Pfw Audibles - Mike Nolan

atljbo

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/10/14/insider-rams-deserve-kudos-for-coaching-up-weak-o

The following quotes are from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on the condition of anonymity:

• “Mike Nolan was known for running the 3-4 defense in Baltimore and before he was in Baltimore, he ran the over/under 4-3. He didn’t have that stout nose or the personnel to make it work in Atlanta so he switched to the wide “40” and lined (DEs Kroy) Biermann and (John) Abraham (and Ray Edwards) outside in a wide-seven (technique). If you look at their (defensive) tackles — (Jonathan) Babineaux, (Peria) Jerry and (Vance) Walker — none of them can play the nose. That is great coaching.”

Guest Negatorris

Our run D has been poor this season because we don't care if teams run on us - they're just delaying the inevitable. We're designed, as a team, to get an early lead and defend the pass.

And for some reason we have been struggling to get an early lead in the past 3 weeks. We've been playing behind after NEVER trailing in the first 3 weeks. The Falcons did a whole 180, and they need to use this BYE to get their sh*t together.

Our run D has been poor this season because we don't care if teams run on us - they're just delaying the inevitable. We're designed, as a team, to get an early lead and defend the pass.

Did the offense get that message?

And for the record, we didnt do a good job defending the pass Sunday either.

Edited by the_sheff

And for some reason we have been struggling to get an early lead in the past 3 weeks. We've been playing behind after NEVER trailing in the first 3 weeks. The Falcons did a whole 180, and they need to use this BYE to get their sh*t together.

Ryan was really off against the raiders. on every INT he threw he hesitated. if he doesn't there woulda been a big gain from HD, a TD with Julio and most likely a completion to a wide open Tony G. plus when we get at the goal-line we put in d@mn near every lineman we got on the roster in the game. man just go 4 WR set and run the ball behind Blalock and Baker. ain't no one man gone bring down Turner. Koetter need to quit making things difficult

We have largely sucked against the run for three main reasons:

1. Akeem Dent, when in at MLB, can't stop anything.

2. Our DTs (aside from Babs' atypical display in rush defense against the Raiders) have been AWFUL against the run this year. Abe, too, has been subpar in the running game (although he, like Babs, had one of his best displays against the run Sunday).

3. Tackling is downright dreadful. Did it appear as though we missed a lot of tackles Sunday? If you said "Yes," you won't be surprised that we racked up 11-tying a season high. In fact, according to PFF, we are on pace to surpass last season's total of 138 by a whopping 31 tackles. Sure, not all of the missed tackles have been against ball carriers, but there have been too many times where we have whiffed at stopping the RB in the backfield or for minimal gain--only to have a big run ripped off.

There is some truth to the notion that in our scheme we are focusing on stopping the pass, but we aren't selling out to do so while spiting our run defense.

Unlike what many fans believe, our run defense is terrible moreso because of personnel and not scheme.

Edited by I Am The Truth

Unlike what many fans believe, our run defense is terrible moreso because of personnel and not scheme.

I think so too. Dent looks bad. I mean BAD. Sure, Nolan likes using the nickel a lot because it's a passing league but Dent's ineffectiveness in general may contribute to Nolan using that package a lot. Just to keep him off the field. MLB will need an upgrade if Dent keeps this up. And yeah, tackling is AWFUL. Need to get that fixed.

And when we are in the nickel, we get gashed because our DTs are poor against the run. That is why I think we need a big DT that can move around and play the run. Especially to help out the LBs when the other teams do run on us when we're in the nickel. Unfortunately, you're not gonna find somebody like that at this point in the season. Can Peters be that guy from now on? Will Robertson see some playing time? Will the coaches give Vance the majority of the snaps along with Babs? I would like to see all three of those things to happen. I mean, it can't get any worse vs the run. Might as well change it up a bit. I hope the coaches make the proper adjustments in the bye.

So obviously, we can't upgrade MLB and DT significantly at this point in the season. There's no one out there. We have to work with what we have. Walker and Travian need more snaps and take some away from Jerry. If Peters can come back healthy, he could be a big boost to the run D. I would look to draft a big DT that can move early next year (the kind Nolan likes and this D needs). Jerry isn't showing much and Babs isn't getting younger. MLB may be upgraded if Dent keeps this play up.

The Falcons need this bye to get their sh*t together??? Wut??? But we're 6-0!!!! You negative nancies are just ruining this board. You all never see the good things our team does. This post is just disgraceful. I don't know what to say. I'm extremely upset that somebody could come in here and tear our great team down like this. Have you no shame???

I think so too. Dent looks bad. I mean BAD. Sure, Nolan likes using the nickel a lot because it's a passing league but Dent's ineffectiveness in general may contribute to Nolan using that package a lot. Just to keep him off the field. MLB will need an upgrade if Dent keeps this up. And yeah, tackling is AWFUL. Need to get that fixed.

And when we are in the nickel, we get gashed because our DTs are poor against the run. That is why I think we need a big DT that can move around and play the run. Especially to help out the LBs when the other teams do run on us when we're in the nickel. Unfortunately, you're not gonna find somebody like that at this point in the season. Can Peters be that guy from now on? Will Robertson see some playing time? Will the coaches give Vance the majority of the snaps along with Babs? I would like to see all three of those things to happen. I mean, it can't get any worse vs the run. Might as well change it up a bit. I hope the coaches make the proper adjustments in the bye.

So obviously, we can't upgrade MLB and DT significantly at this point in the season. There's no one out there. We have to work with what we have. Walker and Travian need more snaps and take some away from Jerry. If Peters can come back healthy, he could be a big boost to the run D. I would look to draft a big DT that can move early next year (the kind Nolan likes and this D needs). Jerry isn't showing much and Babs isn't getting younger. MLB may be upgraded if Dent keeps this play up.

