Nfcs Chat - Pat Y

dhayester

I know someone was doing this last year, but haven't seen it posted, so thought I'd give it a go.. lots of Falcon's questions in this weeks chat:

Jmoore (atlanta)

Pat, whats your take on espn not giving our falcons any love and always talking about losing teams? example the Jets,denver..

Pat Yasinskas (12:52 PM)

Well, they've been getting plenty of attention on the NFC South blog in recent weeks. They're the only thing positive I have to work with at the moment.

----------

Jon(Falcon fan) (GA)

How long can Abraham go this year playing the number of reps that the he has been playing? Can't Sidbury play more?

Pat Yasinskas (12:54 PM)

Yeah, I had a note about that yesterday. Abe is playing way too many reps. They've got to either give Sidbury or Edwards so more reps to keep Abe fresh.

----------

Rick (Kennesaw) [via mobile]

As good as my Falcons have been going 5-0, I have yet to see a complete game from them. When they finally hit their stride, I see them being a juggernaut. What is your take Pat?

Pat Yasinskas (12:56 PM)

Agree, they haven't put it all together yet. But there have been flashes out of just about every area. I think this could be an excellent team.

----------

Jmoore (atlanta)

Hey Pat, Once again I cant believe how good Baker playing. He is making all falcons fans look crazy for holling for his head, what do you think?

Pat Yasinskas (12:57 PM)

No doubt he's playing well. But you want to see him stay at that level over the course of a full season and stay healthy.

----------

Dylan (Rock Springs, WY)

Is there a specific name for when the Falcons use a lineman in at fullback or tight end?

Pat Yasinskas (1:00 PM)

Yeah, pretty sure it was Todd McClure in the locker room after last week's game who said they call it the "Elephant Package".

----------

Zach (Atlanta, GA)

How worried should we be about the injury to Nicholas?

Pat Yasinskas (1:01 PM)

Sounded at first like it might be serious. But the fact he practiced on a limited basis yesterday was a good sign. We'll get an update on him (and the rest of the injuries) this afternoon.

----------

robert (charleston)

why did atlanta play at san diego and denver play at atlanta when thats what they did in 08. i thought they alternated every 4 years

Pat Yasinskas (1:08 PM)

I'm going to have to check on that one.

robert (charleston)

please do i've asked the same question before and no one can give me a straight answer

Pat Yasinskas (1:12 PM)

I will ask Dimitroff or McKay when I see them on Sunday.

----------

Joshua (Atlanta)

You have any insight on what the Falcons are planning on doing with Cory Peters? Are they still happy with P. Jerry's play this year?

Pat Yasinskas (1:12 PM)

I think it'll be a few weeks before you see Peters playing. Smith said yesterday he's got to get into football shape. Jerry started off very well, but has faded a bit lately. Vance Walker's played pretty well recently.

----------

Brad (Atlanta)

Pat, loved the article on Ryan resigning in Atlanta. Seemed fitting after the debacle last chat with CC and myself. So do you think Ryan would take less than Brees because he loves his position as the staple of a franchise that has/is turning around?

Pat Yasinskas (1:16 PM)

No, I think the market value is pretty well established. I think Falcons will pay him whatever it takes

----------

David W (Atlanta, GA)

"Weak Arm" - "Can't win on the road" - "Can't win outdoors" - "He's only a game manager" - Pat, would you agree that Matt Ryan has put these arguments to rest with his start this season, with only the "Has yet to win a playoff game" argument left?

Pat Yasinskas (1:23 PM)

Yep, agree totally. Only one knock left on him.

----------

David (NY)

Rank NFCS Qbs in order of character?

Pat Yasinskas (1:24 PM)

Appreciate your persistence with this question. But I don't feel comfortable answering that.

David (NY)

How about replacing 'character' with 'intangibles'

Pat Yasinskas (1:28 PM)

On intangibles (and not character), you have to put Brees and Ryan on one level and most of that is due to experience. Freeman has shown some signs of intangibles, but still has work to do in some areas. Too early to fully judge Cam's intangibles.

----------

Geoff cobb (brooklyn new york )

Do the Falcons resign brent Grimes or let him go because of his big contract?

Pat Yasinskas (1:29 PM)

Think they'll draw a line on what they'll pay him. If he can get more elsewhere, then they let him go.

----------

Ken (Pinevile NC)

That pass Ryan threw in the panthers game wasn't that "strong" it was basically a hail mary duck that should of been picked off ... i still question his arm strength ... ur thoughts

Pat Yasinskas (1:30 PM)

I think he's got plenty of arm. Not the strongest in the league, but stronger than a lot of people give him credit for.

----------

Joshua (Colorado Springs)

Hey Pat... Do you think Matt Ryan has the best chance of talking Tony Gonzalez into one more season and will he?

Pat Yasinskas (1:35 PM)

Not sure anyone will have to convince Tony. I think he's having fun and may realize he wants to keep going.

