Mock 16/10

Smiler11

1st. Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

As I see it, our biggest needs lie on both lines. Picking Matthews here helps us in a number of ways… He would be the long term successor to Sam Baker at LT, can play both LT and RT and it allows us to push Clabo in to RG strengthening 2 positions on the right side of our O-line. Matthews has great feet, is equally adept at pass blocking and run blocking and has a fantastic initial punch which disrupts DE’s.

2nd. Cornellius ‘Tank’ Carradine, DE, Florida State

Tank is flying up draft boards, but I see him being here at the bottom of the 2nd round. Ray Edwards is the weak spot of the defensive line and Abe only has a few years left, so DE will be a priority. Tank has great athleticism, and after replacing the injured Brandon Jenkins he has 41 tackles and 7 sacks through 7 games.

3rd. Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee

Behind Roddy, Julio and HD, the Falcons are very thin at WR. Patterson will provide Matt with another big receiving option, whilst giving Koetter another weapon to use as either a rusher or receiver. Patterson is also one of the best returners in college football. Through 6 games he has 23 receptions for 315 yards and 3 TD, 11 rushing attempts for 214 yards and 2 TD’s and has averaged 38 yards per kickoff return.

4th. Knile Davis, RB. Arkansas

Injuries and lack of production in 2012 has sent Davis’s stock tumbling. I can absolutely see him falling to the 4th round now. At his best Knile Davis is an athletic freak at 6-0 225 lbs running a 4.3 forty. He is capable of running inside the tackles as well as bouncing it outside. He has great hands and can turn a check down into a big play at any moment. He is a risk with an injury list as long as your arm, and based off his production this year alone he wouldn’t even be drafted, but when/if fit his game is very reminiscent of DMC.

4th (comp). Christine Michael, RB, Texas A&M

What another injury prone running back? In this scenario I have us letting Turner go as at this point in time his play isn’t deserving of his $8m cap figure in 2013. I had a solid 2nd round grade on Michael coming into the season, but he hasn’t rebounded well from injury in 2011 and his stock has fallen to the later rounds. At 5-11 220lbs he has similar size to Davis and is another well rounded back. With a move to a RB by committee approach, the Falcons stock pile talent at the RB position.

5th. Zaviar Gooden, LB, Mizzou

Linebacker is another position where the Falcons have little depth. Gooden is an outstanding athlete and his play is very reminiscent of Spoon. If Dent fails to step up, and I’m not completely giving up on him, then Gooden provides us with another versatile LB to pair with Spoon and Nicholas.

6th. Rashard Hall, FS, Clemson

We still need solid depth behind Moore and Decoud and Hall is more than adequate with the potential to start down the line.

7th Kenny Okoro, CB, Wake Forrest

Our starting cornerbacks have played very well and McClain looks very solid as a nickel corner. Okoro 6-0 190lbs gives us a big athletic corner to develop. After his Freshman and Junior years Okoro looked like a future first round pick. He’s failed to live up to that billing, but the talent is definitely still there. During his college career Okoro has racked up 28 PBU’s and 6 INT’s.

7th (comp) Trey Wilson, CB, Vanderbilt

Another tall athletic corner at 5-11, 195lbs. Taking two corners late with big upside in the hope of finding a gem. Wilson had a very good year last year opposite Casey Howard, he picked up 3 INT’s and 8 PBU’s.

I don't see Turner leaving as soon as next year.

Patterson won't declare for the draft if the best he can get is 3rd round.

Knile is done. Seems like a wasted pick to me.

Is Michael really that much better than Rodgers?

$8M for a RB who gets the ball maybe 15 snaps per game?

If Tyler Bray and Justin Hunter declare, then I have no doubt that Patterson will follow.

It's too early to say he is done, but he certaintly isn't a 100%. He has had moments though - the TD reception against Texas A&M springs to mind. He's a high risk high reward type pick.

Michael is a different back to Rodgers. His freshman and junior years he was dominant. I think he's the type of back who will be better in the pros.

$8M for a RB who gets the ball maybe 15 snaps per game?

If Tyler Bray and Justin Hunter declare, then I have no doubt that Patterson will follow.

It's too early to say he is done, but he certaintly isn't a 100%. He has had moments though - the TD reception against Texas A&M springs to mind. He's a high risk high reward type pick.

Michael is a different back to Rodgers. His freshman and junior years he was dominant. I think he's the type of back who will be better in the pros.

Oh there is no chance he sees that money. He will have to restructure which he will be more than willing to do.

I don't think it's too early to say he is done. He has played in 7 games and has looked bad in all of them.

He still fulfills the same change of pace role. Obviously Michael is faster.

This is ok but you don't have us picking a TE anywhere in this draft. We have to get one somewhere. Maybe instead of Patterson since TE is a bigger need. Or maybe instead of taking 2 backs. I doubt that Carradine a guys who didn't come into the year as a starter would be a second round pick but who knows.

This is ok but you don't have us picking a TE anywhere in this draft. We have to get one somewhere. Maybe instead of Patterson since TE is a bigger need. Or maybe instead of taking 2 backs. I doubt that Carradine a guys who didn't come into the year as a starter would be a second round pick but who knows.

Carradine is going to rise up boards - he's this years JPP.

I agree with TE, but I'm struggling seeing a guy, other than Eifert, who's going to come in and contribute right away. If TG does retire, then I think we need to look at FA to replace him.

Carradine is going to rise up boards - he's this years JPP.

I agree with TE, but I'm struggling seeing a guy, other than Eifert, who's going to come in and contribute right away. If TG does retire, then I think we need to look at FA to replace him.

I'd rather we draft talent than bring new people into our organization. I like Asante but no one else.

What about TG himself? I'm actually hoping that he plays another year.

I'm sure Tony will be done after this year. He already said that he doesn't want to be like Favre. We need to draft one next year and hopefully Palmer has learned something from playing behind Tony these last couple of years.

I don't see Turner leaving as soon as next year.

Patterson won't declare for the draft if the best he can get is 3rd round.

Knile is done. Seems like a wasted pick to me.

Is Michael really that much better than Rodgers?

I seriously doubt Turner will be here next season. His tank is about dry which will mean he's a sunk cost next season as a feature back. Rodgers and Snelling are definitely not the answer either since, in my opinion, they both suck, but they're more likely to be kept since Rodgers is young and they just re-signed Snelling to a cheap contract. I do not see them keeping four HBs so someone has to go if they draft a new RB, which they have to do considering how badly the backfield is doing this season, and Turner looks like the most likely to be on the chopping block.