Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

#1 pick™

#1 Pick's First Qb Superlatives Thread

276 posts in this topic

Nice lists for the most part, though I don't think Jake Locker is top 5 in any category, and Cam makes a few too many appearances on the list as well, especially the "most talented," From a physical standpoint he may be the most talented QB in the league but if he isn't smart enough to use it right then it doesn't matter for much.

It comes down to this. My friend said this in regards to Ryan compared to Cam.

A master with a knife is more lethal than a novice with a sword. Cam has more talent than anyone in Football. He is a true dual threat who is willing to pass before he runs, he can make every throw, doesn't have any skill flaws and top tier work ethic. You can talk about leadership and stuff like that all day but that can be fixed with the right coaching, personnel, etc. But Cam doesn't really know how to be a great passer or use any of his tools beyond an novice level.

Ryan is not that talented. His arm strength is average, he can't make every throw, his deep ball accuracy sucks but he is a master at all he does do.

Matt Ryan is more lethal than Cam Newton.

I just don't understand your logical. Just because he hasn't shown it this year, doesn't mean he isn't good in those categories. Although, he has had some games where I thought he was going to make a come back win.

If you're going by season, incorporate stats bc statistically Ryan should be number one in some other categories. I think this is just all made up with no real evidence.

I didn't say he wasn't good at those categories. I said he wasn't top 5. In some of these categories, the top 10 might as well be the top 5.

It seems you define talent solely as "being an athletic freak". If that was the case a good number of the elite quarterbacks of the last twenty five years would be "untalented" by your weird description.

Nice lists for the most part, though I don't think Jake Locker is top 5 in any category, and Cam makes a few too many appearances on the list as well, especially the "most talented," From a physical standpoint he may be the most talented QB in the league but if he isn't smart enough to use it right then it doesn't matter for much.

I agree about the "Most talented". I don't know what this is supposed to be. 4 of the 6 QBs listed are rookies or second year players. Jake Locker has played in 9 games.

But overall, I like his post.

It comes down to this. My friend said this in regards to Ryan compared to Cam.

A master with a knife is more lethal than a novice with a sword. Cam has more talent than anyone in Football. He is a true dual threat who is willing to pass before he runs, he can make every throw, doesn't have any skill flaws and top tier work ethic. You can talk about leadership and stuff like that all day but that can be fixed with the right coaching, personnel, etc. But Cam doesn't really know how to be a great passer or use any of his tools beyond an novice level.

Ryan is not that talented. His arm strength is average, he can't make every throw, his deep ball accuracy sucks but he is a master at all he does do.

Matt Ryan is more lethal than Cam Newton.

if physical talent can be a gift so can mental.

http://www.usatoday....umbles/1618139/

Michael Vick is a fumble machine

2:48PM EST October 7. 2012 - Michael Vick lost a fumble near the goal line and another at midfield to add to his league-leading turnover total in the Philadelphia Eagles intrastate battle against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Vick now has an NFL high five lost fumbles 11 turnovers.

The fumble came on a called running play on 1st-and-goal from the Pittsburgh three-yard line, which begs the question: Why is Andy Reid drawing up draw plays for Vick when the Eagles are so close to the end zone?

screen-shot-2012-10-07-at-2.09.26-pm-4_3_r560_c560x380.png?e30e514401c44b160da53c4fd24ece0b885793ba

hi-res-153632009_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=440&q=75

A defeated and dejected Cam Newton (1) heads to the locker room following Seattle's 16-12 victory over the Panthers.

Streeter Lecka/Getty Images

Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers Teetering on Irrelevance After Loss to Seahawks

It seems you define talent solely as "being an athletic freak". If that was the case a good number of the elite quarterbacks of the last twenty five years would be "untalented" by your weird description.

Not close to true. I defined what I said most talented mean. Athletic ability is only a fraction of it. I think Peyton was one of the most talented QB's ever. He wasn't athletic but he did have athleticism like pocket mobility.

if physical talent can be a gift so can mental.

It is but not to the same extent.

A Top 10 list of what NFL talent evaluators look for when figuring if a college passer has what it takes to succeed at the league's premier position.

QUARTERBACK CHECKLIST

#1 ARM STRENGTH : The Redskins overlooked this in drafting Heath Shuler at #3 IN 1994, as did the Bears in taking Cade McNown at #12 in 1999. " Name the last great quarterback who didn't have a strong arm," says former Giants passer Phil Simms. " I can't." In this draft, Jay Cutler of Vanderbilt and Kellen Clemens of Oregon would please Simms.

#2 FOOTBALL IQ : "The most important thing we do in evaluating a quarterback," says Titans coach Jeff Fisher, "is putting him up in front of our staff, firing questions at him and seeing if he can break down defenses and analyze why he makes certain decisions." Teams like that Matt Leinart got a head start by studying the NFL game tape last fall while at USC.

#3 ACCURACY : Michael Vick of the Falcons, the #1 pick in 2001, remains vexed by what troubled him at Virginia Tech : a low completion percentage. Vick's rate is 54.1% , about five points BELOW the league average. That's two or three completions per game that stops drives.

#4 MOBILITY : Good Vision and nimble feet can make up for sheer speed. The Colts Peyton Manning , the first pick in the 1998 draft, can move in the pocket and avoid rushers well enough.