----------

CC (Atlanta)

Why does this Oakland game scare me? I have these awful visions of DMC blowing thru giant holes. I hope the run D finally shows up. On the bright side though I can't see OAK stopping the Falcons O much.

Pat Yasinskas (1:39 PM)

It's not like Oakland's been running the ball very well this year. But, yeah, I can see some of the classic signs of a "trap" game.

----------

Brad (Atlanta)

Would you have believed me if I told you before the season that the Falcons would be 5-0 going into week 6?

Pat Yasinskas (1:41 PM)

Yes, that would not have been a total surprise.

----------

Zach (Atlanta, GA)

I've been waiting for a trap game the entire Mike Smith-Matt Ryan era, and it has yet to happen. I think we pull this one out. Do you agree with me Pat?

Pat Yasinskas (1:43 PM)

They should win the game any way you look at it. I was just saying I understood CC's worries.

----------

Jeff (NY)

Will Turner's lack of carries so far this season lead to him being more productive at end of season?

Pat Yasinskas (1:43 PM)

Not so sure about that. Haven't seen many signs of explosiveness from him.

----------

Brad (Atlanta)

As blogger, do you ever get superstitious about your teams playing? I shudder when I see people say that my team is going to dominate, etc.

Pat Yasinskas (1:45 PM)

No, it really doesn't matter to me. What happens will happen and I just write about it.

----------

Joshua (Colorado Springs)

Is it possible that the Falcons give Matt Ryan a 10 year deal (like they gave Vick years ago) to keep him a Falcon for life?

Pat Yasinskas (1:48 PM)

No, I think in the current climate, the most you'll see is five or six years.

----------

Brad (Atlanta)

Of all the teams you cover, who would you say has the best locker room environment in terms of a "team" feel?

Pat Yasinskas (1:49 PM)

Right now, clearly the Falcons.

----------

Planet Scott? (Earth)

Peter Konz......What's the story on him? Seems to have become the invisible man.

Pat Yasinskas (1:51 PM)

Think they still have high hopes for him, but just don't feel like there's any need to rush him or disrupt the O-line when they're winning.

----------

Just1Dude (Altoona, PA)

(Falcons fan here) Isn't it a bit much to heap praise on Mike Smith for the Falcons success when it is obvious he has nothing to do with the better defense this year (Nolan), and prob not much to do with the offense's success either (Ryan)?

Pat Yasinskas (1:53 PM)

Think he might have a little input into what goes on on both sides of the ball!!!

----------

Jon(Falcon Fan) (GA)

Do you think Atl resigns Baker?

Pat Yasinskas (1:55 PM)

It depends. If he stays healthy and plays at this level the rest of the season, yes. But you've got to see him do it all season first.

----------

Bryan (ATL)

Baker was manhandled by Carolina's d-line, lets not make him highest paid OL on the team just yet.

Pat Yasinskas (1:57 PM)

That was Clabo.

Bryan (ATL)

Really? All 7.5 sacks were on Clabo huh??

Pat Yasinskas (1:58 PM)

At least four of them.

Insane guy (aaahhh)

Some of those sacks were on Ryan

Pat Yasinskas (1:59 PM)

Yeah and I think one was on Reynolds.

I think that one at the end was funny. The guy automatically bashes Baker for giving up 7.5 sacks to Carolina when Baker doesn't play on that side of the line! Unless I am wrong there, at least know where players play before opening your mouth.

Edited by kjv315

Nice to see Pat displaying a little bit of Falcons knowledge for once. I think it helps that he seems to actually be watching our games this season instead of just reading the box score... in fact, I think he's been to at least 2 so far in person.

I am disappointed to see that an ESPN blogger doesn't understand how the NFL schedule making process works, though.

Nice to see Pat displaying a little bit of Falcons knowledge for once. I think it helps that he seems to actually be watching our games this season instead of just reading the box score... in fact, I think he's been to at least 2 so far in person.

I am disappointed to see that an ESPN blogger doesn't understand how the NFL schedule making process works, though.

Agreed, he is starting to show a bit of Falcon's knowledge in his posts and in the chats. I think this is more due to necessity than anything.. as he mentioned in one of those replies, the Falcons are the only positive light in the NFCS right now, so he has to pay attention to put up good 'news'.

Ken (Pinevile NC)

That pass Ryan threw in the panthers game wasn't that "strong" it was basically a hail mary duck that should of been picked off ... i still question his arm strength ... ur thoughts

Pat Yasinskas (1:30 PM)

I think he's got plenty of arm. Not the strongest in the league, but stronger than a lot of people give him credit for.

It was a well placed ball ESPN Science had lot of details on it. I wonder how strong Cam Newtons Arm is when he under threw a guy wide open in the end zone from 1 yard.

Hey thanks for the post. I always enjoy hearing what Pat Y has to say in general. Of all the journalists out there, I think he has more insight into our team than anyone else I read.

I love the way he would not let those two idiots diss Smitty or Baker. I know I am a hopeless homer, but come on now, when your team is 5-0 it's time for a little homerism.