Atlanta Has One Player Falling And Two Rising In Latest Nfc South Stock Watch

theProf

Stock Watch: NFC South

Oct 2 8:44 AM ET

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

FALLING

Tyson Clabo, right tackle, Falcons. He was the guy that was matched up with Carolina’s Charles Johnson most of the day. Even though the Falcons gave Clabo a lot of help by lining up offensive lineman Mike Johnson as a tight end, Charles Johnson still was able to beat the blocks and record 3.5 sacks. The entire offensive line had a rough time most of the day, allowing quarterback Matt Ryan to be sacked seven times. However, it should be noted that Ryan did get the time he needed to throw on the game-winning drive.

RISING

Roddy White, wide receiver, Falcons. A lot of people thought this would be the year Julio Jones would surpass White as the No. 1 wide receiver. It hasn’t worked that way. Jones has been good and has drawn a lot of coverage. But White’s been dominant and Sunday was one of the best games of his career. He had eight catches for 169 yards and two touchdowns and his late 59-yard grab was one of the best catches you’ll ever see.

Vance Walker, defensive tackle, Falcons. You don’t hear a lot about this veteran backup. But Walker plays an important role in Atlanta’s rotation and he came up big in Sunday’s victory. He had a sack, three tackles and a forced fumble.

Such a great problem to have, IF Walker is the man now then let the form dictate I am sure Jerry could use being spared some and would benefit us hugely later on in the year. I say this coz Jerry's return to form has been good and perhaps we can keep things fresher for longer!?

Walker has got to start getting more snaps, he has to be our best DT as far as production on a snap by snap basis.

DT Stats through the first 4 games of the 2012 season:

Vance Walker: 10 Tackles (8 solo, 2 assists), 2 sacks, 1 Forced Fumble

Jonathan Babineaux: 6 Tackles (6 solo, 0 assists), 2 Sacks, 0 Forced Fumble

Peria Jerry: 3 Tackles (2 solo, 1 assists), 0 Sacks, 0 Forced Fumble

Walker has the best overall stats of the Falcons DTs thus far, with far less playing time than Babs and Jerry.

Sidbury. I would also like to see Massaquoi finally placed on the active list for game-day and get some actual playing time.

Yeah, it doesn't help that Massaquoi and Matthews have both been inactive every day. I hate that you can only dress 45 of your 53 active players... the NFL really needs to change that rule.

But I agree that Sidbury needs some more snaps, especially in pass rushing situations.

Tyson Clabo needs to fall of a F'ing cliff. That guy was getting gashed last year and he picked up where he left off this year. Isn't Reynolds natural position RT? WTH we still fooling with Clabo then? This guy is last year's Baker.

He actually did okay the first three games, he just wasn't "shutdown" like we're used to. But he was terrible against the Panthers. If he looks that bad again this Sunday, we do need to consider doing something... like shifting Reynolds to RT and slotting in Konz at RG.

DT Stats through the first 4 games of the 2012 season:

Vance Walker: 10 Tackles (8 solo, 2 assists), 2 sacks, 1 Forced Fumble

Jonathan Babineaux: 6 Tackles (6 solo, 0 assists), 2 Sacks, 0 Forced Fumble

Peria Jerry: 3 Tackles (2 solo, 1 assists), 0 Sacks, 0 Forced Fumble

Walker has the best overall stats of the Falcons DTs thus far, with far less playing time than Babs and Jerry.

Wow thank for posting the stats. It's amazing Walker has done so well with so few opportunities. This sure does make a case for him getting a lot more playing time.

As for Clabo. maybe the coaching staff is trying to get a full evaluation in game situations to see how these guys perform. Baker has been a very pleasant surprise, while Clabo has been a shocker in a negative way. It's amazing that Ryan was so effective after such a beating in the game. I did read some comment (I think from Smitty), that some of the sacks were also due to receivers not breaking off routes during blitzes, But Johnson was just too effective overall, We can't let Matt get hit like that if we want to continue moving forward.

He actually did okay the first three games, he just wasn't "shutdown" like we're used to. But he was terrible against the Panthers. If he looks that bad again this Sunday, we do need to consider doing something... like shifting Reynolds to RT and slotting in Konz at RG.

Charles Johnson hasn't done jack all year and looks like a superstar playing against Clabo. He (Clabo) has problems with fast, strong DEs and we've got some coming up on the NFC East schedule. I don't know if he's injured but this started near the end of last season with him getting blown by.

Wow thank for posting the stats. It's amazing Walker has done so well with so few opportunities. This sure does make a case for him getting a lot more playing time.

Stats can be misleading at times, but insightful at other times. I personally like to look at stats to help confirm my personal observations. What I was seeing was Vance Walker playing exrtremely well whenever he finally got into the game. What I thought I also was seeing was Peria Jerry not being all that impactful as far as making plays. He would go through long stretches of not doing much of anything at all during the games. The stats for our DTs through the first 4 games very much confirmed what I was observing, but I was very surprised by the extent that Walker was outplaying Jerry statistically with far less playing time. Walker definitely deserves much more playing time at the expense of some of Jerry's playing time.

Stats can be misleading at times, but insightful at other times. I personally like to look at stats to help confirm my personal observations. What I was seeing was Vance Walker playing exrtremely well whenever he finally got into the game. What I thought I also was seeing was Peria Jerry not being all that impactful as far as making plays. He would go through long stretches of not doing much of anything at all during the games. The stats for our DTs through the first 4 games very much confirmed what I was observing, but I was very surprised by the extent that Walker was outplaying Jerry statistically with far less playing time. Walker definitely deserves much more playing time at the expense of some of Jerry's playing time.

I'm pulling for Walker and Peters to be our starters, I like Babs but he's not been that impressive.

I also want to see what Robertson can do

I'm pulling for Walker and Peters to be our starters, I like Babs but he's not been that impressive.

I also want to see what Robertson can do

I've been wondering what the defense would look like if they allowed Robertson to play some snaps. He is the biggest DT we have and he might be a rookie, but I think that his strength could set him apart from our other DT's.