Something To Understand About Our D Vs Carolina

paul n coke

All i have been seeing is how much Nolan didnt adjust to Carolina and how we didnt employ a similar gameplan as the previous three opponents. If you noticed yesterday, Akeem Dent was on the field more than usual. Why? Because the first three qbs we played, we had to attempt to confuse them and more importantly, they didnt possess the same threat Cam Newton posed. He had to be accounted for not only because he can run, but because they run a lot of one read plays (spread option, screens, run options, wildcat, etc.) The other qbs were traditional drop back passers. So essentially, there was no point in trying to "confuse" a qb that isnt reading what we are doing in the first place. On the flip side, if we could have got up on them, we would have seen more of the exotic blitzes and coverages we employed the first three games. The last two times we blitzed that game, Cam broke up the middle on the 3rd down and Carolina ran a screen that went for the go ahead score. We will see a similar gameplan against RG3 but the wildcard is us coming out and getting up on them where we are less worried about the "dual threat" and he has to read defenses and throw the ball to win. Just a few observations, good day.

We should have zero problem getting up big on Washington. Their secondary is trash. Julio is going to have a huge bounce back game. That will be our game plan. Get up big and don't let Morris get 20 + touches on the ball because that will not be good for us if he does.

Exactly. We were better in the second half our first three games because we knew our opponents had to throw the ball. When you have a coordinator that specializes in mixing coverage and sending 5-6 to get to the qb, you live for 3rd and long situations(which we didnt get them into) and having a good lead. The only real problem i saw was the run d but that is skewed because of the threat Cam Newton presented with keeping all of our players honest on the PA.

All i have been seeing is how much Nolan didnt adjust to Carolina and how we didnt employ a similar gameplan as the previous three opponents. If you noticed yesterday, Akeem Dent was on the field more than usual. Why? Because the first three qbs we played, we had to attempt to confuse them and more importantly, they didnt possess the same threat Cam Newton posed. He had to be accounted for not only because he can run, but because they run a lot of one read plays (spread option, screens, run options, wildcat, etc.) The other qbs were traditional drop back passers. So essentially, there was no point in trying to "confuse" a qb that isnt reading what we are doing in the first place. On the flip side, if we could have got up on them, we would have seen more of the exotic blitzes and coverages we employed the first three games. The last two times we blitzed that game, Cam broke up the middle on the 3rd down and Carolina ran a screen that went for the go ahead score. We will see a similar gameplan against RG3 but the wildcard is us coming out and getting up on them where we are less worried about the "dual threat" and he has to read defenses and throw the ball to win. Just a few observations, good day.

Good points.

Newton doesn't read defenses because he probably can't. He's a pure "reaction" player. They run simple spread and or run options. He did the same at Auburn.

Before he was drafted he was interviewed by John Gruden and he was totally puzzled when Gruden started talking "convential" football plays with him.

He's basically a very good sandlot player.

Are the Skins getting any kind of pass rush without Orakpo and Kerrigan ?

Not in the second half against the bucs. We have to make the Redskins have to throw to beat us and that starts with scoring early and often. RG3 does similar stuff to what Cam does (designed runs, screens, read options, etc) We have to nullify his "college gameplan" by making him have to make NFL qb plays (consistently throwing the football) to beat us and I dont know if he can 4 games into his career

We should have zero problem getting up big on Washington. Their secondary is trash. Julio is going to have a huge bounce back game. That will be our game plan. Get up big and don't let Morris get 20 + touches on the ball because that will not be good for us if he does.

Carolina's secondary was just as bad if not worse, at least that's what I heard coming into this game...

Carolina's secondary was just as bad if not worse, at least that's what I heard coming into this game...

Yeah they are definitely both bottom of the league. I thought I read Redskins were at the absolute bottom but thats irrelevant because they are both terrible. I don't anticipate their D line putting heat on Ryan like Carolina did with Johnson and Hardy.

I just watched the WAS@TB game and Kerrigan was getting good pressure. I think I saw him get at least two sacks. The problem I saw is their Oline and run game looked beastly. Morris and RG3 were gashing TB's defense.

Kerrigan had 1 sack and it was their only sack on the day. The skins gashed TB straight up the middle. Both TDs came up the middle and like 110 of their 150 yards came up the middle as well. Our strong point in run defense has came from up the middle. I'm not the least bit scared of Washingtons dead last defense.

Kerrigan had 1 sack and it was their only sack on the day. The skins gashed TB straight up the middle. Both TDs came up the middle and like 110 of their 150 yards came up the middle as well. Our strong point in run defense has came from up the middle. I'm not the least bit scared of Washingtons dead last defense.

Kerrigan has 3.5 sacks so he is getting pressure. Your statement about the strong point of our run defense being the middle is freakin comical bro. First of all their is no strong point of our run defense. We don't have a run defense. Secondly the DTs and LBs have gotten smashed up the middle by just about every team we've played.