Matt Ryan Is Regressing

Regressing?? What season are u watching? He is getting MVP considerations and is on pace to throw 40+ tds. I guess everyone forgot his heroics against carolina. A 60 yd bomb to lead the team to a winning fg with no timeouts and after getting sacked 8 times. Thats what champions are made of.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regressing?? What season are u watching? He is getting MVP considerations and is on pace to throw 40+ tds. I guess everyone forgot his heroics against carolina. A 60 yd bomb to lead the team to a winning fg with no timeouts and after getting sacked 8 times. Thats what champions are made of.

It's not even a long article, you have no excuse for being ignorant on this matter man...

peyton I see what ya trying to say about matt throwing to tony but I disagree. bc the way were playing who can tell how many catches our top three guys will end with.

this game tony catches 13 balls, but last game he only had 5 and roddy had 8. against the redskins julio had 9 catches but against the panthers only had one. it goes from game to game seeing how they want to defend us. I personally thing baring injury they will all have about the same number of catches within ten or so separating them.

peyton I see what ya trying to say about matt throwing to tony but I disagree. bc the way were playing who can tell how many catches our top three guys will end with.

this game tony catches 13 balls, but last game he only had 5 and roddy had 8. against the redskins julio had 9 catches but against the panthers only had one. it goes from game to game seeing how they want to defend us. I personally thing baring injury they will all have about the same number of catches within ten or so separating them.

Ton Gonzalez is on pace to catch 50% more passes this season with the Falcons than he has ever caught with the team.

I think that's a great thing.

It's just silly for anyone to say that we leaned on Tony too much in the past and imply that we are leaning on him less now.

It's just not reality.

Ton Gonzalez is on pace to catch 50% more passes this season with the Falcons than he has ever caught with the team.

I think that's a great thing.

It's just silly for anyone to say that we leaned on Tony too much in the past and imply that we are leaning on him less now.

It's just not reality.

and im saying that pace number means nothing this season bc next game he might only have 3 catches and julio has 10 or roddy does. against the chiefs he had only 5 catches for about 50 yds and julio had 9.

I love how tony is playing, but this is about pace numbers, 5 game in which is a descent sample size and all the games have featured different play makers at the wr position, so that pace number means nothing to me.

Edited by jdawg4876

I can see both sides of this debate. I do think the Ryan is playing better and overall showing more confidence and poise than he did in 2009 and 2010. However, I will also say I don't think it's a night and day switch and may not even have so much to do with MM as it does with just getting more comfortable with what Julio and Roddy can do when they're on the field together. I think he was moving in this direction last year, but partly because of the O-line issues, partly because of the unfamiliarity with Julio, and yes partly because of MM's playcalling, he didn't quite get there.

I also agree that the playcalling hasn't been drastically different, but the differences are noticeable. I've heard folks say that we passed a ton under Mularkey (true), we took deep shots and ran crossing routes (true), we are still throwing the ball to TG a ton (obviously true), but the way our offense runs is just so much smoother overall. Those crossing routes are more of the rule now than the exception, the deep shots are undeniably more effective this year, and Tony is getting the ball because he is getting great matchups 1 on 1 with LBs thanks to all of the attention Roddy and Julio are getting. He had 13 catches yesterday on 14 targets. In 2009 and 2010 there were certainly a lot of times TG was an outlet when the WRs were covered, but he was clearly the 2nd option most of the time and Ryan forced a good number of throws to him too.

I'm starting to ramble, but I'm just trying to say that there is no doubt that there is something different about this offense this year. That said, I think it's more subtle changes and natural progression than simply MM is gone and Ryan can be a gunslinger again.

Edited by Lucky_Tom

I guess the point of the article is that Matt is back to taking chances, but I don't really agree with that at all.

Yesterday Matt looked like the same guy that would dink and dunk the ball down the field in 2010.

The thing is.....I didn't really have a problem with it in 2010, and neither did anybody else, until the Falcons got torched in the playoffs.

The reason i disagree is i saw Matt multiple times look to go deep.... Thats what i want.... In 2010 he didnt look to go deep that much at all... I dont want dude going deep just to go deep and throwing pickoffs in that process .... Like Tony G said... They double team Roddy and Julio most of the time (wasnt trying to give up the deep routes) .... Thats why Tony G had a HUGE game.

We took our deep shot when it was there most of the time... Im ok if we doesnt throw a bomb every game... As long as we look to take shots... We are doing things different because opportunities will come