So Mike Mularkey Wasn't The Problem?

Falconsfan567

Mike Mularkey: Blaine Gabbert will not be benched

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

Published: Oct. 8, 2012 at 09:58 a.m.

Updated: Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:14 a.m.

Jacksonville Jaguars coach Mike Mularkey said he is not considering a quarterback change after Blaine Gabbert had two interceptions returned for a touchdown against the Chicago Bears in a 41-3 loss on Sunday. Gabbert also lost a fumble.

"The two pick sixes make it look like it's on him. He could have played better as they all could have. There are some things that I would like him to do better," Mularkey said.

The Jaguars offense improbably may be worse this season. Gabbert is dead last among qualifiers in yards-per-attempt. The team is dead last in yards and points. The Jaguars have not even been competitive in three homes.

Mularkey told his team that "No matter what is said outside, I think people inside know we are closer than anybody will ever write or say in the next two weeks."

Mularkey preached staying the course. Some players felt otherwise.

"It's going to take something, because the same thing is not going to work," safety Dwight Lowery told the Florida Times-Union. "We can't keep doing the same thing."

Too often, we're seeing the same thing out of Gabbert that we saw last year. He sees the pass rush before it arrives. He's slow in his decision making. He freezes.

This season in Jacksonville is all about Gabbert's development. Thus far, we haven't seen much

Anyone who think Ryan under Mularkey is the same as Ryan this year is blind. Of course he was a big part of the problem.

And I'm not suggesting that we have found the solution either, just that we exposed Mularkey to be the problem. This year team still has some important weaknesses. I'm not convinced we're an elite team that our record indicates, but not having Mularkey is certainly progress.

I give MM credit for bringing Ryan along at the beginning, but as much as he probably stunted Matt's growth in the end, it is probably worse for Gabbert because he is the head coach & no one can reign him in. The biggest problem with Mularkey is his philosophy has not changed, & he will not evolve. You hear Lowery's statement, "we keep doing the same thing" Is that not what happened with us?We were sorely predictable under MM, and I don't know why Jax'ville thought it would be different. I think Matt is a great QB & we had enough talent to overcome it sometimes, but Gabbert is not & their talent is not. They will go through a couple of years before it becomes painfully obvious what we already knew. If we as fans can see what you are doing, then NFL coaches will eat it alive

ok heres my thoughts on this whole subject MM was perfect the first couple of years he was here because of Ryan ...............IF he had been the coach for Gabbert LAST year Gabbert would be a better QB than he is now.

Ryan progressed to a point where he was past what MM could help and MM didn't change the game plan so MM needed to go given time MM might get Gabbert to playing like a NFL QB if last year didn't scar him for life.

I like what we have now as far as OC and DC and IMO we haven't even scratched the surface of what this team can do

sam

Where's the king Mularkey homer named FFS70? I wanna know how Mularkey wasn't the reason the Falcons offense couldn't get to the next level.

Also who was it that said Mularkey's offense in Jacksonville would finish the season ranked higher than Koetter's offense in Atlanta? Who was that? Was that swift?

ok heres my thoughts on this whole subject MM was perfect the first couple of years he was here because of Ryan ...............IF he had been the coach for Gabbert LAST year Gabbert would be a better QB than he is now.

You are giving Mularkey too much credit, and Ryan not enough. Ryan apparently made Mularkey look competent. If Ryan had Koetter 4 years ago, imagine how good he would be now. And I am not saying Koetter is some genius coach either.

Why are our fans obsessed with Mike Mularkey?

Like 10 threads a week about him. It's weird man.

This thread has more to do with the Mularkey homers and Koetter haters on here than the actually coaches themselves. These fools need to come out and admit they were wrong.

Musgrave - that's who we missed.

I agree. He's done wonders with Christian Ponder.

Why are our fans obsessed with Mike Mularkey?

Like 10 threads a week about him. It's weird man.

They want validation that our start is not smoke and mirrors so constantly bringing him up makes them feel better about how good we are. Personally, as long as we keep getting the W's that's all I give a **** about.

probably because a few posters here spent the last few years obnoxiously shoving him down our throats.

Well I'd think everybody would want to move past him then.

The guy was the OC here, took over a terrible offense, had a lot of success, and left.

He's gone now. I don't get it.

The other thing is....most of the people that were critical of the Koetter hiring....like myself....were upset about it or critical about it for 5 minutes or so...then said "well, he's our guy now, let's see what he can do".

This whole calling out thing is a bit asinine to me.

Well I'd think everybody would want to move past him then.

The guy was the OC here, took over a terrible offense, had a lot of success, and left.

He's gone now. I don't get it.

my bad, lol, that came off as a bit more snarky than I intended.

Its human nature really, if someone spends two years telling you that you are wrong in the most obnoxious way possible when time starts to prove you right its natural to want to go back and rub it in their face a little bit. Same reason you still see Curtis Lofton threads popping up.