Trouble Ahead

smashmouthjoe

5-0 is great but we really haven't played anybody with a really good offense. None of the teams we have beaten are top tier teams. Even the Broncos with Manning are not that good.

I can't help but look forward to the playoffs with dread if we have to play teams like the 49ers, Giants,Eagles or even the Saints. The Saint's defense sucks but their offense is second to none. We will likely just have to overwhelm their defense to keep up.

We have had close calls with the teams we have beaten, Will this year be another playoff one and done ? I hope not.

Really?

Seriously look stuff up before you post.

Here' are some of the offenses we've played:

#2 and #4 rushing offenses in the NFL

#5 passing offense.

Overall we've faced the #4, #7, and #9 offense in the NFL. 3 top 10 offenses.

We also have the #2 and #5 overall offenses, (as of now), on the schedule.

Really?

Seriously look stuff up before you post.

Here' are some of the offenses we've played:

#2 and #4 rushing offenses in the NFL

#5 passing offense.

Overall we've faced the #4, #7, and #9 offense in the NFL. 3 top 10 offenses.

We also have the #2 and #5 overall offenses, (as of now), on the schedule.

You can pretty much make stats say what you want them to say. Are you saying that any of the teams we have beaten are playoff teams ?

we have stopped some very good offenses. denver will be an AFC playoff team and probably end up with a 3 seed. they are a super bowl conteder. and I think san diego is another very good offense that could end up beating denver out in their divison. we also had 2 running QB's, which are a whole different animal than anything else. We have looked very good on D.

Not beating good teams is a product of circumstance, not performance. We don't play SF, CHI or GB this year. The schedule has turned out to be pretty sweet with an easy start, well-positioned bye week, no winter climates and perfectly alternating road/home games.

Agree completely. The schedule is made to order for the Falcons to wrap up the NFC South early and go into the play-offs with a full head of steam. If we can't get it done this year, hard to see when or how we're ever going to get a Lombardi.

You can pretty much make stats say what you want them to say. Are you saying that any of the teams we have beaten are playoff teams ?
Yeah, Denver and/or San Diego.

Oh and back to your earlier comment:

I can't help but look forward to the playoffs with dread if we have to play teams like the 49ers, Giants,Eagles or even the Saints.

You do realize that we're going to play 3 of those teams later in the regular season right?

Edited by Sun Tzu 7

5-0 is great but we really haven't played anybody with a really good offense. None of the teams we have beaten are top tier teams. Even the Broncos with Manning are not that good.

I can't help but look forward to the playoffs with dread if we have to play teams like the 49ers, Giants,Eagles or even the Saints. The Saint's defense sucks but their offense is second to none. We will likely just have to overwhelm their defense to keep up.

We have had close calls with the teams we have beaten, Will this year be another playoff one and done ? I hope not.

I am going to McDonalds for lunch today.

every team we have faced were highly praised before we beat them, Denver with Manning was supposed to be a playoff team, they were last year and upgraded their QB, same with San Diego and philip rivers. Carolina was picked to win the nfc south, and RG# was the talk of the nfl rookies. not the falcons fault these teams couldnt over come Nolans defense or Koetters offense.

I have observed myself earlier this week that San Francisco looks to be a bad matchup for Atlanta.

But.....at this point in the season, the only thing that matters is winning football games.....and the Falcons are doing everything they can do in that regard. Teams are completely different entities at the end of the season than they are at the beginning.

So....enjoy the ride....worry about the matchup with the 49ers in 3 months from now when hopefully the Falcons will have to play them.

I have observed myself earlier this week that San Francisco looks to be a bad matchup for Atlanta.

But.....at this point in the season, the only thing that matters is winning football games.....and the Falcons are doing everything they can do in that regard. Teams are completely different entities at the end of the season than they are at the beginning.

So....enjoy the ride....worry about the matchup with the 49ers in 3 months from now when hopefully the Falcons will have to play them.

49ers are a bad matchup for anyone....IMO they are the best team in the NFL right now.

Oh Lawdy, how many time do I have to repeat this.

The Mark of a Champion.

1 Beat the teams that you are supposed to beat.

2 Win at least 50% of the games that are evenly matched.

3 Win 50% of the games that you are supposed to lose.

At 5-0 we are doing what we are supposed to be doing.

The real season begins in November.

Well , The good thing is we play all the teams you listed except the Niners in the regular season. So we play them and learn from are mistakes and correct them for the playoffs so no big deal. I am CONFIDENT in the coaches we have in place....So just enjoy the year and quit worrying.....RISE UP

On paper it definitely looks like a bad match-up but I was wondering if the 49'ers are peaking too early. Another thing that I find interesting is that all of a sudden the NFC West has some serious defenses so it doesn't look like the cake-walk it did for the 49'ers earlier this year.

Obviously our record is nice but I don't think anyone would argue we're not playing our best football. The goal is to be playing the best at the end of the season and not the beginning or middle so it should be interesting to see how the season plays out.

A 3-2 SD team that should be 4-1 if not for a shafting at the hands of the Katrina Refs looks like they could be a playoff team. I don't think there is any way the NFL doesn't find a way for the Broncos to get into the playoffs. Before the season started did you have us soundly beating both of those teams?

Edited by Magic Man