Need Some Help From My Fellow Fans Who Can Actually Draw

Tandy

Ok, I have an idea for a poster to take to the game this weekend, but I'm no artist.

I have been trying and trying to draw a big Fig Newton with a superman cape. I've been practicing on regular paper - regular size so that when I get it down - I can draw it on this huge poster.

I want the fig newton in the cape - then the scoreboard from the NYG game with the score - and a big Fail on the poster.

My problem is that I can't seem to get the drawing to look like a fig newton - it looks more like a trash can.

I don't want anyone to actually draw it for me - but maybe give me some pointers on how to make it look more like a fig newton.

Here is a picture of my attempts at making it look like a fig newton - any pointers would be very, very helpful - I really want the illusion of a newton - not a trash can - regardless of what anyone may think of Cam. (lol). I don't know if it's my scale, angles, curves, shading or whatever - but I really need some pointers on this.

Oh, I took the picture with my phone - and it's pretty shaded looking and a pencil drawing - so ignore the darkness - it'll be on white paper and drawn in marker once I get it right.

Thanks guys - any help is appreciated.

failman2.jpg

Heya Tandy... couple of suggestions...

1- Your shape is wrong. Google a picture of a fig newton and you'll notice the profile shape to be more of a trapezoid... laying flat, it is wider on the bottome than the top. That will help it from looking like a trashcan (oval).

2- The fig jelly inside should suggest a texture and not be a bunch of tiny circles... try cloud-like bumps of varying size, connected from 2-5 humps at a time, randomly spaced in the jelly

3- Break up the line that is delineating the inside edge of the cookie/crust. Keep the line implied by just erasing out parts here and there... keep the line more around the curves/edges, less in the middle of the cookie.

4- Color will also help

5- If you could swing it, and if I had the time I'd help... but putting a bit of bend in it, where it would look like the newton is sticking it's chest out would rock and change up the pose to get it away from looking like a trash can.

Great idea, good luck on getting it completed... I'll be looking for it this Sunday while I watch on the Ticket from here in Virginia :)

Heya Tandy... couple of suggestions...

1- Your shape is wrong. Google a picture of a fig newton and you'll notice the profile shape to be more of a trapezoid... laying flat, it is wider on the bottome than the top. That will help it from looking like a trashcan (oval).

2- The fig jelly inside should suggest a texture and not be a bunch of tiny circles... try cloud-like bumps of varying size, connected from 2-5 humps at a time, randomly spaced in the jelly

3- Break up the line that is delineating the inside edge of the cookie/crust. Keep the line implied by just erasing out parts here and there... keep the line more around the curves/edges, less in the middle of the cookie.

4- Color will also help

5- If you could swing it, and if I had the time I'd help... but putting a bit of bend in it, where it would look like the newton is sticking it's chest out would rock and change up the pose to get it away from looking like a trash can.

Great idea, good luck on getting it completed... I'll be looking for it this Sunday while I watch on the Ticket from here in Virginia smile.png

Wow, I really value your suggestions - you are so talented and I admire your work - so this means a lot to me.

I'm going to print your suggestions and follow them. I'll post up what I come up with.

A fig newton is kinda flat not round. That's what's throwing you off. You have to line out the top of your drawing. Color will give it a huge boost. Id also add some arms on the side

Thanks. I'm planning to add the arms, eyes, mask and cape after I get the fig newton right.

http://m.facebook.com/bilal.bennett?id=889460260&_rdr#!/bilal.bennett?v=photos&__user=889460260

Thanks. I'm planning to add the arms, eyes, mask and cape after I get the fig newton right.

No problem. I can help you around 2:30 3 if you still need it. Im not an actual artist but I can draw a little. This is the last thing I've worked on. Im working on a Julio cartoon for a friend now Edited by B_Lo_Touchdowns

You could simply do a few pattern transfers onto posterboard and go from there. I do a lot of engraving as a hobby. If you have access to an electro-static(black and white) copy machine, you can photocopy a pack of fig newtons, reversed.

Place the copy face-down on the posterboard and wipe the back with a rag soaked in acetone. The pattern will transfer to the posterboard.

Get some crayons, draw a cape, and add your text.

Edited by Carl927

Ok, I have an idea for a poster to take to the game this weekend, but I'm no artist.

I have been trying and trying to draw a big Fig Newton with a superman cape. I've been practicing on regular paper - regular size so that when I get it down - I can draw it on this huge poster.

I want the fig newton in the cape - then the scoreboard from the NYG game with the score - and a big Fail on the poster.

My problem is that I can't seem to get the drawing to look like a fig newton - it looks more like a trash can.

I don't want anyone to actually draw it for me - but maybe give me some pointers on how to make it look more like a fig newton.

Here is a picture of my attempts at making it look like a fig newton - any pointers would be very, very helpful - I really want the illusion of a newton - not a trash can - regardless of what anyone may think of Cam. (lol). I don't know if it's my scale, angles, curves, shading or whatever - but I really need some pointers on this.

Oh, I took the picture with my phone - and it's pretty shaded looking and a pencil drawing - so ignore the darkness - it'll be on white paper and drawn in marker once I get it right.

Thanks guys - any help is appreciated.

figgy2.jpg

I think it'll be hard to recognize either way, but if you draw the bottom of the fig newton flat and the top of it curved, that might help. I don't eat them anymore but I'm pretty sure that's what they look like.