Saturday October 6, 2012 - The View From My Angle

Xnex

[sorrysolong]

Well there's not a whole lot to say about the outcome of the game itself. It was a very one sided affair and without trying to inflame my friends here who are UGA fans I don't think UGA could have won that game if they played another half of football and gave UGA the football the entire time, even after they scored a TD. It was beyond one-sided and looked more like a FCS team trying to play a FBS team that night.

Now, on to the stuff I think is really important for you guys to keep in mind as well as several opinions from me in as unbiased a manner as I can possibly offer in this situation.

I was absolutely frightened and outright horrified of UGA going into this game. I told my youngest son that UGA could easily be the most talented team we will face all year long and that losing to them would not necessarily be that devastating. I told him that UGA looked to have the inside track to playing for the NC in January. In an early thread on here I said point blank that Carolina was not capable of blowing UGA out but that UGA could definitely blow the Gamecocks out if things fell the Dawgs way. Obviously I was wrong about that. I believe Carolina is a better team that I was giving credit for and UGA may not be quite as good as I thought. I say "may not be" because I think it takes several things to make UGA look average and the Gamecocks happen to have much of what is needed. But UGA is still amazingly talented in my estimation. But superior individual talent DOES NOT ALWAYS WIN OUT. Having complimentary talent is also very important and MENTAL TOUGHNESS and LEADERSHIP on field can often be a great equalizer. And coaching still plays a huge role in football, particularly college football.

My first opinion about our game last week is that Aaron Murray gets himself far too hyped up to play big games on the national stage in the spotlight. He needs someone (maybe a sports therapist) to assist him in maintaining control of his emotions and keeping his feet on the ground. His rocket arm is only valuable if he has control over where he throws the ball. Sometimes I believe Bobo needs to call 2 or 3 very deep balls in the first series to let him air it out and calm his nerves. On another note about Aaron I think he must have very small hands because he seems to manage to fumble even when he sees someone getting ready to take him down but you cannot do anything to make his hands bigger. SO the coach's need to consistently harp on the importance of ball security.

Secondly I believe that Bobo and Richt as well have coached some of Aarons skills out of him. You don't want a qb who constantly pulls it down and runs with the ball without giving the receivers time to complete their routes and come open. But having a guy who can take off with it and extend drives when everyone is covered is one of the most valuable tools a team can have. It seems to me that Aaron is reluctant to run the ball and I know that Richt and Bobo were all over him during his freshman season to stay in the pocket and run the offense as designed. I think he has gone too far in that direction now. He needs to get back to being Aaron Murray again and the coach's need to help him find the right balance. On my team most of us fans think Connor will take off with it too soon and not give the play time to develop. He's gotten better at being a passer but having him out there putting moves on LB's in order to get 1st downs for us is a great benefit to the Gamecocks.

Thirdly I have to talk about ya'lls coach a little bit. Richt is supposed to recruit the guys, coach them in a general sense, provide leadership and motivation to the players and assistant coach's, and set the strategy for gameday. But he cannot play the game for them and he has to trust his assistants to get them ready to play. I still think Richt is one of the best coach's in the country. I think Saban is better all around, and I think Spurrier is a better tactician on offense but Richt is capable of leading a team to the promised land if other people do their jobs well. Some of you guys need only to look at the other thread on the 1st page of these boards (Mark Richt) to see just how foolish so many of you seem to be. Either accept him and ride with him as your leader or stick with a preference that he be gotten rid of but y'all move from one extreme to the other at the flip of a switch. It makes you look really bad as do the fans who seem to magically appear in threads only when something goes wrong and they want to come in and rant about stuff and stir garbage up. And the fans who come in there and start talking about specific strategies, ie alignments, gap control assignments etc, also look like Madden guru's. To think that anyone here knows more than the coach's for your team is silly. And at least a couple of those guys post heavily in your threads. These last few sentences are more of a shot at certain guys who even irritate me and I have no love for UGA in any way.

Fourthly it looks like the coordinators have issues to me. UGA kept trying to run the "quick screen" to the WR and I don't think it ever worked. It was almost intercepted one time for an easy pick 6 and it was actually caught on the ground for a 3 or 4 yard loss one time. Why that play was used so often boggles my mind. I know that many of you guys have wanted Bobo gone for years. Maybe you're right or maybe you're wrong but it does look like there is a lack of creativity whenever things are going poorly for UGA. And problems don't seem to get addressed in a timely fashion from an outsiders perspective.

