when Dallas isn't good. You always want the classic teams to be in the mix. Sports are more fun when you can love or hate the Los Angeles Lakers, the New York Yankees, Notre Dame and the Dallas Cowboys.

The Cowboys need a fresh set of eyes. It's a necessity. Everyone in the NFL knows it.

The Cowboys have no chance of being elite again unless it happens.

Follow Adam Schein on Twitter @AdamSchein

It all boils down to discipline. Cowboys are plenty talented.is this something new under garrett or has this been a problem before?

This is the problem, Van would rather rant and rave (lol) about how delusional the fanbase is and that they lose their **** at the sight of a loss. That is not the case at all. Its WHY we lose. Its the same thing year in and year out. We lose because of stupid mental mistakes that shouldnt still be happening. We are one of the most penalized teams in the NFL year in and year out.

Its like talking to a brick wall. No one is upset about losing. Losing happens. Its when you lose for the same reason over, and over, and over, and over again that is frustrating. When will the coaching staff be responsible for not turning that around? If its not the HC's job to stop that, then who's job is it?

I believe it's the players knowing they can be as indisciplined as they want cuz Jerry will just run Garrett out of town at the behest of his idiot fans. And then the next guy will deal with the same issues until he gets run out of town. And then the next guy will deal with those issues and the. The next guy comes in

And so on and so forth.

You are really blaming the fans now? THE FANS WANT HIM GONE BECAUSE THERE IS NO ACCOUNTABILITY!

Do you have ANY evidence to the contrary?

Im sick of this "its the fans fault, its the fans fault". Did the fans botch the end of the Arizona game last year? Did the fans botch the end of the Ravens game this year? Did the fans cause the 13 penalties and 2 drive killing penalties in the red zone?

Give it up.

Edited by Rave

This is the problem, Van would rather rant and rave (lol) about how delusional the fanbase is and that they lose their **** at the sight of a loss. That is not the case at all. Its WHY we lose. Its the same thing year in and year out. We lose because of stupid mental mistakes that shouldnt still be happening. We are one of the most penalized teams in the NFL year in and year out.

Its like talking to a brick wall. No one is upset about losing. Losing happens. Its when you lose for the same reason over, and over, and over, and over again that is frustrating. When will the coaching staff be responsible for not turning that around? If its not the HC's job to stop that, then who's job is it?

If its a year in year out issue, then the problem is much deeper then garrett. If so, then i get vans point about how bringing in a new coach wont help.

If its a year in year out issue, then the problem is much deeper then garrett. If so, then i get vans point about how bringing in a new coach wont help.

The coach should be showing some kind of improvement in the area. He hasnt. This is what Garrett said about penalties...

“Then certainly you have the option of saying, 'OK, if you continue to get penalized like this, you're going to be out of the lineup or you're going to be off the football team,'" Garrett said.

“Oh, I don’t know if we have a line in the sand,” Garrett said. “But trust me – we’re going to get it right.”

So, he mentions the option of sitting or cutting a player, but then says that there is no line in the sand. So when does this problem get to the point where you do put a line in the sand and start to say "enough is enough"?

The coach should be showing some kind of improvement in the area. He hasnt. This is what Garrett said about penalties...

So, he mentions the option of sitting or cutting a player, but then says that there is no line in the sand. So when does this problem get to the point where you do put a line in the sand and start to say "enough is enough"?

Benching your talented players doesnt give the team the best chance to win. Remember preseason? You dont want those guys who played in the second half going against other teams best.... But i wouldnt mind if the cowboys tried that in say... Two and a half weeks.

Benching your talented players doesnt give the team the best chance to win. Remember preseason? You dont want those guys who played in the second half going against other teams best.... But i wouldnt mind if the cowboys tried that in say... Two and a half weeks.

See, this is what I dont get. If the Cowboys were truly trying to change the culture of the team they would do ANYTHING. I could take losing if it was because we benched morons that couldnt stop making mental mistakes. Players will run all over you until you show them you are the boss. The only way to do that is to show them that their spot isnt safe regardless of who they are. If you are scared to bench a player then you have already lost their respect. Period.

Playing in the NFL is a privilege not a right, some players need to be reminded of that.

Edited by Rave

See, this is what I dont get. If the Cowboys were truly trying to change the culture of the team they would do ANYTHING. I could take losing if it was because we benched morons that couldnt stop making mental mistakes. Players will run all over you until you show them you are the boss. The only way to do that is to show them that their spot isnt safe regardless of who they are. If you are scared to bench a player then you have already lost their respect. Period.

Playing in the NFL is a privilege not a right, some players need to be reminded of that.

We arent alking about benching a player... Its not one person who is commiting all those penalties(is it?). What about the fans who pay good, hard earned money? Isnt there a responsibility to them to put the best product on the field? What about the competitive balance in the league?

