Who Coaches At Georgia State When Bill Curry Retires?

Faithful Falcon

Something tells me that they may go after a big name coach. This program started 2 years ago, and will join the Sun Belt Conference next season. They are not allowed to participate in FCS Playoffs this season because of that. It's no secret that Curry came in to get the program off the ground. Playing teams like Alabama and Tennessee. I think they will go after a big name coach, and in a few years will move to a bigger conference. Anyone has some input?

why do they even have a team? Even people that went to or go to Ga State wont go to the games... EVER. Its a joke

They are only in their 3rd year. Most of the GSU Alumni are grown ups. Keep in mind, they will begin to draw more of the young crowd.They have yet to play a game with UGA, which could start a new rivalry. I wouldn't be surprised if Petrino came in. He's good at recruiting.

I got my Master's degree at Georgia State so I'm pulling for them. But realistically money is going to dictate everything.

I see GSU following what FAU did. FAU hired Howard Schnellenberger to build up their program in his twilight years. He went out and sold FAU football and raised enough money to build an on-campus stadium. Let that sink in for a second - FAU is a big commuter school that until recently didn't even have dorms - and they got a stadium.

FAU is now in phase 2. Schnellenberger was great as the face of the program but he doesn't have the energy or inclination to recruit and do all the other stuff. The new coach is Bo Pelini's brother that was the DC at Nebraska; he has to build up the product on the field. They just hired a new AD and he was the #2 guy at Ohio State; his goal is to make it so they only need to schedule a couple of money games a year. Ironically because they need the money they have to play at Georgia, at Alabama, etc. and they barely get to play in their brand new stadium.

Anyway FAU went out and hired the best coach they could get for the money they could afford. If he works out, the fans will come out and there will be more money to go around for him and his staff. And believe me they will be very happy if he does so well that they need to raise his salary.

They are only in their 3rd year. Most of the GSU Alumni are grown ups. Keep in mind, they will begin to draw more of the young crowd.They have yet to play a game with UGA, which could start a new rivalry. I wouldn't be surprised if Petrino came in. He's good at recruiting.

Petrino DOES need to find a job and I don't know if very many upper level teams would choose to overlook the "poor choices in his personal life" and hire him as their guy. But regardless of his dooshiness the man can put out winning college football teams. Maybe he would take the job if it were offered. But I know that Bill Curry would strongly advise them against bringing Petrino on board. So I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say that GSU hires... Tommy Bowden as their next head coach.