My First Quarter (First 4 Games) Assessment Of The Cowboys...

Rave

Offense:

Dallas' offense is 31st in points per game, 16th in yards, 5th in passing yards, and 30th in rushing yards.

Quarterback:

For the first time since he became the starter for the Cowboys Romo has more INTs than TDs. He is currently sitting at 5 TDs and 8 INTs. He has completed 101 passes of 151 attempts for a 66.9 completion percentage and 1148 yards. His play needs to be more consistent in order for us to win games.

Oline:

Dallas' oline cant open holes for the run game and Tony is having to run for his life on pass plays. Murray is averaging just 3.9 YPC. Murray has been dropped for a loss an NFL-high-tying 13 times this season, including 11 times in the last two games. He’s been tackled in the backfield on 21.3 percent of his carries, the highest percentage among backs who average at least 10 carries per game. That’s a stark contrast to last season, when Murray was dropped for a loss only 14 times on 164 carries (8.5 percent). Romo has been sacked 8 times at an average loss of 6.5 yards a sack. Romo is hit an average of 5.5 times a game. Dallas' Oline has to get better.

Receivers:

Dez Bryant and Jason Witten both have 21 catches, tied for the most on the team. This stat can be a bit deceiving though as Witten and Bryant also lead the team in drops. Miles Austin leads the team in yards with 300 and in TDs with 3. The receiving group as a whole has a lot of work to do. Drops and running the wrong routes have killed this offense so far this season.

Running Backs:

As mentioned before, Murray is only averaging 3.9 yards a carry. This has got to get better if Dallas expects to get into the playoffs. Even more concerning is his 1 TD. He had just 2 all of last year. Murray is a good RB between the 20s, but Dallas needs better production from him in the redzone, a place where the Cowboys struggle.

Defense:

Dallas' defense is 14th in points allowed per game, 4th in yards allowed, 1st in passing yards allowed, and 17th in rushing yards allowed.

Dline:

Jay Ratliff hasnt played a snap this season. He returned to practice today and hopefully he will help solidify our Dline in the coming games.

LBs:

Sean Lee is leading the league in tackles so far. Lee has also caused 1 fumble this year. DeMarcus Ware is leading the team in sacks, no surprise there, but hes also caused 3 fumbles leading the team there too. Our LBs have caused 4 fumbles so far, but our opponents have caused 5. We have to get better at causing turnovers.

DBs:

Dallas picked up Carr and Claiborne in the offseason. So far this season Id say they are pretty solid. Claiborne did get burned by Hester, but I expect things like that, hes a rookie. Carr had a hard time with Brandon Marshall as well. Dallas will miss Barry Church who was lost for the season after an injury in the 3rd quarter of the TB game. Dallas has gone from the 23rd pass defense last year, to the best pass defense in the league so far this year. Not bad, but with 0 INTs after 4 games that is a concern.

Overall:

Overall Id say that weve had a pretty good 4 games. Were 2-2, but if a few plays go different we could be 3-1 right now. We need to toughen up as a team, correct a lot of mistakes, and come out fighting after the bye.

Edited by Rave

what's going on with Murray. I expected him to explode on teams, and take some pressure off Romo

That dude's always been feast for famine going back to college. Behind such a bad offensive line he's going to have a few good games and a lot of bad ones.

Also lawls at "Were 2-2, but if a few plays go different we could be 3-1 right now."

what's going on with Murray. I expected him to explode on teams, and take some pressure off Romo

Murray has been dropped for a loss an NFL-high-tying 13 times this season, including 11 times in the last two games. He’s been tackled in the backfield on 21.3 percent of his carries, the highest percentage among backs who average at least 10 carries per game. That’s a stark contrast to last season, when Murray was dropped for a loss only 14 times on 164 carries (8.5 percent).

This oline is terrible, but Vickers isnt helping either.

Edited by Rave

Also lawls at "Were 2-2, but if a few plays go different we could be 3-1 right now."

