Is It Time To Scrap The "jumbo" Package?

north falcon

Maybe I'm dead wrong, but I feel like whenever we have Hawley in at FB, or have a 6th OL man to block, we gain zero or negative yards.

If we've used it 8 times this season, I feel like it's worked once and failed miserably 7 times.

(I could be wrong, just going off the top of my head)

We used it on that hail mary in the panthers game. Its been a struggle for us to block a 4 man rush at times we need to do something.

I listened to the game on the radio and when we were on the 2-yard line, I think we used our jumbo package on third down and Snelling got stuffed for a loss.

Why do we never QB sneak? (i'm aware a QB sneak doesn't work for 2 yards, but when it's a yard or less we still never use it)

Correction: we were on the 1 foot line.

The block is being made and if the back is right behind Hawley he can cut either direction off the block.

The back is nowhere near Hawley when he makes his block. So if we are going to use it we need to

use it. Then if it doesn't work we can scrap it. Hawley is laying the wood and his guy may not be blown

out of the hole but he is neutralized.

Even worse. But why do we never QB sneak? Is it because Smith knows that we can't get any push?

Must be - because it seems every time we have 1 foot to go - we are either in shotgun or throw the ball backwards at somebody. So instead of a foot - we're always trying to get 3 - 5 yards. Don't quite get that.

Everyone in the preseason was sayin the sky is the limit for the offense unless the O-line holds us back

First 3 games of the season our O looked unstoppable and the line looked great and everyone forgot about our O-line yet slowly but surely the O-line has regressed to their poor performance from last year(except they can't even run block anymore now either)

Looks like everyone was right. Something has to be done

Edited by Dirtybird56

Even worse. But why do we never QB sneak? Is it because Smith knows that we can't get any push?

Yeah, I (sadly) think that is the case. Smith/Koetter have no trust in our offensive line to get any push off the ball in short yardage situations. And our players (Turner, Snelling, Quizz, Ryan) have all showed over the past two seasons that they can't make anything happen on their own in 3rd and 1, 4th and 1 situations.

Everyone in the preseason was sayin the sky is the limit for the offense unless the O-line holds us back

First 3 games of the season our O looked unstoppable and the line looked great and everyone forgot about our O-line yet slowly but surely the O-line has regressed to their poor performance from last year(except they can't even run block anymore now either)

Looks like everyone was right. Something has to be done

the oline is hard to read to me they had 4 good to grat games and had 2 really bad games against the panthers and raiders

If anything they should've used that pass play to Hawley the one from the redskins game during that goal line play. The Raiders would have thought one or two things. He is either blocking or he can't catch.

That would have been better than what they ran on first down