Does Conservatism Equate To Coincidence (Both Games Being Closer Than First Three)

truefalcon

Is there a reason the last two games have been closer than the first three? I'll be blunt, and go out on a limb to say we appear to be patterning ourselves after last year's offense and defense during these last two games (Appearing to be more conservative). Haven't seen much of the wild/mad dog defense we witnessed in first three games (Keeping to opponent's offense guessing prior to the snap). Additionally, the offense, with its tremondous potential housed in a multitude of individualnd warriors, suddenly appear to be more harrnessed and muzzled.

I agree with the majority of inputs that we have won the last two because of the determination and drive of our players not to lose. I am just uncomfortable with the seeming introduction of what I am, at a gut level, seeing as an 'evolution' to conservative play-calling.

Matt Ryan has had over 100 attempts in the last 2 games and over 700 yards. I wouldn't say we have been more conservative. The difference has been that we haven't got off to that fast start we had in the first 3 games and we've lost the territory and turnover battles.

The reason the defense was different in the past two games was because the type of quarterback we played (or prepared to play in Sunday's instance) in the last two games was different from the first 3, and we still held WAS to 10 offensive points. Also, if Matt settles down at the beginning of the game and doesn't sail those passes, the score's not close.

completely wrong and off base,defenses have been taking away the deep stuff, and the other teams offenses have been playing not to turn the ball over in the air.

When they take away the deep stuff, the Falcons should pound the ball in the ground game til it opens up again.

Guest Negatorris

In the first 3 games, the Falcons started with TD drives. The defense arguable plays better when our offense scores first. In the last two games they haven't executed early for whatever reason, and it's crazy since both those teams defenses suck. We get the lead to start the game this Sunday, and it will probably be like the first 3.

Is there a reason the last two games have been closer than the first three? I'll be blunt, and go out on a limb to say we appear to be patterning ourselves after last year's offense and defense during these last two games (Appearing to be more conservative). Haven't seen much of the wild/mad dog defense we witnessed in first three games (Keeping to opponent's offense guessing prior to the snap). Additionally, the offense, with its tremondous potential housed in a multitude of individualnd warriors, suddenly appear to be more harrnessed and muzzled.

I agree with the majority of inputs that we have won the last two because of the determination and drive of our players not to lose. I am just uncomfortable with the seeming introduction of what I am, at a gut level, seeing as an 'evolution' to conservative play-calling.

You've obviously been reading too many of my posts. I'm the only one in here besides you that has seen a stark departure from the creative, aggressive, swaggering approach that had us dominating good opponents in the first three games but then for some unknown reason returning to a conservative, inconsistent and inept bunch which struggles against bottom-feeder teams even at the Dome. Not to worry. It's probably just your imagination and my in-grained pessimism.

Teams go through streaks, no matter how good they are. The last two games would have been losses in years past. That's how good this team is, enough to have made franchise history, but that does not mean that they are going to blow out every opponent, nor win every game. They probably would love to do so, but that's football, that's life.

You've obviously been reading too many of my posts. I'm the only one in here besides you that has seen a stark departure from the creative, aggressive, swaggering approach that had us dominating good opponents in the first three games but then for some unknown reason returning to a conservative, inconsistent and inept bunch which struggles against bottom-feeder teams even at the Dome. Not to worry. It's probably just your imagination and my in-grained pessimism.

In this case, it actually is. One game against a divisional opponent was a statistical aberration. The other was one where the coaching staff made necessary adjustments and held a dangerously mobile QB to 7 rushing yards through three quarters, and his backup to 2 INTs after a fluke blown coverage that resulted in a TD. This, combined with the fact that Nolan has explicitly stated the opponents determine the gameplan, is why there's really no need to worry about the schemes.

Well, I'm hoping this streak doesn't continue if we are to remain undefeated, at least by the bye week. Like someone said, I believe the team is still working out the kinks on offense and defense. The first three games we were fortunate that the other teams weren't prepared for this new offensive and defensive approach, since they're used to seeing what we had with Mularkey and VanGorder. But now defenses are beginning to adjust, offenses are beginning to adjust, and we have to adjust as well.

Be hopeful. This team hasn't played its best football yet.