If Braves Granted Game Resumes Tomorrow Night

Tandy Gossett

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not shooting the messenger here, but i fail to see how that was a judgement call. oh well. "maybe next year" dry.png

Whether or not the ball could be handled with routine effort by the infielder. It's the only thing an umpire decides on that play, and it's all judgement.

That's why you will never see an appeal won on that play.

The call was terrible, but it was terrible judgment not terrible rule enforcement. Can't overturn it.

The most offensive part of all of this is watching Joe Torre spin this BS on the MLB network. Travesty.

If ESPN spins this drastically different than the Packers fans a week and a half ago I am officially skipping all their programming except monday night football.

Whether or not the ball could be handled with routine effort by the infielder. It's the only thing an umpire decides on that play, and it's all judgement.

That's why you will never see an appeal won on that play.

Ah, I understand. I dont like it, but im admittedly biased. Was it deemed infield fly because an infielder was going after the ball? because it certainly wasnt in the infield. Thats my question.

edit: im just confused by this mess.

Edited by Chi City Falcon

Ah, I understand. I dont like it, but im admittedly biased. Was it deemed infield fly because an infielder was going after the ball? because it certainly wasnt in the infield. Thats my question.

edit: im just confused by this mess.

Rule 2.00 (Infield Fly) Comment: On the infield fly rule the umpire is to rule whether the ball could ordinarily have been handled by an infielder - not by some arbitrary limitation such as the grass, or the base lines. The umpire must rule also that a ball is an infield fly, even if handled by an outfielder, if, in the umpire's judgment, the ball could have been as easily handled by an infielder.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/10/05/4886064/text-of-the-infield-fly-rule.html#storylink=cpy

Rule 2.00 (Infield Fly) Comment: On the infield fly rule the umpire is to rule whether the ball could ordinarily have been handled by an infielder - not by some arbitrary limitation such as the grass, or the base lines. The umpire must rule also that a ball is an infield fly, even if handled by an outfielder, if, in the umpire's judgment, the ball could have been as easily handled by an infielder.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.co...l#storylink=cpy

thank you for the clarification, i appreciate it.