Study: Number Of Gay Characters On Tv At All-Time High

Mr. Hoopah!

wat

The number of gay and bisexual characters on scripted broadcast network TV is at its highest-ever level in the season ahead, according to the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation. The total on cable television is also going up.

The 17th-annual "Where We Are on TV" report released Friday by GLAAD found that 4.4 percent of actors appearing regularly on prime-time network drama and comedy series during the 2012-13 season will portray lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender characters. This is up from 2.9 percent in 2011, which saw a dip in what had been a growing annual trend.

The study reviewed 97 scripted TV programs scheduled to air in the upcoming season on the broadcast networks, counting a total of 701 series regular characters. The study found that 31 of them are LGBT characters.

ABC has the highest amount with 10 out of 194, or 5.2 percent, of their regular characters identified as LGBT.

After leading last year, Fox ranks second with six LGBT characters out of 118 total series regulars, or 5.1 percent.

CBS was saluted as the most-improved network, with four out of 142 LGBT series regulars, or 2.8 percent, up from 0.7 percent last year. Among CBS's new fall series is "Partners," a comedy about two childhood friends and business partners, one of whom is gay and in a relationship. The network's lineup represents "an authentic and conscious effort by CBS to improve its diversity," the study said.

Regular gay and lesbian characters on what the study termed "mainstream" cable television has also risen this season to 35, up from 29 last season.

Among those networks, Showtime leads with 12 LGBT characters. The study also cited HBO, FX, Adult Swim, ABC Family, MTV, Syfy and TeenNick.

The HBO drama "True Blood" remains cable's most inclusive series, featuring six LGBT characters.

On broadcast TV, male LGBT characters continue to outweigh female characters, 55.5 percent to 44.5 percent, the study found.

Compared to last year, African-American representation has grown from 9.9 percent to 12 percent, while Hispanic representation has decreased from 5.6 percent to 4.1 percent.

"It is vital for networks to weave complex and diverse story lines of LGBT people in the different programs they air," said GLAAD President Herndon Graddick. "More and more Americans have come to accept their LGBT family members, friends, co-workers and peers, and as audiences tune into their favorite programs, they expect to see the same diversity of people they encounter in their daily lives."

Unless you live in San Francisco or something, the number of gay folk you see on TV is always proportionally higher then the number you see in real life from what I have seen. For example, the wife and I like to watch "Amazing Race" and pretty much every season they have 1 or 2 gay couples out of 10 or so teams. The US is not 10-20% gay so that number is disproportional for representing every day life. All part of the "agenda".

What a useless sentiment. More than 5% of the people I know are gay and I live in South Georgia.

Decline of the western civilization facilitated by whom?? Hmmmm. What is LGBT?

I suppose Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Tranny Characters

I have no issue with gay characters, the couple on Modern Family are the funniest on the show, especially the real life straight one, but I hate the whole "we have to write in x number of gay, black, white, Asian, Hispanic, etc. characters to be properly pc diverse"

Good Times would not have been as funny or "real life" if they had forced a Asian trans-sexual character in as Bookman

I suppose Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Tranny Characters

I have no issue with gay characters, the couple on Modern Family are the funniest on the show, especially the real life straight one, but I hate the whole "we have to write in x number of gay, black, white, Asian, Hispanic, etc. characters to be properly pc diverse"

Good Times would not have been as funny or "real life" if they had forced a Asian trans-sexual character in as Bookman

Yes, but Soap really clicked with the gay Jew character. And Crystal didnt come off as a flamer either. It was like Elton John in the early 70's. You suspected but didnt swell on it and it really didnt matter because the music was good. And I like Modern Family too! Loved the skeet shooting episode!

Yes, but Soap really clicked with the gay Jew character. And Crystal didnt come off as a flamer either. It was like Elton John in the early 70's. You suspected but didnt swell on it and it really didnt matter because the music was good. And I like Modern Family too! Loved the skeet shooting episode!

