First Bcs Rankings Are Coming Out Tomorrow - Discussion Thread

SacFalcFan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing got me thinking in the ESPN BCS discussion.

All the guys gave Notre Dame no chance should the Irish go undefeated, should Oregon and an SEC team also go undefeated.

I can’t stand Notre Dame, but for them to go on the road and defeat Oklahoma and USC, not to mention the rest of the schedule... that’s just a bit much to take (being left out), I would think. Notre Dame’s schedule is ranked No. 1 in toughness according to Phil Steele.

Now I’m not saying Bama/Fla or Oregon should step aside and let the Irish go to Miami instead should this particular scenario occur. But if it did occur, we just need that 4-team playoff like this year!

What y’all think?

J

Notre Dame is playing well on defense, but they just don't have the offense to win at Oklahoma imo. Especially now that OU looks to be getting in gear.

ND's trip to USC could be a headache as well... I know I called that one a loss for USC, mainly to mess with Sleepy, but USC has been getting hot at the end of the season for a little while now so I think ND could end up with 2 losses.

A 1-loss Notre Dame is going to get a lot of love still though.

Wow happy to see the Gamecocks didn't fall any further that this. There are so many different possible outcomkes with so many of these teams still scheduled to play one another. Personally I am (of course) hoping we can win out, Bama beats LSU to get to the SECCG and then we beat Bama for the SEC crown. If that happens then SC could actually be the fly in the ointment if things break a certain way. I have to wonder if a hypothetical 1 loss Gamecock team would get the nod over any of these teams even if they went undefeated... ND, Oregon, Oregon State, K State.

It's also VERY POSSIBLE for all of this to take care of itself if things fall the right way. Say SC beats ND, OK State or WVU beats K-State, Oregon beats Oregon State and SC but loses the rematch with SC in the PAC-12 CG. And SC makes it through "clean" and wins the SEC title. Heck UGA has a shot at making it to the BCSCG if certain things fall their way, and it's not like it would take a whole lot of really stupid things to happen for UGA to make it either.

Really a deep and prophetic statement coming up. A line of thinking that virtually no one on earth could even hope to come up with other than myself when I reach total oneness with the universe. Hold your breath and get ready for this little nugget.

This year can either fall one particular way and the polls will almost implode with all of the confusion over who should get a shot at the title, OR, it could all take care of itself and make it clear who will have earned a shot at playing for the BCS National Championship.

Now just sit back, relax and allow that extreme profoundity to settle deeply into your grey matter and get back to me and tell me if I am wrong. You guys can all thank me later for enlightening you on the machinations of the college football ranking system. But you don't absolutely have to thank me for giving you an insight into the pure complexities of my mind. You can just sit back and remind yourselves how lucky you all are to have my gifts put on display here in these forums.biggrin.png

Wow happy to see the Gamecocks didn't fall any further that this. There are so many different possible outcomkes with so many of these teams still scheduled to play one another. Personally I am (of course) hoping we can win out, Bama beats LSU to get to the SECCG and then we beat Bama for the SEC crown. If that happens then SC could actually be the fly in the ointment if things break a certain way. I have to wonder if a hypothetical 1 loss Gamecock team would get the nod over any of these teams even if they went undefeated... ND, Oregon, Oregon State, K State.

It's also VERY POSSIBLE for all of this to take care of itself if things fall the right way. Say SC beats ND, OK State or WVU beats K-State, Oregon beats Oregon State and SC but loses the rematch with SC in the PAC-12 CG. And SC makes it through "clean" and wins the SEC title. Heck UGA has a shot at making it to the BCSCG if certain things fall their way, and it's not like it would take a whole lot of really stupid things to happen for UGA to make it either.

Really a deep and prophetic statement coming up. A line of thinking that virtually no one on earth could even hope to come up with other than myself when I reach total oneness with the universe. Hold your breath and get ready for this little nugget.

This year can either fall one particular way and the polls will almost implode with all of the confusion over who should get a shot at the title, OR, it could all take care of itself and make it clear who will have earned a shot at playing for the BCS National Championship.

Now just sit back, relax and allow that extreme profoundity to settle deeply into your grey matter and get back to me and tell me if I am wrong. You guys can all thank me later for enlightening you on the machinations of the college football ranking system. But you don't absolutely have to thank me for giving you an insight into the pure complexities of my mind. You can just sit back and remind yourselves how lucky you all are to have my gifts put on display here in these forums.

Pretty funny there Xnex! smile.png

I got a feeling at one point soon, the top 4 BCS teams will all be SEC.

Just let Oregon lose on Thursday, and the mess will all start.

We will see!

J

Yes youre right. By all means lets see another SEC puntfest.

No, lets see the 2 best teams in America play for the National Title, which last year happened to be LSU/Alabama.

Just look at how well your Big 12 boys are doing so far in the SEC? Yall can have them back. We play big boy football down here, not gimmick high school football.

Sac, had any of those teams beat Big 12 teams in OOC play I would wholeheartedly agree. But the powers that be will not let their golden child have a chance at getting things shook up by that pesky other conference. To have two great conferences and never let them play is just sickening. The only teams that have met are Texas and Ole Miss. What was that score compared to Bama and Ole Miss?

No, lets see the 2 best teams in America play for the National Title, which last year happened to be LSU/Alabama.

Just look at how well your Big 12 boys are doing so far in the SEC? Yall can have them back. We play big boy football down here, not gimmick high school football.

LOL @ you judging the Big 12 on 2 teams in down years who never had success in the Big 12 so they fled. And what is Texas A&M's conference record?