If Felix doesnt fumble the opening kickoff and if Conner doesnt allow a punt to get blocked in the first quarter of the Seattle game I have no doubts we could have beaten them. Going down 10 points because of 2 mistakes proved too costly to come back from.

This is why I cant take you seriously. You are a troll, and the worst kind.

If Felix doesnt fumble the opening kickoff and if Conner doesnt allow a punt to get blocked in the first quarter of the Seattle game I have no doubts we could have beaten them. Going down 10 points because of 2 mistakes proved too costly to come back from.

This is why I cant take you seriously. You are a troll, and the worst kind.

Being able to come back from getting popped in the mouth is important to any good team. If they came up short after a concerted effort to get back in it, that'd be one thing, but they didn't even make Seattle work for it. If they were "a few plays away" they would have put some points on the board in the second half and at least given Seattle a reason to throw it more than 20 times they whole game.

Being able to come back from getting popped in the mouth is important to any good team. If they came up short after a concerted effort to get back in it, that'd be one thing, but they didn't even make Seattle work for it. If they were "a few plays away" they would have put some points on the board in the second half and at least given Seattle a reason to throw it more than 20 times they whole game.

Fumbling the opening kickoff and giving them the ball in the redzone to start and then giving them a go ahead TD on a blocked punt didnt help. We fumbled, they kicked a FG, KOed, we went 3 and out, and they got a TD on a blocked punt. Whos to say what would have happened if we are able to at least get a punt off on both of those drives. At least they would have been on our side of the field and would have had to earn their points.

Then in the Bears game if Dez runs the right route and Ogletree catches that pass, that is 2 less turnovers on Romo. ****, if Romo hits Dez who was open for a TD and Austin who was also open for a TD thats 14 more points and it would have been a different game.

As I said, a couple plays go different and we COULD have been 3-1. Its possible.

The Cowboys had a rough first quarter, but nothing they cant overcome. Especially if JJ will stop being stubborn and give Holland a call.

We're going to have to revisit this thread the next time the Falcons lose and everyone rushes to RC to attack anyone that dares make an excuse.

I mean, ****, you're saying Dallas might have beaten Seattle if the first five minutes of the game didn't happen, even though Seattle outscored Dallas 14-0 in the second half with minimal incentive to take any chances on offense. That's a half of football where Dallas didn't do anything on offense, that we're assuming would have gone completely different if not for a fumbled kickoff and a blocked punt in the first quarter.

That said, your excuses are awful for Cowboy fans; I'm saying they played a bad football game, you're saying they're too emotionally fragile to handle bad things happening. I guarantee a coach would rather have the former 10 times out of 10.

Edited by Serge

We're going to have to revisit this thread the next time the Falcons lose and everyone rushes to RC to attack anyone that dares make an excuse.

I mean, ****, you're saying Dallas might have beaten Seattle if the first five minutes of the game didn't happen, even though Seattle outscored Dallas 14-0 in the second half with minimal incentive to take any chances on offense. That's a half of football where Dallas didn't do anything on offense, that we're assuming would have gone completely different if not for a fumbled kickoff and a blocked punt in the first quarter.

That said, your excuses are awful for Cowboy fans; I'm saying they played a bad football game, you're saying they're too emotionally fragile to handle bad things happening. I guarantee a coach would rather have the former 10 times out of 10.

There is no teeth to this team. There is no toughness to this team. There is no will to win in this team. Ive seen it for6 years now. Were 49-35 in that time with only 1 playoff win.

As for the Seattle game. Im not making excuses. Dallas put themselves behind the 8-ball in that game and thats not where they are comfortable being. Tony is 3-12 for his career when he is asked to pass over 40 times a game. He is 0-2 this year in such games. So yes, if we change those 5 minutes that game could have been different. If we didnt have to forsake the run so early in the game I believe the outcome could have been different.

Edited by Rave