Falcons Fans May Want To Watch "95 Browns" Documentary Tomorrow

Curious viewers can get a peek at the program's trailer (complete with hideous sweater worn by noted Jon Bon Jovi confidante Belichick) on the NFL Films website. The show doesn't examine the sordid details behind owner Art Modell's decision to move the team to Baltimore. Rather, it focuses on Belichick's staff, a group that would one day become a who's who of all-star football executives and coaches. Among them are Ozzie Newsome, GM of the Baltimore Ravens; Thomas Dimitroff, GM of the Atlanta Falcons; and Nick Saban, head coach at University of Alabama.

i saw a film about the Colts Marching Band recently. They stayed together after Irsay moved their team to Indy and were a popular local phenomenon. Art Model invited them to perform at a couple of Cleveland halftimes and tthey were cheered by Browns Fans for their undying loyalty. Asked about it, Model replied, 'They were cheap.' and then took it back. The band became a national favorite and then one morning Model joined them in Baltimore. Sleazy? I don't know. No more sleazy than most hardball negotiations. Model wanted a new stadium, Cleveland said no, Art said Bye. The profit motive can be a *****.

Fans from a lot of NFL cities should watch. Los Angeles is building a stadium and has gone on record that they will be looking for an NFL team. Since the league is unlikely to expand, somebody could be moving in the next few years. I'm thinking Jacksonville is the best candidate.

Curious viewers can get a peek at the program's trailer (complete with hideous sweater worn by noted Jon Bon Jovi confidante Belichick) on the NFL Films website. The show doesn't examine the sordid details behind owner Art Modell's decision to move the team to Baltimore. Rather, it focuses on Belichick's staff, a group that would one day become a who's who of all-star football executives and coaches. Among them are Ozzie Newsome, GM of the Baltimore Ravens; Thomas Dimitroff, GM of the Atlanta Falcons; and Nick Saban, head coach at University of Alabama.

Saban was actually not their defensive coordinator in '95, but he was on Belichick's staff the first several years. Newsome was, of course the GM.

I'm not so sure about Dimitroff, though. His wikipedia page says he was a scout for the Lions from '94 - '97, and that he went to work for the Browns 2.0 in '98 when Cleveland was awarding the expansion team. EDIT: He was working for Cleveland's grounds crew in the early 1990s, which is where he first met Belicheck. So there is a connection here, even though he wasn't ever a member of the staff officially.

Also members of the Browns during the mid-90s, including 1995, were Kirk Ferentz (offensive line coach), Jim Bates (secondary coach), and Jim Schwartz (personnel scout).

Edited by virginiafalcon

I tried not reading too much into the title of this thread but it seems to me you're trying to imply that the Falcons could be a team that would make a similar move. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I could see that as a threat if the stadium deal gets sticky, but I doubt Blank would seriously consider moving.

Fans from a lot of NFL cities should watch. Los Angeles is building a stadium and has gone on record that they will be looking for an NFL team. Since the league is unlikely to expand, somebody could be moving in the next few years. I'm thinking Jacksonville is the best candidate.

San Diego.

I tried not reading too much into the title of this thread but it seems to me you're trying to imply that the Falcons could be a team that would make a similar move. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I doubt it. He's trying to get fans to watch so they have some perspective on where Dimitroff came from and where he got his knowledge.