Rev's Thoughts On The Redskins Game

Rev_Hal

Another weekend of Falcons football, another big win. Lets break this down.

1. I AM JUSTIFIED!!!!! I took a lot of crap last week for saying that the Falcons played poorly compared to the first 3 games. Well, they did not play their best again yesterday, but still won. Do you know who agrees with me? Mike Smith and Matt Ryan both said after the game that they did not play at near the level they are capable of, and that there is a great deal of improvement that needs to happen. So when a bunch of waterheads jump down my throat for being objective and honest, you better go after your coach and MVP level QB as well. I feel like I am in pretty good company with my assessment!!!!!

2. Ok, to the game. Unlike the Panthers game, the Falcons did not play a slap bad game. This was a hard fought game against a team with some playmakers. This was a fun game to watch from kickoff to the final whistle. In fact, if Julio catches the 1st QTR bomb that hits him in the chest and Ryan does not throw a pick 6, the game really is not that close. We let them hang around longer than we should have.

3. In the 1st QTR, the Falcons looked flat. All day, we did not get into the same offensive rhythm that we had in the first 3 games. They pulled it together against a tougher D than I expected, but still did not dominate like we have earlier in the season. This is due to teams having more tape on our new offense, and game planning for us.

4. Matt Bryant may be the most clutch kicker we have ever had. He is right up there with Morten Andersen and Mick Luckhurst in my opinion.

5. Tony G was by far the star of the game. I hope Dimitroff can talk him into playing 1 more year. He is at his highest level since getting to Atlanta. Like fine wine, he keeps getting better and better.

6. This team does have an Achilles Heel – the run defense. That needs to get better in a hurry.

7. We had more drops yesterday than I remember in a while. Turner is dropping most of everything, which is why Mullarkey never threw to him. And if we throw another pass to a backup center, I will take a hostage.

8. We have 3 of the best safeties in the game – William Moore, Thomas Decoud, and Kroy Biermann. Yeah, I just typed that. Other than the 1 totally blown coverage on the Cousins touchdown, they played at a high level yet again. And Biermann dropping back to safety just makes me giggle.

9. The 1 thing I did not see was the swagger that the team had earlier in the season. I am not saying it is not there, I just didn’t noticeably see it.

10. This is a really good team, but as Coach Smith and Matt Ryan said after the game, we are not playing at the level we are capable of, and we need to improve quickly. I love hearing that from our team leaders. I am confident that this team is going to get better and be ready for a deep playoff run.

11. I have nothing to add on the Weatherspoon hit to RGIII It was legal and clean.

I think people disagreed with your assessment that Carolina out played us and deserved to win the game last week. If anyone thinks we are playing perfect football to this point they're delusional. With that said, show me a team that doesn't have a few things to clean up on both sides of the ball.

The Julio drop is the one that was under thrown and the defender came back into the play? If so I thought the ball should have been thrown outside away from the defender. I didn't think that was such a horrible play that it was game changing.

The ball HIT HIM IN THE CHEST!!! The announcers were talking about how uncharacteristic it was for Julio to drop that kind of throw. The pass was FINE!!

Another weekend of Falcons football, another big win. Lets break this down.

1. I AM JUSTIFIED!!!!! I took a lot of crap last week for saying that the Falcons played poorly compared to the first 3 games. Well, they did not play their best again yesterday, but still won. Do you know who agrees with me? Mike Smith and Matt Ryan both said after the game that they did not play at near the level they are capable of, and that there is a great deal of improvement that needs to happen. So when a bunch of waterheads jump down my throat for being objective and honest, you better go after your coach and MVP level QB as well. I feel like I am in pretty good company with my assessment!!!!!

2. Ok, to the game. Unlike the Panthers game, the Falcons did not play a slap bad game. This was a hard fought game against a team with some playmakers. This was a fun game to watch from kickoff to the final whistle. In fact, if Julio catches the 1st QTR bomb that hits him in the chest and Ryan does not throw a pick 6, the game really is not that close. We let them hang around longer than we should have.

3. In the 1st QTR, the Falcons looked flat. All day, we did not get into the same offensive rhythm that we had in the first 3 games. They pulled it together against a tougher D than I expected, but still did not dominate like we have earlier in the season. This is due to teams having more tape on our new offense, and game planning for us.

4. Matt Bryant may be the most clutch kicker we have ever had. He is right up there with Morten Andersen and Mick Luckhurst in my opinion.

5. Tony G was by far the star of the game. I hope Dimitroff can talk him into playing 1 more year. He is at his highest level since getting to Atlanta. Like fine wine, he keeps getting better and better.

6. This team does have an Achilles Heel – the run defense. That needs to get better in a hurry.

7. We had more drops yesterday than I remember in a while. Turner is dropping most of everything, which is why Mullarkey never threw to him. And if we throw another pass to a backup center, I will take a hostage.

8. We have 3 of the best safeties in the game – William Moore, Thomas Decoud, and Kroy Biermann. Yeah, I just typed that. Other than the 1 totally blown coverage on the Cousins touchdown, they played at a high level yet again. And Biermann dropping back to safety just makes me giggle.

9. The 1 thing I did not see was the swagger that the team had earlier in the season. I am not saying it is not there, I just didn’t noticeably see it.

