My Thoughts On Julio Jones

jdawg4876

I think im going to start doing these every once in a while where I just say what I see by the eye test. first up julio jones.

to start off I think julio is a really good player and could be one of the greats many yrs to come. I dont think he is there yet by any means but as smitty would say his arrow is pointing up. so lets get the bad out the way first.

BAD

1. He drops too many passes, I think we will all agree on that. he needs to work on it, I think he will only get better bc he has two guys that catch pretty much everything in tony g and roddy.

2. Julio power and elusiveness has been a bit off on this season. we all know he is fast and a big strong wr, but I have seen him trip on his own feet a lot and that screen he caught should have gone for a first. I know hd didnt give the greatest help with tackling, but that is a play julio needs to make. also that pass against the panthers was not the best ever by matt by any means but def catachable and julio needs to untangle his legs and drag a toe. I think not only would roddy have made that catch but he would have stayed in bounds and picked up more.

3. Routes.... I think he is def a better route runner this yr but is still not great at working back to matt ryan and attacking the ball. One thing roddy and TG do great is work back to ryan to give him a lane to throw to. I see julio do this from time to time but just not consistently. As a sidebar I think HD has that same problem a lot of the time too.

now for the good

GOOD

1. Blocking. I know most casual fans dont care about blocking but dude is really good.

2. Game changing ability. he has the ability to beat ya deep anytime, so when he does digs and comeback routes the dbs bite HARD. That one play against the skins where he is running what looks like a post and he stops on a dime and comes back to the ball, was a thing of beauty, he was wide open.

3. redzone scoring machine. I honestly think he will end up with more tds in the redzone than tony. that fade route him and matty run is a thing of beauty and has worked 3/4 times. the one against Kc was great. the one against the skins beautiful. the one against the chargers was stunning. the one against the broncos was the only fail. a beautiful pass by ryan but julio could not hang on for the TD.

4. Toughness I know he has been injured some but dude has a ton of heart, wil go over the middle and play injured. that first catch against the charges was awesome, took a big shot to the hand and held on to it, got hurt and came back to have a great game.

These are just my thoughts on julio from my eye test thru the first five games. I think I might do dunta next

Edited by jdawg4876

I def agree that he needs to get better at working back for the ball and perhaps even fight a little better for it. With his speed, size and athleticism he should be able to out position most DBs. Dude is still in his 2nd year though, like what I have seen so far, he will only continue to get better imo.

Spot on.

Minus that drop on a long bomb near the endzone, he was great on Sunday. Redskins gave him the short stuff.

Wilson got away with couple of DPIs though.

I agree he got away with at least one bad PI

Well it's going to take some time before his hand gets 100% again.

but he has had problems with drops since college, im not blaming that on an injury

Julio's main problem is Julio, and not the opposing defenses, which is usually an easier fix. He was superb last game, and was featured in the KC game as well. I think once he gets his drops taken care of and gets the 'locked in' chemistry with Ryan that Roddy has, he will be DANGEROUS. He's already one of the scariest prospects for a DB to cover on the field, and is only going to get better. I'll bet it kills Swift.

I think the thing with Julio is that most of us take for granted that he's a 2nd year WR and he still has a lot to learn.

Think about this. We compare him to the other guys on the field: Tony Gonzalez and Roddy White. Arguably the best TE ever and the best WR in Falcons history.

What excites me is that these are the guys he will model his work ethic and preparation after.

Edited by Sun Tzu 7

I think the thing with Julio is that most of us take for granted that he's a 2nd year WR and he still has a lot to learn.

Think about this. We compare him to the other guys on the field: Tony Gonzalez and Roddy White. Arguably the best TE ever and the best WR in Falcons history.

What excites me is that these are the guys he will model his work ethic and preparation after.

I agree but unlike qbs who usually take a step back in the second yr. most wrs take a huge leap forward during the sophomore campaign. he has def made strides, but in my opinion has not made that leap yet. still a dang good player.

Drops.. But do y'all remember how much flack we all gave Roddy his first few years here.. Dude couldn't catch a cold and he turned out just fine

I never said he wouldnt be fine, in fact I think he will be fine, still its a bad aspect of his game no matter how you cut it

I agree but unlike qbs who usually take a step back in the second yr. most wrs take a huge leap forward during the sophomore campaign. he has def made strides, but in my opinion has not made that leap yet. still a dang good player.

I see what you're saying and agree with most of it.

