Hmmm..this Quote Gives Me Hope

Guvmintcheeze

From USA today's inside slant.

Gonzalez, who's in his 16th year, has said he's pretty sure he'll retire after this season. But from Sunday's game, it's clear that his skills have not diminished.

"I've been thinking about retiring for the last three years," Gonzalez said. "That's not the question. I know I can play another two years at a pretty good level, but the window is closing. I'm having a blast. I'm not thinking about it."

Why not post the entire article?

OK

Atlanta Falcons Team Report

When offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter gathered with the players over the offseason, he shared his vision, goals and objections for the new offense.

Through five games, the offense is working how Koetter and the players envisioned.

Washington became the latest team forced to make a choice on how to defend against the Falcons' potent offense. In Week 4, Carolina elected to double-cover wide receiver Julio Jones and tight end Tony Gonzalez, allowing Roddy White to break loose for eight catches, 169 yards and two touchdowns.

Washington played zone and kept a defender over the top of Jones and White. That left Gonzalez free to roam against man-to-man coverage.

He amassed 13 catches for 123 yards and a key touchdown in the second quarter.

"This is what we envisioned as an offense," Gonzalez said. "You never know who is going to get it week in and week out."

He finished one reception shy of his career high. He caught 14 passes against San Diego when he was with Kansas City on Jan. 2, 2005.

"When you have guys like Roddy and Julio outside, you saw anytime that we threw the ball deep, there were two or three guys around them," Gonzalez said. "That means I'm getting man-to-man coverage underneath. I've said that for most of my career, if I can get man-to-man coverage, I should be able to get open most of the time."

The former Cal-Berkeley basketball player looked as if he were posting up in the paint on a couple of his grabs.

"I'm just glad I could help out," Gonzalez said.

Gonzalez continued to carve his name into the league's record books.

The touchdown reception was the 99th of his career, tying him with Don Hutson for eighth on the NFL's all-time list. Wide receivers Tim Brown and Steve Largent are next up on the list with 100 touchdown catches each.

Gonzalez, who's in his 16th year, has said he's pretty sure he'll retire after this season. But from Sunday's game, it's clear that his skills have not diminished.

"I've been thinking about retiring for the last three years," Gonzalez said. "That's not the question. I know I can play another two years at a pretty good level, but the window is closing. I'm having a blast. I'm not thinking about it."

NOTES, QUOTES

—The Falcons improved to 5-0 for the first time in club history with Sunday's 24-17 win at Washington. Atlanta started the 2004 and 1986 seasons 4-0 but had never started a season with five consecutive wins.

The franchise first started playing during the 1966 NFL season.

—The Falcons lost the field-position battle for most of the game. A total of 11 of their 13 drives started on their side of the 50.

All of their first eight drives started at their 21-yard line or farther back.

"We were first in the league coming into this game in terms of drive starts," coach Mike Smith said. "They did a pretty nice job of flipping the field on us a couple of times, and we had to start inside our 5-yard line. That makes it just that much more difficult."

The first drive started at the 8-yard line after kick returner Jacquizz Rodgers had a 47-yard return to Falcons' 46 called back. Linebacker Robert James was called for holding at the 23 yard line. Instead of starting at the 46, the Falcons opened their drive at the 8-yard line. James' miscue was essentially a 38-yard penalty.

—Coach Mike Smith has compiled a 48-21 record (.696) in four-plus seasons at the helm.

With a win next week, Smith will tie Dan Reeves (49-59-1) for the most coaching victories in club history.

—For the second consecutive week, quarterback Matt Ryan led the offense on a game-winning drive in the fourth quarter.

With the game tied 17-17, Ryan led the Falcons on a six-play, 69-yard drive, including Michael Turner's go-ahead touchdown run to take the lead with 2:46 remaining.

Ryan has posted 18 game-winning drives in the fourth quarter or overtime during his five-year NFL career, two of them coming in the past two games.

The 18 game-winning drives are the most in the NFL since 2008.

Ryan completed three of three pass attempts for 51 yards on the final drive to set up Turner's touchdown run.

—The defense sealed the win with a pair of interceptions on Washington's final two drives.

Cornerback Dunta Robinson picked off quarterback Kirk Cousins at the Falcons 36-yard line with two minutes remaining, and free safety Thomas DeCoud picked off Cousins near midfield on the Redskins' final drive.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

PLAYER NOTES:

—TE Tony Gonzalez had his best game since joining the Falcons in 2009. His 13 receptions and 123 yards were both highs with Atlanta.

