Offensive Line To Blame, Not Turner, For Run Game Shortcomings

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1372958-atlanta-falcons-michael-turner-isnt-breaking-down-offensive-line-is-failing

Excellent detailed analysis. Maybe Koetter is abandoning the run because it's just not feasible with the line's performance? Also, I forgot all about Bradie Ewing, I think that was a bigger loss than first thought.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People don't understand that a play designed to go between the tackles is supposed to be open because of the blocking and it just has not been there. Sure, there have been times when Turner could have cut to the left or right and picked up some yards, but east to west usually results in a loss for a power running back like Turner.

It's both. There should be a hole SOMEWHERE and Turner is built low enough that he should be able to shed the first tackle. He's been playing for years and contrary to popular belief, a running back's vision is what separates the great ones from the chaff, not his legs.

With that said, the line has to at least give him a chance to find space. It's sort of a job requirement.

Football Outsiders advanced stats say that Turner is most likely the problem and OL sucks in blocking on Goal line.

http://www.footballo...rs.com/stats/ol

Turner,Quizz and Snelling sucked in the short yardage and goal line situations because of OL. But other wise looks like Turner has slowed down a lot , OL is not the best but they are not bad either.

Edited by falcons007

I have no doubt that one of the major issues Smith and the coaches are going to address on the bye week is how to get this OL blocking better in every phase of the run, pass and screen game. Their performance vs the Panthers was an absolute disgrace and embarrassment. Their performance vs the Raiders was possibly even worse. Inexcusable for a group which has changed little over the past couple of years and hasn't had any injury problems this season to hamper them. This pitiful play from the OL can not continue if the Falcons are going to make a run. Right now with the way they're playing even keeping Ryan healthy is a serious concern. I blame the players on the field for what's going on. It's time to grow a set and step up.

Edited by PokerSteve

People don't understand that a play designed to go between the tackles is supposed to be open because of the blocking and it just has not been there. Sure, there have been times when Turner could have cut to the left or right and picked up some yards, but east to west usually results in a loss for a power running back like Turner.

Try telling this to the people here on a sports message board who spend alot of time here. You have a very insightful post here. . . . . People will disagree, but I find it hard and (illogical) to even blame Turner for even an iota. I would not even give thought to that. Turner is nearing the tail end of a great career BUT I find it hard to believe he just dropped off overnight. It was just last season he was still a top 5 back in this league.

Fix the line. . . . .. . BOTH of them.

I am not really a "Turner lover" or an offensive line hater. I just know that it requires a team effort to get the job done and it has not been there in the running game. This will be corrected, but that has been the real problem.

Try telling this to the people here on a sports message board who spend alot of time here. You have a very insightful post here. . . . . People will disagree, but I find it hard and (illogical) to even blame Turner for even an iota. I would not even give thought to that. Turner is nearing the tail end of a great career BUT I find it hard to believe he just dropped off overnight. It was just last season he was still a top 5 back in this league.

You find it hard to believe that he just dropped off overnight? Why? Have you missed out on the running theme that happens to Rbs that turn 30? There are dozens of examples.....

You find it hard to believe that he just dropped off overnight? Why? Have you missed out on the running theme that happens to Rbs that turn 30? There are dozens of examples.....

Oh, I forgot. . . . on the AFMB that age of 30 is some magical number where athletes just fall off the map . . .no, not gradually, but instantly. . . .

please, forgive me

bottom line. .. . we need our running game as does Ryan.

Edited by irú olóyè kan ti Ôlörun

Oh, I forgot. . . . on the AFMB that age of 30 is some magical number where athletes just fall off the map . . .no, not gradually, but instantly. . . .

please, forgive me

bottom line. .. . we need our running game as does Ryan.

Are you blind?

http://www.footballperspective.com/a-closer-look-at-running-back-aging-patterns/

Read and learn. There is a reason the fantasy community basically puts any 30+ RBs on the do not draft list and it's not because of one or two flukes.

I still can't believe that we didn't score from here:

turner3b_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=330&q=85

First of all I think Turner has slowed down a bit, but he is not the problem. 95% lies with the o-line and 4.9% with the coaches for not changing the scheme up enough to get some type of running game going.

Look at the play above. The center and right guard have double teams the back side tackle. Why??? This is an off tackle dive to the strong side of the field. The back side guard should have cut or sealed the back side tackle allowing the Center to attack and block the Will or Mike. Clabo has sealed the backside correctly, blalock is holding (blocking) the strong side DT and Tony has EAT blocked (End and tackle) the strong side DE (nice block Tony). The failure here is that no one touched 33 (CB, SS?) and Bakers position on the Sam? SS? is terrible. Both of the defenders are going to hit Turner before he gets to the 2 yard line. Baker should be driving his man out of the play, he is in the wrong position to make that block and was slow getting to his man.

I blame Turner for not dropping his shoulder and running someone over. A CB should not stop him here, but this is a poorly designed and executed play by the O-line and OC.

As important as Turner has been for us the last several years, he was not a top 5 back last year. He was good for us last year, but was not a top 5 back in the Nfl. I like Turner, but he and the line share blame. The line may well deserve more of the blame, but Turner is just not as good as he once was; still better than Quizz running the ball, though.

Sure looks like OL fault,LOL. I guess Michael Turner did slow down, the truth is probably in the middle of what Turner lovers and Turner haters wants to believe.

Turner would have plowed that DB but the LB breaks free from Baker and one went low to stop the legs, the other high.

turner1.jpg

Edited by raysnill1