But I don't get how so many of you guys can give Grantham a pass here. It seems almost impossible to have so many talented players and still put a defense on the field that looks like they are only somewhat familiar with the game of football. I personally think Rambo is a bit of a loose cannon and can sometimes be a hindrance to your team but at times he does make some plays. A lot of you guys gave Grantham more credit than Bobo because you say he made some adjustments that were successful during the game. But I'm here to tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that the only reason the defense appeared to get tougher is because Spurrier believed that UGA might not even be able to score on us and he saw no reason to risk throwing any more during the game. HE got really conservative for large periods of time and that allowed UGA to get us off the field quicker. I know that you guys know your team much better than I do so I apologize to you for coming off as a know it all. I don't want to be thought of as a smartazzed know it all fan. But I seriously have no idea how you can have so many guys who appear to be 1st round draft picks and yet put a defense out there that looks confused and dumbfounded.

LASTLY (smile.png ) if I were a UGA fan I don't think I would be worried about having a team that isn't good enough to win in the SEC or even win the SEC outright. You guys have tons of talent. But your team outright quit in that game this past weekend, I have no doubt about that in my mind. And that is something to worry about. If you have talented heartless players then you have garbage. They all need to look themselves in the mirror during the buy week, coach's included. And if any of them conclude that they did do their best and gave their best effort then most of them need to be replaced. Y'all are better that that but those guys (many of them anyway) just wanted the clock to run out and to get off the field. The Gamecocks still have two very tough road games in the SEC and we will not be favored in either of them. Plus we still have to play UT and Arky. so anything can still happen and likely will happen. UGA needs to focus really hard on beating UK and then playing their best game against the Gators. If you guys win that game I would say there is still a very good chance that you end up in Atlanta playing in the SECCG. But those guys have to toughen up or else things could get ugly if they don't forget the Carolina game and work on moving forward.

[/stillsorrysolong]

We lack leadership, toughness , will, determination,

Generally that is what I think. I don't think it is a a question of talent necessarily. But for all the stars who look so good doing their thing we all seem to easily forget some football 101 type stuff. One of those facts is that football is still won in the trench's for the most part. Linemen seem to be the last guys who get discussed by fans and media but they almost always hold the key to the games.

There is clearly a culture problem in Athens that needs to be addressed. We have had soft teams that fall apart at the first sign of adversity. When we fought back and got a tough win over UTk I thought we might have turned a corner but that's not the case. There is plenty of blame to go around for this game. Bobo's can't adjust when the game plan falls apart. Coaches have adjusted to Grantham's style and tendencies and he has failed to counter.

The burden of the blame, however, falls on the players. I never needed a coach to get me hyped up to play any sport. These guys get the snot beat or of them for 80 plays a game and if that's not enough to prepare you to play then I don't know what is.

But at the same time, we recruit the same players the other elite schools do and their guys come prepared. Something about the culture has to change Monday through Friday before we see a change on Saturday. That's where the difference lies. I'm not on campus so I can't speculate on what that change needs to be and I don't know if Richt is to blame or capable of changing it. As others have said, this problem is not new to Richt in Athens. If you ask me the change has to come from the players. You can lead a horse to water...

Edited by UAB_DAWG

Excellent post Xnex, I love being a part of a board with fans like you. Great read. Hard to disagree with anything here. The Dawgs got punched in the mouth HARD in a very very underrated atmosphere of Williams-Brice Stadium and we simply had no response. Felt like we rolled over before the 1st half was even done.

I agree with everything you said pretty much, particularly on our coaches and fans who make knee jerk statements. I don't know if UGA's problems are sourced to Richt. It certainly hasn't been a constant... just a trend over the past 5 years maybe. It's very strange and ultimately something Richt will have to be accountable for, but it's hard to put a finger on.

I think we can still have a big season, but that loss to SC on Saturday night was -completely- deflating for pretty much everyone. SC may ultimately make it to Atlanta. You guys certainly have a tough road ahead, but Spurrier has once again put together a heck of a team. If Georgia does manage to win out and be lucky enough (in our view anyway) for SC to lose twice, it will be interesting to see how UGA gets billed. Beating UF at this point would buck the trend of losing the big games against equal competition.

Agree with the above Trouble but Richt used to be elite when it comes to preparing his teams to play. Did he suddenly forget how to do that? Maybe the game has passed him by. I'm officially on the fence with Richt. I don't know if the blame falls on him or if it is something deeper. I would like to see how things change post-Adams before I'm ready to send Richt packing

Edited by UAB_DAWG