#5 LEADERSHIP : Tom Brady is a regular at the Patriots' off-season workout programs. It's not hard to get full attendance when this era's Joe Montana leads the way.

#6 TOUGHNESS : Packers GM Tom Wolf, whom traded for Brett Favre in 1992 and later drafted Matt Hasselbeck in the 6th round in 1998, figured out Favre when, 31 days after stomach surgery, Favre took the field and led his college team, Southern Mississippi, to victory.

#7 RESUME : Says Saints coach Sean Payton, " I want to see a winner, a competitor, a guy who plays great from behind, a guy who plays well in big games." Though Cutler was on a bad Vanderbilt team, coaches believe he raised the play of the Commodores significantly.

#8 MATURITY : In 1998 the Chargers (drafting 2nd) overlooked such red flags around Ryan Leaf as his skipping his interview with the Colts (who held the 1st pick) at the scouting combine.

#9 PEDIGREE : " I love a coach's or player's son," says Eagles coach Andy Reid. "Favre, Hasselbeck, Ty Detmer, Mark Brunell, A.J. Feeley-- they've had the competitive part of the game pounded into them. They're going to know what it takes to win."

#10 HAND SIZE : No Kidding. Teams want a guy whose outstretched throwing hand measures at least 9 1/2 inches from the tip of the thumb to the tip of the little finger. The Eagles knocked Daunte Culpepper off their draft list in 1999 in part because of his small hands.

Lets have another catergory:

Most likely to be benched:

1. Sanchez (Time is up for him and the Media demands Tebow)

2. Gabbert (last in passing but he is young which may help him)

3. Vick (That team could be un-defeated if they had a game manager)

4. Russel Wilson (Like Vick team has won inspite of him, and with Flynn on the bench it could be soon.)

5. Tebow (Does the Jets have a 3rd string qb)

Shnikies likes this

I just don't understand your logical. Just because he hasn't shown it this year, doesn't mean he isn't good in those categories. Although, he has had some games where I thought he was going to make a come back win.

If you're going by season, incorporate stats bc statistically Ryan should be number one in some other categories. I think this is just all made up with no real evidence.

His assessments are done via the eye test. What he thinks from watching the players, not what they do statistically. I tend to disagree with him a lot more often than agree, and he does seem to have a large bias toward mobile QB's. He doesn't seem to be very big on Ryan, as he has openly stated he'd rather have Cam, even now after the first 5 weeks where Ryan has looked like an MVP candidate and Cam has looked as a bottom dweller.

Personally, when assessing QB's, the most important things are leadership, ball security, resiliency, and their ability to dissect a defense. Ryan is lightyears head of Cam in all 3 of these. But for some reason he prefers mobility and arm strength over all of those. He also thinks that those other things are easy to develop.

falconidae likes this

Not close to true. I defined what I said most talented mean. Athletic ability is only a fraction of it. I think Peyton was one of the most talented QB's ever. He wasn't athletic but he did have athleticism like pocket mobility.

And Matt Ryan has freakishly more natural talent in the football intelligence, work ethic and leadership aspects of the game than Newton does

His assessments are done via the eye test. What he thinks from watching the players, not what they do statistically. I tend to disagree with him a lot more often than agree, and he does seem to have a large bias toward mobile QB's. He doesn't seem to be very big on Ryan, as he has openly stated he'd rather have Cam, even now after the first 5 weeks where Ryan has looked like an MVP candidate and Cam has looked as a bottom dweller.

Personally, when assessing QB's, the most important things are leadership, ball security, resiliency, and their ability to dissect a defense. Ryan is lightyears head of Cam in all 3 of these. But for some reason he prefers mobility and arm strength over all of those. He also thinks that those other things are easy to develop.

Hence the litany of past athletic freak bust quarterbacks ranging from kordell Stewart, to Vince young, to Jamarcus Russell and down the line of athletes who could never develop them. Add leaf to that list who was talented, very, but also untalented in key mental aspects of the game. Tim couch. TimmTebow.

A lot of people prefer that WOW factor , seeing someone escape a few tackles and dive for the end zone. I myself like the "win" factor , I don't care if we look like pure garbage I want a win. If you would have told me a few years back that Vick would be gone and we were going with a pocket passer rookie QB I would've said **** no. Now that I actually see what it's like to have a legit passing attack I can admit I was wrong in wanting that wow guy, i'd much rather win. Cam is exciting to watch and so is Vick but they are turnover machines and can not audible and pick apart defenses like Ryan can.

A lot of people prefer that WOW factor , seeing someone escape a few tackles and dive for the end zone. I myself like the "win" factor , I don't care if we look like pure garbage I want a win. If you would have told me a few years back that Vick would be gone and we were going with a pocket passer rookie QB I would've said **** no. Now that I actually see what it's like to have a legit passing attack I can admit I was wrong in wanting that wow guy, i'd much rather win. Cam is exciting to watch and so is Vick but they are turnover machines and can not audible and pick apart defenses like Ryan can.

screen-shot-2012-07-20-at-6-36-07-pm1.png

Personally, when assessing QB's, the most important things are leadership, ball security, resiliency, and their ability to dissect a defense.

Tim Tebow would be great in your scheme. Would Alex Smith fit the bill too?

#1 pick™ likes this