Top Posters In This Topic

Atlanta Falcons 2012: Matt Ryan is Actually Regressing

Why that is a Good Thing

40_1521794-2.jpg

Christopher Beheler, Yahoo! Contributor Network

Oct 7, 2012 "Share your voice on Yahoo! websites. Start Here."

<p class="share_tools">

FlagPost a comment

The Atlanta Falcons are coming off a last second come from behind win against the Carolina Panthers. The Falcons sit at 4-0 on the young season, and fifth year starting quarterback, Matt Ryan is getting a lot of credit for it. NFL pundits are starting to rave about the "new, more mature" Matt Ryan. But I am not so sure this the progression you would expect to see from a quarterback going into his fifth year. In fact, I think Matt Ryan is regressing. And that is a good thing.

Echos of 2008

On Sunday, September 30, 2012, I sat in the same seat that I have for years. With 50 seconds left in the game, the Carolina Panthers downed a punt on Atlanta's one yard line. The Falcons were down 28-27 with no time outs. But I could not help but feel confident that the Falcons had the game won, because I had been there before.

In 2008, Matt Ryan engineered a miracle against the Chicago Bears. (You can read my article on the game here.) Then-rookie Matt Ryan made an amazing throw to set up the game winning field goal. The aim and decision making of that throw far exceeded my expectations. So when Matt Ryan took the field with the game on the line against the Panthers in 2012, I already knew it could be done.

Taking chances

Through four games in 2012, Matt Ryan has only two interceptions compared to 11 touchdowns. Yet Matt Ryan is taking more chances with his throws. Even after throwing an interception against Carolina, Matt Ryan completed several key passes in tight coverage. There is more zip on his ball as he throws with more confidence.

Matt Ryan had a reputation as a gunslinger while in college. In his rookie season, Ryan was often put into situations where he had to make a play after rushing plays on first and second down. He wowed the league with his poise in those pressure situations. In 2012, Ryan is showing that same poise.

Proof is in the feet

There is no greater proof that 2008 Matt Ryan has returned than when watching Ryan run with the ball. During a huge game against the Minnesota Vikings in 2008, Matt Ryan put his body on the line trying to rush for a touchdown. His leaping body was smashed by a Minnesota defender, and Ryan fumbled the ball as he spun in the air from the impact. Atlanta recovered in the end zone and went on to win the game.

From 2009 to 2011, Ryan's rushing attempts grew more awkward. He seemed unsure of himself, and his slides became premature and somewhat goofy looking.

The 2012 season has seen a far more willing Matt Ryan emerge. Not due to happy feet, as his seven sacks in the Carolina game would attest to. Instead, Ryan is willing to take running lanes when the defense gives them. His slides are more last second, and he is gaining extra yards. Ryan has averaged 4.8 yards per carry in 2012. This is a huge jump from the previous four years, where he averaged 2.1 yards per carry.

New wrinkles

Atlanta Falcons OC Dirk Koetter has finally provided Matt Ryan with a wide open game plan. (You can read my article on it here.) The addition of screen passes and running back involvement have made Ryan far more efficient. Through the first four games of 2012, Matt Ryan has posted an incredible 112.1 quarterback rating. In 2008, coaches raved about Ryan's ability to learn the playbook and control the no huddle offense. Koetter's new playbook seems to finally have given Ryan enough weapons to truly fulfill the promise he showed in 2008.

That was a really good article. The title threw me for a second. I love this part. I remember that play. I thought Matt was going to get himself killed. It really makes you think about MM and if he really was in Matts head to much.

Proof is in the feet

There is no greater proof that 2008 Matt Ryan has returned than when watching Ryan run with the ball. During a huge game against the Minnesota Vikings in 2008, Matt Ryan put his body on the line trying to rush for a touchdown. His leaping body was smashed by a Minnesota defender, and Ryan fumbled the ball as he spun in the air from the impact. Atlanta recovered in the end zone and went on to win the game.

Wondering if Ryan just doesn't trust HD to catch the ball or if HD is just option 4-5 and he never gets there in his reads.

He's a later read in Ryan's progression, but when Roddy and Julio are doubled, you have to go to Tony and HD. Tony was a beast, but HD got two catches. We should have seen him pressing that seam more like he did when Ryan overthrew him. He was also open a few times when Ryan threw it to Tony instead. If Ryan incorporates a pump in his game, guys will get open. He only pumps on double moves.

I guess the point of the article is that Matt is back to taking chances, but I don't really agree with that at all.

Yesterday Matt looked like the same guy that would dink and dunk the ball down the field in 2010.

The thing is.....I didn't really have a problem with it in 2010, and neither did anybody else, until the Falcons got torched in the playoffs.

I had a huge problem with us even going 13-3. Noticed that he no longer took risks like 2008. The dinking and dunking and the OVERLY excessive targeting of Tony Gonzalez was horrible! I started asking for Mularky's head since Tony got here. Felt that he stunted the growth of Ryan for years now. Taught him how to play it safe... too safe.

I had a huge problem with us even going 13-3. Noticed that he no longer took risks like 2008. The dinking and dunking and the OVERLY excessive targeting of Tony Gonzalez was horrible! I started asking for Mularky's head since Tony got here. Felt that he stunted the growth of Ryan for years now. Taught him how to play it safe... too safe.

