Another Rant About Qb Rating

Falconsfan567

I understand how QB Rating works and how it's calculated but this is why I think it's flawed. Check out these stat lines.

Matt Ryan - 34/52 (65.4%), 345 YDS (6.6), 2 TD, 1 INT - 89.0 QB Rating

Kirk Cousins - 5/9 (55.6%), 111 YDS (12.3), 1 TD, 2 INT - 97.2 QB Rating

Ryan had a better completion percentage and better TD and INT numbers but it doesn't matter because of the YPA Cousins posted. That trumps completion percentage and TD and INT numbers. That's my main beef with QB Rating. I think YPA means a tad too much and completion percentage and TD's and INT's don't mean enough.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand how QB Rating works and how it's calculated but this is why I think it's flawed. Check out these stat lines.

Ryan had a better completion percentage and better TD and INT numbers but it doesn't matter because of the YPA Cousins posted. That trumps completion percentage and TD and INT numbers. That's my main beef with QB Rating. I think YPA means a tad too much and completion percentage and TD's and INT's don't mean enough.

Yeah but you are missing something here. Kirk Cousins had a much better TD % than Matt Ryan. So Matt did much better in INT % and and a little better in completion %, but Cousins maxed out the TD % and YPA categories.

Seems they would make a rating without ypa

That would be really dumb.

lol...when Matt is leading the league in QB rating it's the main talking point for why he should be MVP...when he's out performed in QB rating by a rookie it's flawed...ya kill me on here

and for the record, I think QB rating is flawed and you're better off just watching the games and using stats to back what you saw, rather than the other way around.

Guest Fibonacci/Mashburn

a QB who can throw at a high percentage while going down field should be rated higher than a QB who can throw at a very high percentage dumping the ball off for 6-8 yard gains...the former is harder

50 bucks says if Ryan had only 100 yards, over 100 qb rating, and LOST the game; you would be gripping more.

Edit:

I dare you you to go jump onto the cousins bandwagon.

The problem isn't so much that it over counts ypc, as that it caps how much having a 22% int rate can hurt cousins.

Are you married? You gripe a lot and are never satisfied.

50 bucks says if Ryan had only 100 yards, over 100 qb rating, and LOST the game; you would be gripping more.

are you ok? where am I griping? you asked why YPA is an important facet in QB rating and I explained it to you. why is everyone SO FRICKING SENSITIVE on this board?! laugh.png dude's really be acting like they got Daytona Beach in they ****** man

like honestly, in every other post I'm ranting and raving about Matt Ryan...how am I never satisfied? people expect you to not say NOTHING negative about ANYTHING on this team, it's crazy...I thought AFT was supposed to be the circle jerk "homer" station. this place is disgusting when people comment on any small detail that's not perfect.

Guest Fibonacci/Mashburn

are you ok? where am I griping? you asked why YPA is an important facet in QB rating and I explained it to you. why is everyone SO FRICKING SENSITIVE on this board?! laugh.png dude's really be acting like they got Daytona Beach in they ****** man

Lol I thought your were Peyton.

That guy gripes more then a room filled with women......and all if them are on their time off month.

Sorry i did not mean to say; are you a married, to you

The problem isn't so much that it over counts ypc, as that it caps how much having a 22% int rate can hurt cousins.

This is true. I don't think that's a big problem with the formula though, especially since no QB is going to have a 22% INT rate in the long haul.

Guest Fibonacci/Mashburn

It's the most logical way to measure the average amount of success a QB is having on each play. A completion for zero yards is of no value at all, so YPA is a much better measure than completion %.

So now are you on the cousins bandwagon?

I'd love to hear some ideas on how QBs should be rated if the regular QB rating is so bad. Please don't come at me with ESPN's QBR though, I think we've established that system is worthless.

So now are you on the cousins bandwagon?

What the eff is wrong with you?

I'd love to hear some ideas on how QBs should be rated if the regular QB rating is so bad. Please don't come at me with ESPN's QBR though, I think we've established that system is worthless.

What the eff is wrong with you?

I agree that the penalty for a high INT rate isn't high enough...I think a QB who turns the ball over but stretches the field should, at the least, be penalized the same as a QB who dinks and dunks and doesn't turn the ball over.

This is true. I don't think that's a big problem with the formula though, especially since no QB is going to have a 22% INT rate in the long haul.

I still don't like the formula for reasons I've mentioned before, but it is much better on a macro(multiple game) basis than a micro(one game) basis. That and it's statistical basis assumptions DESPERATELY need updating.

YPA is the one stat that can be skewed the most. Throw away the ball to prevent a sack or loss behind the line. Dropped pass by a receiver. Short field to work in a drive. Receiver inability to get open down field. Line inability to hold long enough for the long pass. Inability of the receiver to get yards after the catch.

Completion % is also skewed by some of these things - but not nearly so much.

Doesn't matter much anyway - Ryan will be the first to tell you he could give a rat's behind about the stats. All he wants is the W - and he got it.

5-0 BABY! Another first that TD, Smith, Ryan and company have brought to the Falcons.

This is the greatest era we've ever experienced. Be careful guys. If you are too busy finding fault with this team, you are going to miss the experience of a lifetime.

Enjoy!

RISE UP!

This along with the other "complete" stats is always going to be flawed. There is no perfect way to quantify a QBs impact on the field so these type of numbers will always be subject to being skewed. Besides, nobody in their right mind will tell you they would rather have Kirk Cousins over Matt Ryan so it doesn't matter.

Matt Ryan didn't play well for the parts of the game yesterday but I think a lot of it had to do with how well washington's d was playing in pass coverage. At times it only looked like TG could get open.