Atlanta Adjustment To Double Coverage

Atlanta adjusts to double coverage

The Falcons didn't panic when the Redskins doubled the outside receivers early last week. They just kept feeding tight end Tony Gonzalez. In each of the two pictures below, you can see Julio Jones and Roddy White doubled, with Gonzalez (blue circle) one-on-one. He had catches on both of these plays and had 13 for the game. The Redskins eventually stopped the doubling outside, which led to big plays by Jones in the second half.

wk5-49.jpg

http://sports.cbsimg...logs/wk5-50.jpg

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pete-prisco/20546135/petes-pics-a-closer-look-at-slausons-hit-on-cushing

Edited by falcon_owns_nfc_south

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont really like the idea of forcing the ball to Tony G. just because the outside WR's are doubled. We need to get Harry Douglas more involved in the offense. If we can find ways to get the ball in Hawleys hands, we can figure out how to get the ball in Douglas's hands.

You can only have so many players on the field. Tony/julio/roddy is 3. Ryan 4. RB 5. 5 OL 10. extra OL or blocker. 11 usually. I do agree though. It's not just "that simple" though.

I dont really like the idea of forcing the ball to Tony G. just because the outside WR's are doubled. We need to get Harry Douglas more involved in the offense. If we can find ways to get the ball in Hawleys hands, we can figure out how to get the ball in Douglas's hands.

That's what ticked me off the most about those plays.

You can only have so many players on the field. Tony/julio/roddy is 3. Ryan 4. RB 5. 5 OL 10. extra OL or blocker. 11 usually. I do agree though. It's not just "that simple" though.

yeah, but not just on this play. dont get me wrong, I think we have done a great job of spreading the ball around. Actually, tony, roddy, and julio have something like 47, 45, 46 targets each this year. almost seems like they are keeping tally on how many targets each guy gets a game and trying to keep them all even. but yeah, I think Harry is too valuable of a weapon to not take full advantage of. If they are doubling 2 of our WR's (and the more I look at it, I think this is just a cover 2 look with man coverage underneath, but thats not the point) we cant just force it to tony, i dont care how great he has been. Going with 3 WR's, a TE, and a HB isnt a bad personel package. or even if we use a back coming out of the backfield. forcing passes to anyone is bad

That's what ticked me off the most about those plays.

yeah, I mean I thought Hawley getting the ball was funny and all, but Im more worried about scoring. When we have the weapons that we have and a center is getting the ball it is somewhat concerning.

and im not saying koetter had hawley running routes because it was funny. just saying everyone seemed to get a kick out of it

Edited by HANDCOCK

yeah, but not just on this play. dont get me wrong, I think we have done a great job of spreading the ball around. Actually, tony, roddy, and julio have something like 47, 45, 46 targets each this year. almost seems like they are keeping tally on how many targets each guy gets a game and trying to keep them all even. but yeah, I think Harry is too valuable of a weapon to not take full advantage of. If they are doubling 2 of our WR's (and the more I look at it, I think this is just a cover 2 look with man coverage underneath, but thats not the point) we cant just force it to tony, i dont care how great he has been. Going with 3 WR's, a TE, and a HB isnt a bad personel package. or even if we use a back coming out of the backfield. forcing passes to anyone is bad

MR has to get the ball out quickly for our scheme to work(his strengths) and if the defender covering HD blitzes, only then will HD get the quick

pass. His other routes(deeper) take time to develop and with a sometimes inconsistent line and quick release QB, HD gets left out.

We've been forcing the ball since 2009...I agree with you but it is what it is. HD is the last hurdle for MR/DK IMHO...especially MR.