A Tale Of Fedex Field

hooshman

Bright and Early, I arrived in the Green Lot at 9:30 to start my epic adventure of attending my first game as an opposing fan. The cold and rain combined with my hangover from the previous night left me in a bitter mood, but a certain sense of pride was coursing through my veins as I donned our red Matty Ice Jersey over an assorted of other jackets and T-shirts. I had been generously invited to my good friends tailgate who offered not only food and refreshments, but also a safe ride home from a day of certain debauchery. We started off strong by pounding a quick few beer and shotgunning a few more. Waiting for the grill to start up we through the old pigskin around while dodging the incoming tailgaters.

For my birthday I was given 2 tickets to the game from family friends and was determined to not let a dull moment pass. After devouring a few kebobs we started delving into the more heavy alcohol. From Stone Ruination IPA to Old Rasputin Imperial Stout we drank like The Burner after a Falcon win until we ran out of booze. Suddenly, I was surrounded by the enemy. Everywhere I looked I saw a sea of burgundy and gold proudly displaying RGIII, Orakpo and Kerrigan Jerseys. My friend who was taking my second ticket knew of another tailgate we were welcome at, and seeing as there was no more alcohol we started our long walk around the stadium. As I shuffled my way through the pregame festivities, I was heckled at relentlessly. Nothing truely phased me as I was more proud of the dirty looks I received rather than disheartened. My saving grace was my buddy, a die-hard redskins fan, claiming that I was a good guy because I had purchased his ticket (Which was untrue).

The second tailgate was as much fun as the first one. They had a large deep fryer and offered us a plethora of fried goods, while also forcing us to drink a steady PIRATED VIDEO IS ILLEGAL of beer. We hung out with them, playing cornhole and ladder golf until 30 minutes before kick off. Wanting to keep my buzz throughout the game I discretely taped a flask to my inside of my leg. We quickly help the tailgate clean and pack up and head towards Fedex.

Security is a joke. Even with a metal wand, they quickly allowed me into the game. Our seats are great lower level, 18 rows back on the 10 yard line. The rain has held up for most of the day which was a blessing by itself. Also, I am lucky because everyone around me were Falcons fans. The game is great, the players are so much bigger than I would have imagine. Spoon's hit on RGIII occured right in front of me and was devastating. Our defense seemed to be much faster than there team and Tony Gonzales could not be stopped. There never was a doubt in my mind that we would lose. Matt Ryan had an aura about him as the fourth quarter started. When Turner scored our last TD the stadium started to empty. I was quite confused because they still had a chance to get the ball back.

We left the game and stumbled our way back to our ride. Nothing is sweeter than coming into someone else's house and handing them a L. Can't wait until the dirty birds come back into town!

Great story, I've never been to Fed Ex Field before, but one of the things that I don't like about the Dome is you can't really tailgate like you want to. Having been to Sanford Stadium a couple of times where the atmosphere is phenomenal, the area surrounding the Dome just doesn't invite tailgating like you would want. Glad you had a great time & a Bird's "W" makes it even better. It's funny, the size of the players is always one of the first things i notice whenever I 'm close to the sidelines. TV doesn't do them any justice. These guys are enormous

Was my first game as an opposing fan as well. Tailgating with the Skins fans was a great experience for the most part. The only fight I saw break out, was between two Skins fans, one of which destroyed a fellow Skins fan for being a total **** to a bunch of Falcons fans.

Was my first game as an opposing fan as well. Tailgating with the Skins fans was a great experience for the most part. The only fight I saw break out, was between two Skins fans, one of which destroyed a fellow Skins fan for being a total **** to a bunch of Falcons fans.

Faith in humanity: RESTORED!

Sinc when did anybody go to a game and not douse a 6 pack before entering the stadium.

BTW Bootlegging a pint of hooch into a game is SOP.

I miss the party busses to the games.

You all remember the ones with a few kegs on the bus.

I went to the game, I had no alcohol. Outside of Navy liberty ports(little to do but drink and shop), I may have had a case of beer in 10 years. Enjoy a fine red with my Filet Mignon from time to time though.

I was there representing the birds as well. DC is home for me, but it was crazy to also see the amount of Falcon fans we have in the area. I was high-five'n fans all day saying Rise Up! LOL And it was sweeter walking out with the win. I got some interesting insults but I laughed it off and just told them to go check on RG3 because Spoon just tucked him in for the night.

I can't overstate how the Falcons fans represented in FedEx. I'm still amazed at how many of us there were. Like I said before it was at least FOUR times as many Falcons fans as there were in 06. You know you're doing a good job when the hometown fans feel inclined to start chanting offense because your chants of defense are getting too loud.

Ha, hilarious story, man.

I wish I'd been in a section with Falcons fans. The only tickets I could get, I was SURROUNDED by 'Skins fans; aside from my friend who I had brought to her first NFL game, not another Bird in sight. Didn't stop me from screeching "YES, YES, YES" after all our scores and interceptions.

Needless to say, I was not popular in my section, and I got a few *comments* at game's end. But hey, it's all good. Just had to point to this to shut 'em up:

IMG_0722.jpg