Unlike other teams we don't have to force the ball to Julio. Our OC doesn't have to scheme ways to get Julio the ball if defenses try to take him away.

What I'm saying is that Julio isn't going to get as many chances to make plays like AJ Green would for example. If defenses try to take away AJ the Bengals are still going to try and get him the ball.

I see what you're saying and agree with most of it.

Unlike other teams we don't have to force the ball to Julio. Our OC doesn't have to scheme ways to get Julio the ball if defenses try to take him away.

What I'm saying is that Julio isn't going to get as many chances to make plays like AJ Green would for example. If defenses try to take away AJ the Bengals are still going to try and get him the ball.

I agree but I think matt throws to the open guy 9 outta 10 times, and if julio worked back to the ball more, he would have more catches and targets, just my 2 cents.

Injury or not I can tell yall only what I ses and he def has a problem with drops, especially the easy ones, on another quick screen to julio, he bobbled the ball bad before bringing it in and taking off.

Roddy had 15 drops minimum last year - pretty bad. Receivers, especially young receivers, go through this. Top that off with a lacerated hand and playing with his fingers taped together - it's pretty understandable.

Julio will be fine. They'll continue to work with him on drops. In fact, they should do more drills for all of our receivers and running backs. They all drop the ball too often - except Tony, Snelling and Quizz.

Roddy had 15 drops minimum last year - pretty bad. Receivers, especially young receivers, go through this. Top that off with a lacerated hand and playing with his fingers taped together - it's pretty understandable.

Julio will be fine. They'll continue to work with him on drops. In fact, they should do more drills for all of our receivers and running backs. They all drop the ball too often - except Tony, Snelling and Quizz.

last yr roddy dropped a lot I agree this yr he has been lights out. the only semi drop roddy had against the skins, was when he was covered by three defenders and should have been an INT by matt ryan

I agree but I think matt throws to the open guy 9 outta 10 times, and if julio worked back to the ball more, he would have more catches and targets, just my 2 cents.

Injury or not I can tell yall only what I ses and he def has a problem with drops, especially the easy ones, on another quick screen to julio, he bobbled the ball bad before bringing it in and taking off.

I see it slightly different. I agree about the drops and he needs to work on awareness of the sideline more(cause he does make some nice line catches) but as far as working back to the ball, if a defense is determined to take him away it won't matter much because there'll be a guy on top of him, next to him and underneath him. I also see guys making extra efforts to tackle him because they know if he misses the tackle Julio could be gone. I saw guys harass his feet until he tripped in the skins game. Julio is a converted RB so I wouldn't worry too much about his power and breaking tackles ability. Some db's are really good at tripping rb's and wr's.

His best years are ahead of him. If everybody peaked as a rookie that may not be a good thing. Roddy had the bust tag placed on him after two years. I think he will be a real good option at WR opposite of Roddy for another season or so before he really enters his prime.

I see it slightly different. I agree about the drops and he needs to work on awareness of the sideline more(cause he does make some nice line catches) but as far as working back to the ball, if a defense is determined to take him away it won't matter much because there'll be a guy on top of him, next to him and underneath him. I also see guys making extra efforts to tackle him because they know if he misses the tackle Julio could be gone. I saw guys harass his feet until he tripped in the skins game. Julio is a converted RB so I wouldn't worry too much about his power and breaking tackles ability. Some db's are really good at tripping rb's and wr's.

roddy been doing it for yrs with two defenders on him. if a play is breaking down julio needs to break his route and come back, not just finish the designed route, and he does do that on occasion just not enough. His only catch against the panthers was the exact thing im talking about. matt was in trouble and he created a lane for matt to throw to

oh I think julio is way way way far from peaking we are just scratching the surface. if ya look back at my OP, I said his arrow is pointing way up, this is just what I have seen thru five games, either way its nice to have real football discussions again on this site.

roddy been doing it for yrs with two defenders on him. if a play is breaking down julio needs to break his route and come back, not just finish the designed route, and he does do that on occasion just not enough. His only catch against the panthers was the exact thing im talking about. matt was in trouble and he created a lane for matt to throw to

Sometimes Roddy could do it. There were games where Roddy was taken completely away because nobody feared Jenks so they committed 3 ppl to him. TG was our bail out guy in those games. though I agree with you even Roddy was shown the light by Joe Horn before he became the Roddy we know and love. He definitely has a bright bright future.