Running Game

vel

Does anybody else find our blocking scheme in the running game annoying? I feel sometimes we try and get too cute with all the pulls and traps instead of just straight ahead running. The play Turner put the game away, we ran straight ahead. Yes the TE came across the line to spring him, but if you look at the replay, our OLine had already gotten enough push for the first down. We need to just run ahead. Man on man, open your hole and stop being cute and trying to confuse the defense sometimes. This was with MM as well, before some of you (apologists) take this as a Koetter rant. I feel once we get Hawley and/or Konz on the field, we will be stronger up front. But until then, I think it's a necessary evil.

Also, I think Koetter is messing up the running game. No rhythm. We had 28 rushes for 3.7 yards per carry. That's pathetic. They were playing so deep to stop Roddy and Julio that we should have been able to run the ball on them but Turner only got 18 carries to Ryan's 52 attempts. That makes no sense. Give Turner some carries that allow him to just run, like the last one, instead of waiting for his blocks to set up. I think we are suffocating our own running game instead of other teams good run defense.

Does anybody else find our blocking scheme in the running game annoying? I feel sometimes we try and get too cute with all the pulls and traps instead of just straight ahead running. The play Turner put the game away, we ran straight ahead. Yes the TE came across the line to spring him, but if you look at the replay, our OLine had already gotten enough push for the first down. We need to just run ahead. Man on man, open your hole and stop being cute and trying to confuse the defense sometimes. This was with MM as well, before some of you (apologists) take this as a Koetter rant. I feel once we get Hawley and/or Konz on the field, we will be stronger up front. But until then, I think it's a necessary evil.

Also, I think Koetter is messing up the running game. No rhythm. We had 28 rushes for 3.7 yards per carry. That's pathetic. They were playing so deep to stop Roddy and Julio that we should have been able to run the ball on them but Turner only got 18 carries to Ryan's 52 attempts. That makes no sense. Give Turner some carries that allow him to just run, like the last one, instead of waiting for his blocks to set up. I think we are suffocating our own running game instead of other teams good run defense.

This is my argument about the run game too Vel. I don't know what folks is watchin but it ain't MT. I don't see the same type holes we're accustomed to seeing. But everybody wants to dump that in MT's lap. I really don't have much complaints but the quit giving the ball to Turner cries is getting annoying at 5-0. They act like we LOST the game. Lol. But i'm with u. Straight ahead smash runs when giving MT the ball. Or Quizz and snelling. Other than that I love the offense.

Koetter needs to stick with what works. like you said when we run Turner straight ahead, dude is getting 5 a clip.

It's ginna catch up to us and bite us in the arse if we don't develop a running game. Snelling needs more touches. WAY MORE TOUCHES. Turner looks like a turtle

Turner really doesn't look that bad when he is able to just make one cut and run downhill. He isn't able to stop and go or turn the corner anymore though.

It's ginna catch up to us and bite us in the arse if we don't develop a running game. Snelling needs more touches. WAY MORE TOUCHES. Turner looks like a turtle

Turner is the corner stone of our offense & deep in season we will understand his added value to this ball club...that said, we definitely need to mix up our running game with creative play calling.

I agree with both of you, I just said in another post that I felt like we forced the pass a little too much. When the defense is playing you for the deep routes, you have run right at them to bring them back up & then you can go over the top, play action & so forth. Turner is so much better when he can run downhill & not search for holes

Turner really doesn't look that bad when he is able to just make one cut and run downhill. He isn't able to stop and go or turn the corner anymore though.

Sometimes there is a hole but he gets there so slow its gone before he get there.

Edited by SkiFalcon

Is it possible that those annoying plays are calls that open up the straight ahead run game? It seems pretty likely. I think Koetter is constantly calling plays to keep the opposing front seven off kilter. Regardless something needs to be sorted out in the run game overall.

Is it possible that those annoying plays are calls that open up the straight ahead run game? It seems pretty likely. I think Koetter is constantly calling plays to keep the opposing front seven off kilter. Regardless something needs to be sorted out in the run game overall.

Well tho his carries are down MT has a 4.4 ypc average. Still good in my book.

No. There isn't a way to open up the running game besides execution. It's not like play action or running to set up the pass. Like somebody said, Turner is not a stop and go type of back, but that's what he is trying to do waiting on those pulls and traps. He is a one cut and go back. We saw that on the last run, in the Panthers game and in the Broncos game when he closed it out. Let Turner run forward. He isn't MJD.