I agree, but again I have no issue at all with a gay character, I just don't like a gay character or any other based on ethnicity, sexuality, etc. being included simply to fill a diversity quota. If a cast makes sense being all black and straight, don't throw a white lesbian in to keep the fairness numbers in check.

I've never seen The L Word on Showtime, but the obvious seems to be it is a show about lesbian characters If there is a quirky straight neighbor who pops in from time to time, but adds nothing to the story...it would be just as idiotic, patronizing, and useless.

Unless you live in San Francisco or something, the number of gay folk you see on TV is always proportionally higher then the number you see in real life from what I have seen. For example, the wife and I like to watch "Amazing Race" and pretty much every season they have 1 or 2 gay couples out of 10 or so teams. The US is not 10-20% gay so that number is disproportional for representing every day life. All part of the "agenda".

The proportion of homosexuals I have seen in downtown San Francisco are not entirely different from rates I noticed in downtown Atlanta.

I would be willing to bet it wouldnt be too different in any other major city in America today.

Also I must throw out if there is an agenda couldnt you say the same thing about the prevalence of Black people you see on tv. I am certain they are represented higher than the 12% or so average they make up of this country. I would submit that the media has an important role in expanding representation of minority groups, as to acclimate the greater majority to their issues, and in a way decrease such prejudices.

The proportion of homosexuals I have seen in downtown San Francisco are not entirely different from rates I noticed in downtown Atlanta.

I would be willing to bet it wouldnt be too different in any other major city in America today.

Also I must throw out if there is an agenda couldnt you say the same thing about the prevalence of Black people you see on tv. I am certain they are represented higher than the 12% or so average they make up of this country. I would submit that the media has an important role in expanding representation of minority groups, as to acclimate the greater majority to their issues, and in a way decrease such prejudices.

As long as the non-Gentiles control the networks and media the Goyas will be catered to. The blacks have nothing to offer yet.

As long as the non-Gentiles control the networks and media the Goyas will be catered to. The blacks have nothing to offer yet.

I'd also like to throw out how unrepresented Hispanic and latino populations are in the media. Even in North California there are a **** of a lot more hispanics here than I see on tv that supposedly represents the even larger hispanic area known as southern california.

I'd also like to throw out how unrepresented Hispanic and latino populations are in the media. Even in North California there are a **** of a lot more hispanics here than I see on tv that supposedly represents the even larger hispanic area known as southern california.

Again these are not cash cow ethnicities on a huge scale.

Again these are not cash cow ethnicities on a huge scale.

You think they would be in the very near future.

They consitute the largest growth of young(free-spending) people in this country and in about a generation or so they will have an economic power-base strong enough to challenge the majority(which will slowly become a minority a generation after that one).

You think they would be in the very near future.

They consitute the largest growth of young(free-spending) people in this country and in about a generation or so they will have an economic power-base strong enough to challenge the majority(which will slowly become a minority a generation after that one).

A foot in the door.....

hike.jpg

What makes me wonder, is how this whole "gay" thing is being handled by the NFL. Sure, they're not really going to come right out and say that the fags don't belong in the locker room showering with the straight guys. They can't I guess. Maybe the gay guy might be bigger than them or whatever.

But think how the center feels, if he knows the Quarterback is gay. Ewwww! Dude you touch my thingies again and I'm gonna ram this ball down your throat!

If he hates it so much, why is he coming on to the QB with dirty talk?

hike.jpg

What makes me wonder, is how this whole "gay" thing is being handled by the NFL. Sure, they're not really going to come right out and say that the fags don't belong in the locker room showering with the straight guys. They can't I guess. Maybe the gay guy might be bigger than them or whatever.

But think how the center feels, if he knows the Quarterback is gay. Ewwww! Dude you touch my thingies again and I'm gonna ram this ball down your throat!

Even if the quarterback isnt a homosexual it is still a kind of suspect position from the neutral viewpoint.

I wouldnt want to have anybody come up behind me while in that position, much less another man no matter their orientation.

rolleyes.gif

Freud needs some new shoes. Those are not very slip resistent.