Can Somebody With Some Actual Football Knowledge Explain To Me Why This Wouldn't Work?

cnasty

Due to our recent failures in the run game, why wouldn't Nolan consider lining up 3 or 4 DTs on early downs? There's still potential for pressure, especially if you blitz a LB. We have a decent amount of talent at the position, from what I can tell. What am I missing on this? I'm sure there's something there, either scheme wise or whatever that goes beyond basic football knowledge. I just don't know it is.

Due to our recent failures in the run game, why wouldn't Nolan consider lining up 3 or 4 DTs on early downs? There's still potential for pressure, especially if you blitz a LB. We have a decent amount of talent at the position, from what I can tell. What am I missing on this? I'm sure there's something there, either scheme wise or whatever that goes beyond basic football knowledge. I just don't know it is.

They did it against Washington Zone blocking for 1/3rd of the game, Nolan used 3 DT's. This won't always work because the defense will be susceptable to speed, DE are usually faster to set the edges. Bigger bodies doesn't mean they are faster. Watch the Eagles game against Skins couple of years where the big bodies of Skins couldnt match the Eagles speed and got blown out by like 57 points.

Edited by falcons007

We don't have a true NT......so we wouldn't line up with a three man front often.

Playing 4 DT's would inspire the offense to run outside, run screen passes and take shots down field.

Challenging the opposition to throw without your best DE on the field would be a mistake. (JA55)

I'm not saying it wouldn't work for a play or two but most OC's would find a way to exploit the mismatches.

We've given up rushing yards but not at times when the opponent can run it down your throat to grind out the clock. Big difference.

You do not want to do that on early downs. You still have 7 other players on defense you would need to include, because that changes the mismatches.

Do you have 2 LBers and 5 DB's? If so, the defense will be very susceptible to stretch, sweeps, tosses, screens, and anything else outside where the DT playing DE will have trouble changing directions. The other play that would completely eat up this defensive formation would be the misdirection plays. The QB hands off to a RB, getting the big bodies moving one direction and the reverse goes to a WR coming back the other way. Your defense does not have anybody fast enough to get upfield cutting off the reverse and force that WR back inside. He'd get the edge and you would pray somebody on the offense misses their block. The other problem you would run into is that these guys would get exhausted trying to run down these plays and the offense wouldn't want to change out personnel, keeping them on the field.

Do you have 3 LBers and 4 DB's? If so, the QB will have all day in the pocket to throw around on your coverage.

It's a game of matchups. If the offense comes out with 3 receiving threats, you have to have the personnel to matchup against both the pass and the rush. If the offense comes out with a heavy set for short yardage, you can throw more big bodies in there.

IMHO, we do not have the personnel to be able to shutdown both the pass and the run. We can effectively shutdown one by selling out on the other, but not shutdown both at the same time.

I have accepted that fact and I am ok with it. Others will stress about it, but it's not my biggest concern. My bigger concern is our inability to run the ball even when our opposition sells out to stop our passing game.

They did it against Washington Zone blocking for 1/3rd of the game, Nolan used 3 DT's. This won't always work because the defense will be susceptable to speed, DE are usually faster to set the edges. Bigger bodies doesn't mean they are faster. Watch the Eagles game against Skins couple of years where the big bodies of Skins couldnt match the Eagles speed and got blown out by like 57 points.

Yes. I definitely remember seeing Babs, Jerry, and Walker on the inside with Abe and (possibly Kroy?) standing up on a few plays against Washington.

Actually I noticed they did do this in the Raiders game. I counted 4 DT's on the line plus Bierman on the left end.

• 2 weeks later...

Nolan already did that against Redskins and continued to Eagles game. I guess we will see more in future.

Edited by falcons007