Redskins--Puzzling Stat

falcndave

So, I've be browsing team stats. The one I find very interesting is the the Skins are not converting well at all on 3rd down. They are 13/51 on 3rd down for 25.5%. Good thing for them they only give up a 34% conversion rate on 3rd down. I would think a team with a scrambling QB would do much better than 25% on 3rd down. Pass if it is there, run if it isn't. Anyway, I found that a bit surprising.

If your wondering, we convert at 47% and give up 48%.

So, I've be browsing team stats. The one I find very interesting is the the Skins are not converting well at all on 3rd down. They are 13/51 on 3rd down for 25.5%. Good thing for them they only give up a 34% conversion rate on 3rd down. I would think a team with a scrambling QB would do much better than 25% on 3rd down. Pass if it is there, run if it isn't. Anyway, I found that a bit surprising.

That is interesting indeed. That's terrible for our defense. It needs to improve.

Gotta start forcing more 3 and outs, other than that can't really complain. So long as the defense kEeps forcing turnovers

We are never going to consistently send teams 3 and out. We rely on big plays on 1st or 2nd down to get us into solid nickle situations. Sometimes it will take us a series or two to get them in that situation. That is especially true of teams like the Redskins that consistently run well.

We are never going to consistently send teams 3 and out. We rely on big plays on 1st or 2nd down to get us into solid nickle situations. Sometimes it will take us a series or two to get them in that situation. That is especially true of teams like the Redskins that consistently run well.

I'm speaking more 1 maybe 2 in a row in a qtr with the same turnover production. That'll result in more series for the offense and in theory more points.

x-factor.gif

I'm speaking more 1 maybe 2 in a row in a qtr with the same turnover production. That'll result in more series for the offense and in theory more points.

Yep, nothing makes me happier than scoring on our opening possession and sending the opponent packing on theirs.

Too Bad BVG isn't still our D cord because he was the Falcons would have helped the Redskins improve that stat.
We're actually ranked 29th in third down defense through four games at 48%. BVG finished 29th last year at 44%. Nolan better pick it up cause 3rd down defense was #1 on Smitty's wish list comin into 2012. You want to be around 35%.

all depends on the distance. if it is long they probably have a spy on him to try to prevent the run.

I reviewed the play-by-play script of two of their games. Lots of incomplete passes in the 3-7 yard to go range. Several run stuffs on 3rd and less than 3. They tend to be in a lot of very long yardage situations in which they gain 10 plus to end up short anyway.

We're actually ranked 29th in third down defense through four games at 48%. BVG finished 29th last year at 44%. Nolan better pick it up cause 3rd down defense was #1 on Smitty's wish list comin into 2012. You want to be around 35%.

Really good bet that improves as Nolan learns his players and the players learn the new scheme.

Gotta start forcing more 3 and outs, other than that can't really complain. So long as the defense kEeps forcing turnovers

We can't consistently get 3 and outs without the ability to apply pressure with 4. It is the most obvious thing we have yet to properly address. Maybe Nolan will get us fixed next year.

We can't consistently get 3 and outs without the ability to apply pressure with 4. It is the most obvious thing we have yet to properly address. Maybe Nolan will get us fixed next year.

you don't need that to force 3 n outs. And I'm saying one a qtr no big deal coupled with continuing to take advantage of mistakes and force turnovers and you've got a superbowl recipe.