The Problem With The Offense Boils Down To 1 Thing.

the_sheff

We are having trouble blocking a 4 man rush.

When you cant block a 4 man rush with 5 linemen then you cant have 3 receivers, a tight end, and a RB. So essentially when we want to pass we have to take our RB off the field, that lets the D know they dont have to worry about anything but playing pass. If we could block a 4 man rush we could have our full arsenal of weapons on the field and the D would have no idea if it was a run or pass.

When you cant block a 4 man rush with 5 linemen then you cant have 3 receivers, a tight end, and a RB. So essentially when we want to pass we have to take our RB off the field, that lets the D know they dont have to worry about anything but playing pass. If we could block a 4 man rush we could have our full arsenal of weapons on the field and the D would have no idea if it was a run or pass.

Not true. Koetter is a little too pass happy right now. Had 1st & goal and his first play is a pass. Did the same in the Panthers game. He needs to run more of the runs that has Turner going straight ahead, throw that draw out the window and convert some passing attempts to runs.

We are having trouble blocking anything. I agree that it all starts with the O-line though. A good O-line can make mediocre skill players look better than they are. A bad O-line can make good skill players look like crap. Ours sucks, so when we try to spread it out Matt gets killed. When we go max protect, we give up coverage sacks or settle for a check down.

We just made too many mistakes early in the game. We were moving the ball at will, when you look at 1 int was to Julio going into the end zone, missed FG, we got cute on the 1 yrd line (should have pounded the ball on 1st down) Matt was hit & forced that int he threw in Oakland territory(it was 1st down should have took the sack) So when you add up all the simple mistakes, we got out off rhythm early & it was difficult to overcome. I give Oakland some credit, they were making plays on defense, good thing is our defense, made just a couple more. That's the difference between 1-4 & 6-0

We need a running game. That's our problem.

THIS!!!! we have no balance. . .Ryan throwing the ball like crazy and we see the result. . . . We are still winning but lack of balance will catch up in the playoffs especially if we meet a cold weather team (and on their field)

Draft a RB but after that, the entire rest of the draft should be offense and defensive linemen.

I really do not believe it's an RB problem. I've seen a lot of posters complaining about Turner and I've been watching all of the RBs closely. About 50% of the time the RB runs into defenders ALREADY in the Falcon backfield. How did they get in the Falcon backfield-- before the RB can get to the LOS?

Somebody is not run blocking.

Run blocking is more agressive than pass blocking-- the O-line needs to drive forward and push the defender out of the way. They are not doing that they are still being driven backward

toward the QB. Run blocing won't work as long as that happens.

Not true. Koetter is a little too pass happy right now. Had 1st & goal and his first play is a pass. Did the same in the Panthers game. He needs to run more of the runs that has Turner going straight ahead, throw that draw out the window and convert some passing attempts to runs.

I believe a lot of the problems with the Offense is the OL they are what they are, and you can't expect a silk purse made from a sow's ear; but there's no balance so i agree that alot of these pass plays need to be converted to runs.

I would say at least 10 to 15 plays converted

... He needs to run more of the runs that has Turner going straight ahead...

QFT

Our Oline is not athletic enough and Turner is to slow to reach the edge and turn the corner so all these toss plays to him are essentially a wasted down. Turner is a Down hill runner putting him in a position to be shifty is like asking Hawley to catch a pass ...

The problem is teams do not respect the run game. They are keeping their safeties back to prevent the deep pass. In the last three games, teams have schemed against Julio taking him out of the game. They are forcing the underneath routes. We can't do play action they don't respect the run. We could use Harry to open things up underneath but the problem is Matt locks in on Julio, Roddy, or Tony. If neither of them are open he will dump off or as of late, take a sack.

QFT

Our Oline is not athletic enough and Turner is to slow to reach the edge and turn the corner so all these toss plays to him are essentially a wasted down. Turner is a Down hill runner putting him in a position to be shifty is like asking Hawley to catch a pass ...

Most great running backs, even power backs, make at least half their yards on backside cuts. Warrick Dunn made a career on it. Jamal Anderson, even as much as he was known as a power back, was devastating when the hole clogged and he made a cut to the backside. The problems are as follows:

1) Our OL is not good enough to open the hole where it is SUPPOSED to be

2) Our RB is not quick enough to find a hole elsewhere

That's it, in a nutshell. So the problem BEGINS with the OL, but Turner isn't helping matters.

Most great running backs, even power backs, make at least half their yards on backside cuts. Warrick Dunn made a career on it. Jamal Anderson, even as much as he was known as a power back, was devastating when the hole clogged and he made a cut to the backside. The problems are as follows:

1) Our OL is not good enough to open the hole where it is SUPPOSED to be

2) Our RB is not quick enough to find a hole elsewhere

That's it, in a nutshell. So the problem BEGINS with the OL, but Turner isn't helping matters.

Thats one thing i have noticed as well. A lot of the top backs have great side hops and can immediately explode through a hole that was not created due to play design. Turner cannot do that. He can pretty much only move forward.

The problem is teams do not respect the run game. They are keeping their safeties back to prevent the deep pass. In the last three games, teams have schemed against Julio taking him out of the game. They are forcing the underneath routes. We can't do play action they don't respect the run. We could use Harry to open things up underneath but the problem is Matt locks in on Julio, Roddy, or Tony. If neither of them are open he will dump off or as of late, take a sack.

Sad, but true.

I wish it was that Simple, Ryan's first pick wasn't due to inside pressure. That was on him, second one was him trying to force a big play that happens.

I don't like what I saw on the first pick

Harry ran an extremely lazy route on that play. Might have been a bad decision by Matt but the route didn't help either.