Kudos To Smitty For Holding The Flag

If you're gonna criticize a coach when he blows it, you need to give him credit when he does something good.

During the "almost" interception by McClain on Oakland's final scoring drive there were a LOT of fans calling for Smitty to challenge that McClain had full control before dropping it. The logic was, "we have the lead and 3 timeouts, what do we have to lose?". I was one of those fans.

But Smitty kept his head and (as he usually does) made his own decision. His stubborness paid off.

Asante was nicked up near the goal line, costing us one timeout. On another play in the final drive, Quizz didn't get out of bounds, costing us a second. Had Smitty burned a TO on that unlikely challenge, there was no way we could have gotten a field goal off. Holding on to the challenge flag in hindsight turned out to be an excellent coaching decision that won us the game in regulation. And considering how gassed our D was at the end, it probably won the game overall.

If you're gonna criticize a coach when he blows it, you need to give him credit when he does something good.

During the "almost" interception by McClain on Oakland's final scoring drive there were a LOT of fans calling for Smitty to challenge that McClain had full control before dropping it. The logic was, "we have the lead and 3 timeouts, what do we have to lose?". I was one of those fans.

But Smitty kept his head and (as he usually does) made his own decision. His stubborness paid off.

Asante was nicked up near the goal line, costing us one timeout. On another play in the final drive, Quizz didn't get out of bounds, costing us a second. Had Smitty burned a TO on that unlikely challenge, there was no way we could have gotten a field goal off. Holding on to the challenge flag in hindsight turned out to be an excellent coaching decision that won us the game in regulation. And considering how gassed our D was at the end, it probably won the game overall.

Holy cow, good point man.

I'm on the bandwagon that he should have challenged. It looked to me like McLain had control of the ball, fumbled, and then recovered it. IF Smitty challenged and the play is overturned we get the ball and just have to run out the clock. IF we lose the challenge we still have a chance to win the game, only instead of kicking on first we spike the ball, run the kick team out and kick with :01 on the clock and there is no kick off.

I'm a little miffed that we didn't challenge, but I'm glad we are 6-0 going into the bye.

McClain was trying to climb back on his feet using his knees. I think one of his knees knocked the ball loose. Those rules on possession and "football moves" are very open to interpretation. You'd like to think we would've gotten the ball, but the call on the field was an incomplete pass. It would've had to be overwhelming evidence the other way.

Smitty did the right thing by being patient, and it turned out to be a game winning coaching decision. I do NOT think we would've had enough time otherwise. We've been skirting by these wins by the skins of our teeth. There's only so far you can push it before the sheer odds just beat you.

I guess I'm in the minority because I didn't think he fully had possession. Had he stayed on the ground it would have been a done deal but it was fluid motion making the catch but I couldn't see that he did anything that would have been considered a football move while he had possession. I'll have to watch it again but based on what I saw yesterday and in the game replays it wasn't an interception.

No way the officials were going to overturn that after it was ruled an incompletion on the field. Great job of Smitty not to throw the flag.

Of course, McClain needs to realize that if he just holds onto that ball, it's pretty much game over. No need to try to jump up and start running with it.

Edited by virginiafalcon

I really thought it was a pick. I mean he caught it, fumbled, and then recovered

nope, an interception is just like a pass completion, have to maintain control all the way to the ground and beyond. that was NOT controlled all the way through, thanks to McClain wanting to get up and run with it. if he had just focused on staying on the ground with the ball, he most likely wouldn't have lost control of it.

basically the same type of play that happened on JJ's catch that was overturned. that wasn't a catch because JJ lost control, even if he did wind up with the ball in his hands when it was done. not a catch, fumble and recovery, because it was never a catch to begin with