Thoughts On Turner Issue

big_D

In watching short down situations, I'm talking 3rd and 1 or at the goal line with inches to go, my grandmother can figure out our next play. There is Turner sitting in the backfield about 6 or 8 feet behind Ryan. No problem if the ball is anywhere but at a short yardage needed play. Now here is what happens. Ryan takes the snap, Turner has to get moving those 6 or 8 feet before he gets the ball from Ryan. In this short amount of time, the D line knows he's coming, and in these very few seconds they have time to work their way past our line of scrimmage. It would be nice if our O line kept them at bay so Turner could slam his run from at least the line of scrimmage. But no, he is usually hit before he reaches the line. I'm no O coordinator but it seems to me that if he started from a spot a bit closer to the line he'd have a better chance at penetrating the line. As it stands, our O line has done all they could to block and since it hasn't been enough, why can't Turner get a jump start by lining up closer? I know this is a long winded post but it bugs me when the whole stadium knows that he's getting the ball and we don't think out of the box to get the yardage needed. Ryan would have a better chance at the first down with a QB sneak since he'd be starting from practically the line of scrimmage. Oh well, I neeeded to get this off my chest.

Edited by big_D

I don't see the problem with the running game as being an issue with the backs. Maybe the line, maybe the schemes, but adjustments can and will be made and I am confident about that. I hate it when Quiz is given the ball and expected to move a pile that Turner couldn't move.

I guess it reverts back to the O line not getting the blocks on critical plays when it's crucial.

In watching short down situations, I'm talking 3rd and 1 or at the goal line with inches to go, my grandmother can figure out our next play. There is Turner sitting in the backfield about 6 or 8 feet behind Ryan. No problem if the ball is anywhere but at a short yardage needed play. Now here is what happens. Ryan takes the snap, Turner has to get moving those 6 or 8 feet before he gets the ball from Ryan. In this short amount of time, the D line knows he's coming, and in these very few seconds they have time to work their way past our line of scrimmage. It would be nice if our O line kept them at bay so Turner could slam his run from at least the line of scrimmage. But no, he is usually hit before he reaches the line. I'm no O coordinator but it seems to me that if he started from a spot a bit closer to the line he'd have a better chance at penetrating the line. As it stands, our O line has done all they could to block and since it hasn't been enough, why can't Turner get a jump start by lining up closer? I know this is a long winded post but it bugs me when the whole stadium knows that he's getting the ball and we don't think out of the box to get the yardage needed. Ryan would have a better chance at the first down with a QB sneak since he'd be starting from practically the line of scrimmage. Oh well, I neeeded to get this off my chest.

It takes 6 or 8 feet, at least, for Turner to get up 'a head of steam'.