You want to make a diffference, then stop consuming the product. Send jerry a message with a half empty palace. Stop watching them. Stop going to games. Stop buying cowboy jerseys.

Money talks louder then any coach. Stop watching until they straighten out.... There is still room on our bandwagon.

We arent alking about benching a player... Its not one person who is commiting all those penalties(is it?). What about the fans who pay good, hard earned money? Isnt there a responsibility to them to put the best product on the field? What about the competitive balance in the league?

You want to make a diffference, then stop consuming the product. Send jerry a message with a half empty palace. Stop watching them. Stop going to games. Stop buying cowboy jerseys.

Money talks louder then any coach. Stop watching until they straighten out.... There is still room on our bandwagon.

Free and Smith lead the league in penalties. Enough said.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT MADE JERRY JONES, MAKE THAT STATEMENT

TODAY? DON'T HE UNDERSTAND HIS STATEMENT IS PUTTING EVEN MORE

PRESSURE ON THE TEAM? OR DOES JERRY EVEN CARE? I PERSONALLY

THINK IT WAS JUST MORE OF HIS EGOMANATICAL BRAVADO. JERRY IS

NUTS, A RICH NUT, BUT A NUT ALL THE SAME. NO WONDER JIMMY JONES

GOT HIS HAT AND RODE INTO THE SUNSET.

I MEANT JIMMY JOHNSON, I GOT JONES-ITUS.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT MADE JERRY JONES, MAKE THAT STATEMENT

TODAY? DON'T HE UNDERSTAND HIS STATEMENT IS PUTTING EVEN MORE

PRESSURE ON THE TEAM? OR DOES JERRY EVEN CARE? I PERSONALLY

THINK IT WAS JUST MORE OF HIS EGOMANATICAL BRAVADO. JERRY IS

NUTS, A RICH NUT, BUT A NUT ALL THE SAME. NO WONDER JIMMY JONES

GOT HIS HAT AND RODE INTO THE SUNSET.

Exactly. Jerry acts more like a promoter than an owner.

I agree with everything you're saying.

Jimmy Johnson was all about holding his players accountable.

As long as they were scrubs.

He knew he needed his best players in the field.

The Cowboys are a giant cash register and it would take a couple of 2-14 or 3-13 seasons to slow it down.

The Cowboys have a huge fan base here and I speak from experience.

They have little football knowledge and are mostly that stereotypical Cowboy fan everyone knows and hates.

I'm sure it's like that all over this country of ours.

Yeah I'm sure Jimmy would never trade a star player for the benefit of the team...

How quickly we forget the Hershel Walker trade. Jimmy NEVER put a PLAYER above the TEAM.

Edited by Rave

Outside of Romo, Austin, Witten, Dez, Murray, Ware, Carr, Spencer, Lee, and Claiborne, I agree.

Those are your superstars. Talent is what your choaching staff can work with to built their next superstar. Look at the falcons.

Ryan White, jones, Tony G (might be last year), Spoon, Abe (getting older and only pass rusher), Grimes (been hurt 2 seasons in a row, best corner), and Asante (Eagles say he is in steep decline).

Turner is sucking except for 1 game

Rodgers is a joke. Mini Turner

Dent isnt making any dents in anything

Did i mention we still have the worst LT in the NFL sam freaking "t-rex arms" baker. But Baker is the perfect example.

We lost 2 MLB`ers we brought in before the season started. We lost our rookie starting FB for the full season and Jones had cut his hand and couldnt catch, Grimes is chilling on the bench for the rest of the season.

Differance is coaching staff and FO. Nolan dont even have the players to run the 2 types of D he prefers. So he is on the 3rd set of D schemes and making that work (thats some serious coaching).

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschel_Walker_trade

They knew how bad they were even with walker.

And they'd have been stupid not to make the deal.

I think you're kinda re writing history a bit.

It's not like the Cowboys were a couple players away.

That trade was to put them back at ground zero with the rebuild.

And set the wheels in motion for the dynasty to follow.

Name one time a stat player was disciplined by jimmy.

Closest he came was not starting Irvin for being late for a flight to Detroit.

And I think he missed ONE drive.

Talk about bringing the hammer down.

As I've said before jimmy was all about making an example out of someone.

As long as that someone was a scrub.

OK, even if Jimmy didn't doesn't mean it shouldn't happen. Watch Vernon Davis play, now try to say Singletary had nothing to do with that. Remember Singletary sending him to the showers early? That's what Dallas needs. Do that one time and I guarantee you'll get everyone's attention.

Haven't you at one point or another wanted Dez and Spencer off the team.

