Rushing Touchdowns Our Defense Has Allowed......

Dusty

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Numbers do lie

That low amount of running tds is due to the defense causing a lot of turnovers before they actually get a td. That still doesn't mean that these running backs are not carving up that nickle defense outside of the redzone.

Defense is doing great. They've won half of our games imo. I just think that if they can cut down on these rushing yards and do a lot better at tackling, this team won't be stopped.

Numbers do lie

That low amount of running tds is due to the defense causing a lot of turnovers before they actually get a td. That still doesn't mean that these running backs are not carving up that nickle defense outside of the redzone.

Defense is doing great. They've won half of our games imo. I just think that if they can cut down on these rushing yards and do a lot better at tackling, this team won't be stopped.

Except .... that's not a low number.

At this point - we should have allowed 4 or less.

We allowed 2 in the KC game - one by Cassel on a QB sneak and one by Draughn from the 4 yard line. The Chiefs are currently ranked 3rd in rushing and 13th in rushing TDs

We allowed 2 in the Denver by McGahee. The Broncos are currently ranked 24th in rushing and 13th in rushing TDs.

We allowed 2 in the Panthers game - one by Newton on a QB goal line leap and the other by DeAngelo Williams. The Panthers are ranked 13th in rushing and 8th in rushing TDs

We allowed 1 in the Oakland game by McFadden. The Raiders are ranked 29th in rushing and 21st in rushing TDs. However, McFadden is extremely talented.

Encouraging is that we didn't allow any from Redskins - who are ranked 2nd in the league in rushing and 1st in rushing TDs.

Not to open up any festering wounds, but could the loss of Lofton be a littlle more significant that most here will admit?

I said that the drop off from Lofton to Dent would be huge and people laughed me off the board. The thing is they were trying to fix the long time horrible pass D which is what the nickel does at the risk of taking out the MLB. The only problem is when Dent is in he is a terrible MLB which should be the surest run stopper on the team.

In years past this would be more of an issue. The league has become more pass oriented and Nolan has done a great job disguising coverages.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be an area of concern because it is definitely our biggest defensive weakness. Teams will begin game planning more of a rushing attack against us starting next week with the Eagles. I fully expect Reid to run at our undersized unit frequently and also use misdirection to counter our team's defensive speed. Wrapping up will be essential.

Fast starts will be key for us all season. Anytime we can force the issue with an early lead will play to our benefit allowing our nickle coverages to flourish.

5th most rushing yards given up in the nfl

tied for 3rd most rushing touchdowns given up

3rd most rushing first downs given up

tied for 1st most rushes of 40 yards or more

3rd most rushes of 20+ yards

Our run D isn't just bad, it's practically the worst.

You forgot 31st in Yards per Carry.

Glad to help.

Not to open up any festering wounds, but could the loss of Lofton be a littlle more significant that most here will admit?

You'd have a better point if the Saints were any better than Atlanta against the run, or if the Saints weren't on pace to be the worst defense in NFL history.

The Raiders gashed us on 3 big plays...the other games were to be expected IMHO.

Funny how this board acts as if Lofton wouldn't have benefited from Nolan as other players...2 dwn LBers are a dime a dozen on TATF/Flowery

Branch/Bleacher Report rhetoric.

The run "D" is a concern, but I blame the ineptitude of the "O" the last 2 games more than the overall "D".

No doubt ...but with over a week till the 7 game it's a little to early to discuss the turds flushed down the toilet. Nolan will figure it out. Besides they are 6-0, Just win baby.....

No doubt ...but with over a week till the 7 game it's a little to early to discuss the turds flushed down the toilet. Nolan will figure it out. Besides they are 6-0, Just win baby.....

Cmon now just cause he left on a sour note, no reason to get ugly. Bottom line is we were much better with CL than we are today with who? Dent.