• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Topic: Foreign and domestic policy

Air Time: 9:00-10:30 p.m. Eastern Time

Sponsor: Commission on Presidential Debates

Participants: Vice President Joe Biden and Congressman Paul Ryan

Moderator: Martha Raddatz (ABC News Chief Foreign Correspondent)

The debate will cover both foreign and domestic topics and be divided into nine time segments of approximately 10 minutes each. The moderator will ask an opening question, after which each candidate will have two minutes to respond. The moderator will use the balance of the time in the segment for a discussion of the question.

http://www.2012presidentialelectionnews.com/2012-debate-schedule/2012-presidential-debate-schedule/

Edited by Flip Flop

What can we expect in this debate? Will Biden make a gaff or will his long experience and personality carry him. Will Paul Ryan seem too young to be Vice President or will he come across as competent? What do you all think?

Biden is ready for the debate

part2_2.jpg

Some of my expectations.

-Biden's expections are very low. Too low even. He is gaff prone, but not in this environment.

-Biden will be much more aggressive than President Obama was in the first Debate. Biden tends to be more aggressive typically and he has the added motivation of repairing the damage of the first Presidential debate.

-Ryan can be a little wonky. I am not sure how well this will play.

-Ryan may appear out of his league based on the optics. Biden is nearly old enough to be Ryan's grandfather.

-This debate runs a good chance of have one of the candidates come off as shrill.

Edited by Flip Flop

The saving grace for Biden in this debate is that it is half foreign policy. Not Ryan's strong point.

If I were Biden, I would constantly press Ryan on his proposals for Medicare and how he won't detail his proposals. He seems to get flustered in interviews when he's pressed on those subjects and it doesn't help that Romney throws him under the bus when he and his budget are brought up. If I were Ryan, I would just wait for Biden to gaffe it up.

Some of my expectations.

-Biden's expections are very low. Too low even. He is gaff prone, but not in this environment.

-Biden will be much more aggressive than President Obama was in the first Debate. Biden tends to be more aggressive typically and he has the added motivation of repairing the damage of the first Presidential debate.

-Ryan can be a little wonky. I am not sure how well this will play.

-Ryan may appear out of his league based on the optics. Biden is nearly old enough to be Ryan's grandfather.

-This debate runs a good chance of have one of the candidates come off as shrill.

This is my general sense, too. I doubt it will be lop-sided either way, but given the low expectations it could be a slight Biden win. Though, I doubt it will matter in terms of the polls. Possible 1-2% shift, at most.

I don't see how anybody could underestimate Paul Ryan.

I get the impression that Joe Biden has an overconfidence problem. It's easy to gaff it up when you think that you can't go wrong. I can see Biden scoffing at the idea that Ryan will match him.

Edited by Flip Flop

Ryan's proposals aren't Romney's proposals, so they really aren't relevant.

I think that Biden can use Ryan's proposals to some effect. He should be careful, though. If he brings up Ryan's record too much, he runs the risk of setting Ryan up to call him out similarly to how Romney called out Obama.