Matt Bosher Is Punter Of The Week

Guvmintcheeze

Matt Bosher is Punter of the Week

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

As I watched Atlanta’s Matt Bosher on Sunday, I couldn’t help but think how patience paid off for the Falcons.

atl.gifEarly last season, a lot of fans were screaming for the Falcons to dump their rookie punter. His punts were short and so were his kickoffs. But the Falcons had a draft pick invested in him and were stuck with him. It started to pay off as last season went on, but Bosher is really blossoming this season.

Each week since the start of last season, ESPN’s Mark Simon has picked a Punter of the Week. His choice for this week is Bosher and you can’t argue with that.

Bosher averaged 52.8 yards per punt both gross and net in Sunday’s victory against Oakland. Bosher’s four punts went 55, 45, 57 and 54 yards.

The 52.8-yard net average was the best for any NFL punter this past week and the best for any punter this season (minimum four punts). It is tied for third-best by any punter in the last five seasons.

Complete net punting data dates back to 1991. Bosher’s 52.8 net average is the best for any Atlanta punter in that span.

Dude is really coming into his own. Pretty much all of us questioned his leg last year, but not so this year. He's been booming kicks deep in the endzone when we need him to, and he usually gets plenty of hangtime on his punts. Plus, he can kick FGs. When Bryant retires, I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy as our FG kicker as well.

Bosher booms balls for sure, and that's the most important part. I would like to see his accuracy get a little better with shorter punts when we're out of field goal range. I'd like to see more teams start on their 5 or less.

I think there is too much luck involved to down it between the 1 and 5 yard line. Usually punters are tought to pin it at the 8-10 yard line, which results either in a fair catch or gives you at least a fair chance to stop it from going into the endzone for a touchback

Edited by Herr Beast

I wish we could play him at MLB.

He would be huge - his profile I reAd about him after the draft was like yeah he is a ferocious hitter and loves the ruff and tumble. He already has at least one tackle this season (last week ?)

TD and Smitty then said we'll try preserve him.

Love his attitude - like the boys sayhe'll be the Kicker when Matty Ice decides to hang up his legs!?!

As for the inside the 5 yard line - maybe he should watch some Ruby Union tape - we always look to hit it OoB inside the 5 - do you have to let it bounce in bounds first like Rugby does otherwise the ball is placed from where the original kick took place???????

Edited by leftfield

Not only is he physical - he already made 2 tackles this season and 7 (5 solo!) in 2011 - he is athletic enough for some kind of trick play on a fake punt. Plus he does a great job as the holder, is potentially the reserve kicker... what more can you potentially want more from your punter? He was a team captain at college and if you look closely, he is one of teh first guys to congratulate a team mate on a big play!

I think there is too much luck involved to down it between the 1 and 5 yard line. Usually punters are tought to pin it at the 8-10 yard line, which results either in a fair catch or gives you at least a fair chance to stop it from going into the endzone for a touchback

Yes, there is some luck involved but Bosher is still punting them a little short. For example there have been drives where we stalled around the 50 and Matt punts to the 20 or 15. His technique changes for short punts and I can see that he's trying to pin the other team back. Instead of kicking the ball "flat" and getting a spiral out of it, he'll drop the tip of the ball straight down, i'm assuming he does this to give us a better possible bounce but he's still kicking them a little too short.

Like I said before, he is booming his punts and that's the most important thing, he just needs to work on his accuracy and direction on shorter punts.

Dude is really coming into his own. Pretty much all of us questioned his leg last year, but not so this year. He's been booming kicks deep in the endzone when we need him to, and he usually gets plenty of hangtime on his punts. Plus, he can kick FGs. When Bryant retires, I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy as our FG kicker as well.

Remember when we tried that with Michael Koenen in 2006? That didn't work out so great. LOL! I've always wondered why we've seen plenty of guys be successful doing both punting and field goal kicking in college but that's never translated to the NFL. I think teams would try that more to open up another roster spot.

Net punting average

Bosher: #8 (42.4)

Koenen: #27 (37.6)

I take that, especially since Bosher makes $465.000 this year compared to the $3.000.000 salary of Koenen.

Koenen was never known for booming punts, but he was known for his great ability to pin teams deep.

Nope that is Janikowski

Yeah. Al Davis drafted him with the 17th overall pick of the 2000 draft.

Speaking of the 2000 draft, the Jets had 4 first round picks that year. I don't remember how they ended up with 4 first round picks. Does anyone here know how the Jets ended up with 4 first round picks that year? That was the year they drafted John Abraham, Shaun Ellis, Chad Pennington and can't remember who the 4th guy was.