—QB Matt Ryan finished the Washington game completing 34 of 52 pass attempts for 345 yards with two touchdowns and one interception. The 34 completions and 52 attempts tied his career highs.

—CB Dunta Robinson combined with defensive tackle Jonathan Babineaux for one sack of Washington QB Robert Griffin III.

—LB Sean Weatherspoon had a sack and finished with 11 tackles against the Redskins.

—DB Dunta Robinson finished the game with six tackles (three solo), a half-sack, one interception and two passes defensed. The interception was the 17th of Robinson's career and his fourth as a Falcon.

INJURY IMPACT:

—RB Antone Smith (hamstring) played against the Redskins but left the game and did not return.

—TE Michael Palmer suffered a shoulder injury against the Chargers and has not played in the last two games. He not expected before the Philadelphia game on Oct. 28.

—FB Lousaka Polite suffered a hamstring injury and was inactive despite returning to practice late last week.

—LB Stephen Nicholas suffered an ankle injury but returned to the action against Washington. Nicholas played on 37 of 49 defensive snaps (73 percent) against the Redskins. Akeem Dent and Robert James picked up Nicholas' snaps.

REPORT CARD VS. REDSKINS

PASSING OFFENSE: B-plus — Matt Ryan completed 34 of 52 passes for 345 yards, two touchdowns and one interception that was returned for a touchdown. His passer rating of 89, was his lowest of the season. Tony Gonzalez and Julio Jones turned in big games. Gonzalez had 13 catches for 123 yards for his 29th 100-yard game. He also had his 99th touchdown reception, which tied him with Don Hutson for eighth on the NFL's all-time list. TE Tommy Gallarda had his first career catch.

RUSHING OFFENSE: C-minus — The Falcons had 28 rushes for 83 yards (3.0 per carry). Michael Turner ran well late and scored the game-winning touchdown. He finished with 67 yards on 18 carries.

PASS DEFENSE: C-plus — The Falcons defense held explosive Redskins rookie QB Robert Griffin III to the lowest passer rating of his career (82.9) and intercepted fellow rookie Kirk Cousins twice. Atlanta held Washington to just 187 net passing yards, with 77 coming on a blown coverage. CB Dunta Robinson had a strong game, as he had six tackles (three solo), a half-sack, one interception and two pass breakups.

RUSH DEFENSE: C — The defensive line did a good job of maintaining its rush lanes against Griffin and kept him from breaking loose on some runs. DE Kroy Biermann was used to drop in to coverage on some defensive calls. Sean Weatherspoon led the team with 11 tackles. Stephen Nicholas had four tackles, and Akeem Dent had two. Washington's Alfred Morris rushed 18 times for 115 yards.

SPECIAL TEAMS: B — K Matt Bryant was still testing out his cleats right up until the game kicked off. The extra work led him to change to his long-spiked cleats on the wet track. That was key to getting proper footing on his 53-yard field goal. Matt Bosher had a net average of 38.5 yards on six punts.

COACHING: B — You have to give the coaches credit for sticking to the game plan. The Redskins won the battle of field position and made the Falcons have to drive to score. The offense kept chipping away until it outscored the Redskins 17-7 in the final quarter. After letting Cam Newton rush for a career-high 86 yards, the Redskins had a sound defensive plan for Griffin. He had one rush for 7 yards and was knocked out of the game with a mild concussion.

Only thing I disagree with is some of the grades. One fluke blown-coverage play gets the pass defense a C for the entire game? Also, the coaching adjustments are underrated too if Morris only got 35 yards in the second half.

Only thing I disagree with is some of the grades. One fluke blown-coverage play gets the pass defense a C for the entire game? Also, the coaching adjustments are underrated too if Morris only got 35 yards in the second half.

Agreed. Our defense only allowed 10 points to the top ranked offense (going into the game) in the NFL. The Skins were 15/24 for 201 yards, 1 TD, and 2 INT's. Considering 77 yards and the 1 TD came on one play, our pass defense was killing them the rest of the game.

Yep pretty much. People also don't realize that TG wants to go out with a bang, and not like many superstar athletes who play until they can't play anymore.

We'll see if he stays with the analysis... If offered another $7.5MM he may not worry about the potential loss of the "Bang" after another season....