I agree completely with your analysis and your suggestions on how to improve this situation in the near-term. Obviously some things are going to have to wait until the draft and free agency to be corrected.

The Falcons need this bye to get their sh*t together??? Wut??? But we're 6-0!!!! You negative nancies are just ruining this board. You all never see the good things our team does. This post is just disgraceful. I don't know what to say. I'm extremely upset that somebody could come in here and tear our great team down like this. Have you no shame???

New England went 18-0 just to come up short. Every team has room to improve, this team looked amazing the first three weeks and looked back to last years form the last three weeks. I'm very excited about the potential but after being at the game Sunday, but there are things that need tightened up...to not see that you are either blind or you didn't watch the games, just looked at the record. We have the people in place, we just need to get back to the form we were in durin preseason and the first three weeks.

3. Tackling is downright dreadful. Did it appear as though we missed a lot of tackles Sunday? If you said "Yes," you won't be surprised that we racked up 11-tying a season high. In fact, according to PFF, we are on pace to surpass last season's total of 138 by a whopping 31 tackles. Sure, not all of the missed tackles have been against ball carriers, but there have been too many times where we have whiffed at stopping the RB in the backfield or for minimal gain--only to have a big run ripped off.

Im pretty sure all the missed tackles were against the ball carrier.. I dont think they count the missed tackles against anyone else unless you count the penalties..

Did the offense get that message?

And for the record, we didnt do a good job defending the pass Sunday either.

Haha, exactly - it's a bit of a flaw in the plan:

Nolan: "it's fine, let them run all day! Let them run the clock down! Makes no odds to us when we've put up an early lead!"

Koetter: "Psssst, Mike... there's something you should know... we're not winning"

Nolan: "........................."

There were a few key passes, I think on third down, when you could see exactly what was going to happen yet we didn't cover properly. McFadden was always going to be a key target on third down, and I remember clearly no-one picking him up when he came out the backfield, and another time Dunta was running with his man (I think it was Moore) across the middle and then just let him go, and he made the catch.

Although I never gave up hope, I thought the game was done when the refs overturned the call on Julio's catch. LIttle did I know how many more twists and turns were in store!

Ryan was really off against the raiders. on every INT he threw he hesitated. if he doesn't there woulda been a big gain from HD, a TD with Julio and most likely a completion to a wide open Tony G. plus when we get at the goal-line we put in d@mn near every lineman we got on the roster in the game. man just go 4 WR set and run the ball behind Blalock and Baker. ain't no one man gone bring down Turner. Koetter need to quit making things difficult

He was hit on 2 of them.

The defender had his arm on the one to Julio - and he was hit from the front on the one to Tony. The one to Harry was a horrible decision he made.

As for Koetter - he's doing what he needs to do to help with the protection when the line can't hold. Ryan took a beating out there. 4 WR can't block enough.

We gave up 10 points to the Skins on defense. We were behind because of a pick six. Defense needs to improve, but it's not the problem right now, in my opinion.

He was hit on 2 of them.

The defender had his arm on the one to Julio - and he was hit from the front on the one to Tony. The one to Harry was a horrible decision he made.

As for Koetter - he's doing what he needs to do to help with the protection when the line can't hold. Ryan took a beating out there. 4 WR can't block enough.

He didn't do much to help himself either. If protection breaks down, scramble. He's not sliding in the pocket to avoid pressure.

Edited by JerseyNo12

Im pretty sure all the missed tackles were against the ball carrier.. I dont think they count the missed tackles against anyone else unless you count the penalties..

The tackling wasn't great and the Mo Pete miss was yeah like WTF..I'm not to worried about this though I think its easily corrected.

I will say this though and give the Raiders RB's and WRer's credit they ran hard and they dictated the contact situation and if I'm honest especially McFadden and Goodson were going looking for contact so to me they won the battle.

We need a healthy Nick back 100% to play the majority of the defensive snaps he's our best open field tackler and theres no way he misses the same tackle Mo Pete missed.

He didn't do much to help himself either. If protection breaks down, scramble. He's not sliding in the pocket to avoid pressure.

On the throw to Julio - he was about to get hit, moved away from that one, stepped up to make the throw - then he got wrapped up from the side by a different defender. If he slid on these - he would have taken a sack.

No, he's not a Ben Roethlisberger or your boy Aaron - but that line was horrible on Sunday. I was there - and I saw how many times he went down or took a hit just as he threw or after he threw.

Surprised he lasted the game to be honest. Wasn't as bad as he took against the 49ers a couple of years ago - but it was bad.

On the throw to Julio - he was about to get hit, moved away from that one, stepped up to make the throw - then he got wrapped up from the side by a different defender. If he slid on these - he would have taken a sack.

No, he's not a Ben Roethlisberger or your boy Aaron - but that line was horrible on Sunday. I was there - and I saw how many times he went down or took a hit just as he threw or after he threw.

Surprised he lasted the game to be honest. Wasn't as bad as he took against the 49ers a couple of years ago - but it was bad.

Haven't see the replay as yet Tandy but from what I saw it didn't even look like Ryan could step up as the pocket was getting collapsed also..

Richard Seymour LeMarr Houston and Tommy Kelly look like they were feasting on our Guards and Centre..

Haven't see the replay as yet Tandy but from what I saw it didn't even look like Ryan could step up as the pocket was getting collapsed also..

Richard Seymour LeMarr Houston and Tommy Kelly look like they were feasting on our Guards and Centre..

He stepped up from the first guy - but the second one got him. Waiting on the coaches film to come out - and I'll get some screen shots.