Dez has been what I've been waiting for him to be the last 2 games. If he keeps it up Ill have no problem with him.

I think Spencer is overpaid, but that doesn't mean he's not talented. His importance has been evident the last 2 games. Never said he sucked though, but we need to either extend him or not resign him because $10mil a year is way too much for him.

Those are your superstars. Talent is what your choaching staff can work with to built their next superstar. Look at the falcons.

Ryan White, jones, Tony G (might be last year), Spoon, Abe (getting older and only pass rusher), Grimes (been hurt 2 seasons in a row, best corner), and Asante (Eagles say he is in steep decline).

Turner is sucking except for 1 game

Rodgers is a joke. Mini Turner

Dent isnt making any dents in anything

Did i mention we still have the worst LT in the NFL sam freaking "t-rex arms" baker. But Baker is the perfect example.

We lost 2 MLB`ers we brought in before the season started. We lost our rookie starting FB for the full season and Jones had cut his hand and couldnt catch, Grimes is chilling on the bench for the rest of the season.

Differance is coaching staff and FO. Nolan dont even have the players to run the 2 types of D he prefers. So he is on the 3rd set of D schemes and making that work (thats some serious coaching).

Our "next" guys are Claiborne, Carter, and Smith. That's all I see as "up and comers".

As for your comment about Nolan adjusting to what he has, Ill get back to you when Garrett learns his team would be better off being run first pass second. I don't think he gets that. We only ran against Baltimore because they are terrible against the run.

Our "next" guys are Claiborne, Carter, and Smith. That's all I see as "up and comers".

As for your comment about Nolan adjusting to what he has, Ill get back to you when Garrett learns his team would be better off being run first pass second. I don't think he gets that. We only ran against Baltimore because they are terrible against the run.

People that fly from 1 state to the next get there. People who drive in a car get there as well. Same results it just takes longer. People used to flying cant stand going slow.

not only that but they have to understand clock management and when to step on the gas. Running is nice but if your gonna commit to running vs a high powered pass team, you better be able to keep them in check for 4Q`s and run so well the other O doesn't get on the field.

Running is all about time of possession and dragging the game out at a slow pace and wearing the D out. So when you do strike they cant handle it.

Then the next thing is you gotta know what plays to call to get into decent field goal position.

Thats all situational stuff and i dont think its Garrett's strong suit. Nor Jones for that matter or even the majority of the fans. Dallas lose 1 game being a running team and everyone will cry "why didnt we pass?". Garrets not a strong enough coach to answer that and justify it like Smith will.

Edited by danight

Or lose and only have 15 carries and it's why didn't we run more.

If you want to know why we dont run more...just look at the team's perfomance. If we fumbled a KO, allowed a blocked punt, and then threw an INT, chances are we arent going to be able to run. Most fans dont pay that much attention to the details. I dont say we need to run more just to run. Running puts the other offense on the sideline. The problem with Dallas is they arent giving themselves a chance to run a lot this year. With that said, I do believe Garrett should run more in the first quarter. Garrett passes in the first half to set up the run in the second half. I think we should start running before the third quarter.

In the off season I thought smith should've been canned as well. I take that back.

The dude has is team in line.

And IMO being there from Matty's beginning has helped with they're success.

I just thought that maybe the falcons had outgrown him.

I was wrong.

Was Garrett the right guy at the time of his hiring?

Probably not.

But I'm holding out hope that Jerry meant what he was saying when he said wanted to build a culture around garrett and his work ethic.

Am I thrilled with the games been played so far?

Of course not, but you've got to see some positives with this team.

Especially with the young guys.

And IMO firing Garrett without cleaning house roster wise shows (to me) that Jerry isn't interested in winning.

It shows that all he wants to do is keep people interested.

And if that happens I may have to reconsider my interest in the nfl.

It's cowboys or nothing for me cuz I'm no Tammy two team

Im a 100% dedicated Cowboys fan, always have been, but it would be a lie if I said that Ive never thought of giving up until Jerry gave up control. Jerry came out recently and said that we can compete for the Super Bow this year. When Garrett was asked about the comments he said that he wasnt worried about the Super Bowl, he was concentrating on Carolina.

Thats the problem in Dallas. The owner and coach arent on the same page. In my opinion Jerry needs to get on Garrett's page. Week to week is what you should be concentrating on. We havent even played 2 division games, talk about the Super Bowl has no place in the conversation as of now.

Now, as of my opinion of where this team is going. Im happy with the players that are being brought in by Garrett. I think Garrett should be given the ability to add who he wants. Jerry should take a back seat and just sign the checks. Jerry's player evaluation has been shown to be wrong over and over again.

With that said, my only proble with Garrett is his brain farts and lack of discipline. If he were to fix those two things I would have no problem with him as the coach.