The Matt Ryan Roll Out

killamane

First of all good win for the Birds!

Okay, can anyone with good football knowledge explain to me why we do those roll outs?

I mean every time i see them call that play Matt Ryan has someone in his face 80% of the time and he is always rushed to throw it.

If anyone can explain how it fits in with the scheme of things i appreciate it.

Sometimes they roll a QB out to get out of the pocket which makes complete since because Ryan was getting abused yesterday in the pocket. I don't have a problem with a roll out. And honestly I don't see why so many people do. Ryan needs to improve a little bit on extending plays and it would make roll outs ALOT more effective. Assuming the play is executed enough to where the LE doesn't automatically sack Ryan as he is rolling out, then its a fine play. He is out in the open and is not just a standing target to get hit. And it is extremely rare for a QB to not throw the ball away before going out of bounds. You won't see that very often. It reminded me of the Orlovsky play a few years ago when he was running around in the back of his own endzone for a safety.

Edited by Clark Kent

I've come to terms that it's a Falcons staple. besides cutting off the field, all the targets just huddle around the sideline completely covered most of the time. my main concern with Ryan is in year 5 he still has a tendency to get locked in on a receiver. but looks like the roll-out ain't going anywhere

Lol i think that play has about 10% success rate...not sure why they keep doing it. I was screaming at my tv when we ran it on an important 3rd down.

Coaches plz if you are going to do it atleast do it on a first down or something not when we need a sure thing play.

Edited by Scorpion

“I think that it is real important that the quarterback and the play-caller are on the same page and can communicate,” Koetter said. “I think that’s one of Matt’s best traits. He’s a great communicator, and he can tell me what he likes and doesn’t like and why. Yet he’s still open to coaching.”

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2012/09/06/atlanta-falcons-ryan-koetter-form-football-bond/?cp=2

screens play action and roll outs are a good way to slow a pass rush it make the DE's look for the ball instead of just rushing. play action can be dangerous because the QB turns his back to the rush if the DE doesn't bite inside the QB can get drilled, but when it works it's a thing of beauty, same for a roll out. if the QB rolls out right into a LB or DB play is busted.

It was ******** in the Mularkey era, and it's shown no signs of improvement. Along with the bootleg into an unblocked DE, I just don't get the thought process that goes into saying "Yeah...sounds like a great idea". The only players I've seen make it work somewhat consistent are Peyton and Rodgers, and Manning is usually rolling to the opposite side.