Bill Simmons Of Espn On Washington/atlanta Game

fuego

Falcons (-3) over REDSKINS

Q: Right now Matt Ryan is like Stan's dad in South Park when he gets testicular cancer and his balls get so big he has to wheel them around in a wheelbarrow. Is Atlanta's defense good enough to win the big one?

—JT Sanders, Dyersburg, TN

SG: The short answer — no!!!!!!! But since when did having a mediocre defense stop NFL teams from winning the big one? Here's why I love Atlanta this Sunday: Last week's game was basically a loss. Carolina outplayed them and fell asleep in the final two minutes. So if the Falcons really ARE a Super Bowl contender (and I think they are), then that means Mike Smith spent the week playing up the "we got lucky last week, we deserved to lose, I don't want to see us play two bad games in a row, show me something this week, I thought you guys wanted to be great!!!!!!" card (and I think he did). No chance of them looking past the Skins this week. Oh, and Matty Ice's pseudo–Hail Mary from his own 1-yard line required giant, giant, giant balls. I don't know if they were on par with Stan's Dad, but they were at least on Cisco Adler's level.

(The bigger question: Through four weeks, has anyone ever had a larger MVP lead than Matt Ryan? Who's the no. 2 pick right now? In Mike Sando's always enjoyable MVP Watch this week, he listed Brady, Rodgers and Flacco as the next three guys. Brady, Rodgers and Flacco???? Are we really ready to live in a world where a Boston College grad wins the NFL's MVP?)

Of course Smitty played that card. That is why I am anxious to see our defense this week. If they still get gashed in the run game we may have a problem.

OF COURSE, I remember a team called the Colts who had a knock on them for an entire season about their total inability to stop the run and they won the SB that year... just sayin.

It doesn't take perfection.

Of course Smitty played that card. That is why I am anxious to see our defense this week. If they still get gashed in the run game we may have a problem.

OF COURSE, I remember a team called the Colts who had a knock on them for an entire season about their total inability to stop the run and they won the SB that year... just sayin.

It doesn't take perfection.

lots of hats on chest, fists on football, and swarm tackling.

Yeah I am lovin that Mattitude comment. If any thing describes Matt's improved play so far this season then that is it.

MATTITUDE!!!!!

The guy was pissed about losing that playoff game, and he plays like he is still pissed. That "GTFO our field" video at the end of the game just totally captures the inner workings of Matt Ryan's psyche this year.

Edited by FalconFanForLife

When did our defense become mediocre? =/ Sure they weren't great against the Panthers last Sunday, but I thought they were nothing short of excellent in the first few weeks and one game isn't gonna change my opinion of them. H ell, I thought our defense was the better part of our team last year and it's only gotten better with Nolan.

Edited by Da Bird is Da Word