Ironic day to make that comment. Gonzo never had a 10 catch game with the Falcons before yesterday...when he had 13 catches.

^^ This ^^

Mularkey's 70's offense was fine to point, but the team and offensive talent evolved beyond that.

MM was a good schemer in the running game,and his conservative style of play did a great job of prtecting a young QB, but to get to the next level we needed to move on.

We now have a more contemporary passing offence. To win in this league you have to be aggressive in order to make the plays to do so. You can't beat the best teams in the NFL by being consevrative and waiting for your opponent to make errors that hand you the game.

^^ This ^^

Mularkey's 70's offense was fine to point, but the team and offensive talent evolved beyond that.

MM was a good schemer in the running game,and his conservative style of play did a great job of prtecting a young QB, but to get to the next level we needed to move on.

We now have a more contemporary passing offence. To win in this league you have to be aggressive in order to make the plays to do so. You can't beat the best teams in the NFL by being consevrative and waiting for your opponent to make errors that hand you the game.

So you agreed with that point about throwing to Gonzo too much, did ya.

Wondering if Ryan just doesn't trust HD to catch the ball or if HD is just option 4-5 and he never gets there in his reads.

HD slowed down on the pass that sailed over his head. After re watching it looked like HD started looking for ball and didn't finish the route. It could be Ryan over threw the ball or it could be because HD didn't finish the route after slowing down but Ryan and HD are not in sync.

Proof is in the feet

From 2009 to 2011, Ryan's rushing attempts grew more awkward. He seemed unsure of himself, and his slides became premature and somewhat goofy looking.

If Ryan isn't taking those kind of risks anymore it's most likely because he's been coached not to. See RG3 yesterday.

I guess the point of the article is that Matt is back to taking chances, but I don't really agree with that at all.

Yesterday Matt looked like the same guy that would dink and dunk the ball down the field in 2010.

The thing is.....I didn't really have a problem with it in 2010, and neither did anybody else, until the Falcons got torched in the playoffs.

lol

So you agreed with that point about throwing to Gonzo too much, did ya.

I think we are mixing things up better this year than in the past, although i would still like to see us using HD and our 4th/5th WRs a little more.

In the past, there were time when it was ALL Roddy and Gonzalez.

I think we are mixing things up better this year than in the past, although i would still like to see us using HD and our 4th/5th WRs a little more.

In the past, there were time when it was ALL Roddy and Gonzalez.

Well Gonzo is on pace to shatter his career high in reception this year. On pace for 125 catches. Gonzalez and White have 51.4% of the Falcons pass receptions this year. I've done research on this stat in the past, and honestly, I think that is the highest it has ever been, or really close to it. Last year White and Gonzo had 49.3% of the receptions.

Speaking of regressing to 2008, Ryan was an alien playing out of his mind. He made some of the most crazy throws I have ever seen. I even remember Dilfer doing a segment on ESPN about it and pointing out the ridiculous pin-point kinds of throws he was making. From 2009-2011 he looked NOTHING like the 2008 QB. I still don't think he's totally back there yet, but he is a different QB this season.

And I think Gonzo did hurt his progress. He is throwing to Gonzo more his season, but it's still different than the way he depended on him before. Now Gonzo is not a crutch, when he throws to him it's because it's where that throw should have gone.

Speaking of regressing to 2008, Ryan was an alien playing out of his mind. He made some of the most crazy throws I have ever seen. I even remember Dilfer doing a segment on ESPN about it and pointing out the ridiculous pin-point kinds of throws he was making. From 2009-2011 he looked NOTHING like the 2008 QB. I still don't think he's totally back there yet, but he is a different QB this season.

And I think Gonzo did hurt his progress. He is throwing to Gonzo more his season, but it's still different than the way he depended on him before. Now Gonzo is not a crutch, when he throws to him it's because it's where that throw should have gone.

I watched that 2008 season again. He was better last year and better this year as well. You guys keep referencing that season like he was Peyton Jr. but he basically the same player he was in 2009 as in 2008.

I watched that 2008 season again. He was better last year and better this year as well. You guys keep referencing that season like he was Peyton Jr. but he basically the same player he was in 2009 as in 2008.

He wasn't better last year to me. He didn't ever really look fluid and confident last year.

He was much smarter last year than in 2008. How he looked confidence wise was more on Turner's regressing and line's pass blocking more than himself.

I can agree with that....but I do think he's more mentally solid this year than ever before. We would've lost that game against Carolina any other year with Matt taking 7 sacks and countless hits. The difference is in him....he isn't letting circumstance dictate him not going out and putting us in a position to win the game.

Do you remember the huge brass ones that Ryan displayed in New Orleans during 2008? His fake hand off where he completely let go of the ball in order to sell it? I think Murlarkey did his best to coach that out of him, but I see it coming back.

Guest Negatorris

His arm strength still is below average. But he has improved his velocity to a small degree, he needs to take more risk. Most of his INT's are strictly not seeing a guy and the defensive player picking it off. He doesn't have many risks interceptions.

How is his arm strength below average? I knew you were stupid, but ****. His arm strength is the same as Brady's and Brees'. Take off your troll glasses.