10. This is a really good team, but as Coach Smith and Matt Ryan said after the game, we are not playing at the level we are capable of, and we need to improve quickly. I love hearing that from our team leaders. I am confident that this team is going to get better and be ready for a deep playoff run.

11. I have nothing to add on the Weatherspoon hit to RGIII It was legal and clean.

since you want to validate yourself off of what Ryan and Smith said, did they say they were dominated by the Panthers? no? oh, ok ;)

I agree though, we came out flat and shot ourselves in the foot early. defense played a great game on money downs and when it mattered at the end, and our offense did as well.

since you want to validate yourself off of what Ryan and Smith said, did they say they were dominated by the Panthers? no? oh, ok wink.png

I agree though, we came out flat and shot ourselves in the foot early. defense played a great game on money downs and when it mattered at the end, and our offense did as well.

When they say "we won, but we did not play well"... that is the same sentiment I posted. So since you want to play the nanny nanny boo boo game, its your turn.

Just remember, what you say about me bounces off of me ans sticks to you. Sticks and stones my brother.... ;)

Agreed. I think it was 2 plays (the Julio drop and the pick 6). But that shows you just how important EVERY PLAY is.

Main point being, we solidly outplayed them throughout the game and made one or two mistakes, one of them more total bad luck than a real mistake. Yes, the mistakes were made and should be cleaned up, but fundamentally, it really wasn't a badly played game.

When they say "we won, but we did not play well"... that is the same sentiment I posted. So since you want to play the nanny nanny boo boo game, its your turn.

Just remember, what you say about me bounces off of me ans sticks to you. Sticks and stones my brother.... wink.png

I guess the dramatics of calling that game a domination clouded my perception then

Your point 8 brings to mind a solution to your point 6. Install Biermann at MLB. Tell

him not to let the ball carrier past the line of scrimmage and if he thinks it is a pass to

drop into coverage. I trust his instincts to play football and his physical makeup should

give us a plus at that position. We have nobody home in the middle of our defense at

this point. Forget the learning curve.

Your point 8 brings to mind a solution to your point 6. Install Biermann at MLB. Tell

him not to let the ball carrier past the line of scrimmage and if he thinks it is a pass to

drop into coverage. I trust his instincts to play football and his physical makeup should

give us a plus at that position. We have nobody home in the middle of our defense at

this point. Forget the learning curve.

lol...that would be quite the project...can't be any worse than Dent though

lol...that would be quite the project...can't be any worse than Dent though

He understands football and has played linebacker in college. He is active and has a

nose for the football. He brings a plus where we now have a minus. That is not a project

as large as all that. He is already playing all over the place. We have to shore up the middle

of our defense.

Edited by LADBABY

I noticed all of the drops too. At that point, I figured the rain had something to do with it.

The ball HIT HIM IN THE CHEST!!! The announcers were talking about how uncharacteristic it was for Julio to drop that kind of throw. The pass was FINE!!

Maybe I'm thinking of another play but didn't Julio get hit in the face by the defender as the ball was coming. If anything it should have been pass interference. That would have been a tough play for anyone to make. I'm not willing to put that on Julio.

Rev, always agree with you as you right on! I always will add a few points like the rest of us, the Dent questions I also question, I know Smitty likes to play smash mouth football, the Giants playoff game has made him a little gun shy, this OL has to play much better for that, we are passing too much, we need these guys clearing out the run.

Edited by Club212

As always , good post Rev. I especially love 4-8.

4. Matt Bryant may be the most clutch kicker we have ever had. He is right up there with Morten Andersen and Mick Luckhurst in my opinion. Yea , Matt Bryant is the very definition of money and he makes gator noises!

5. Tony G was by far the star of the game. I hope Dimitroff can talk him into playing 1 more year. He is at his highest level since getting to Atlanta. Like fine wine, he keeps getting better and better. I was saying yesterday that Gonzo needs an award of some type. He is amazing all I can say.

6. This team does have an Achilles Heel – the run defense. That needs to get better in a hurry. I am so glad the Skins didnt send Morris at us more often. There was a time there I was extremely worried they would.

7. We had more drops yesterday than I remember in a while. Turner is dropping most of everything, which is why Mullarkey never threw to him. And if we throw another pass to a backup center, I will take a hostage. Yea , Turner needs help with catching balls. The passes to Hawley I thought were funny. Not something I would do often, but you have to admit it was entertaining.

8. We have 3 of the best safeties in the game – William Moore, Thomas Decoud, and Kroy Biermann. Yeah, I just typed that. Other than the 1 totally blown coverage on the Cousins touchdown, they played at a high level yet again. And Biermann dropping back to safety just makes me giggle.Yes , just yes. Biermann is a lot faster then I though he would be. The one TD they let get by was complacency. They took the rook to lightly. Cousins has a Trumpesque hair doo!

Maybe I'm thinking of another play but didn't Julio get hit in the face by the defender as the ball was coming. If anything it should have been pass interference. That would have been a tough play for anyone to make. I'm not willing to put that on Julio.

I think you are thinking of the later on pass in the endzone maybe. He is talking about the very first long ball where JJ let it bounce off his numbers.