Ron Rivera Sees Weakness In Our Secondary

OC

From the Panthers' version of the Falcoholic.

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2012/9/26/3411766/coach-rivera-sees-a-potential-weakness-in-the-falcons

Coach Rivera sees a potential weakness in the Falcons

By Son of a Newton ON SEP 26, 12:38P

In an interview with Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan on Sirius XM NFL Radio yesterday, Ron Rivera talked about the Panthers upcoming matchup with theAtlanta Falcons this Sunday. Coach acknowledged the prowess Matt Ryan and the Offense have enjoyed over their opponents, while similarly lauding the accolades of Atlanta's Defense.

Having played a Thursday Night game last week, Rivera had Sunday off, and spent it, much like us fans, watching the games, one of which was the Falcons vs. Chargers.

When speaking on what he saw, Coach noted that a lot of Atlanta's success on defense has come from their playmaking safeties: Thomas DeCoud andWilliam Moore. However, Rivera also registered that there is a weakness to be found in the Atlanta Secondary.

Oftentimes, the Atlanta Safeties can be drawn in on run plays, and play action, opening up vertical passing and single coverage on the outside. If you can draw one or both of the safeties in just 1-2 steps, it could give a significant advantage to a wide receiver running a go route.

Carolina's game plan is likely already hammered out; on Sunday, I'd expect to see OC Rob Chudzinski establish the run early on, peppering in play action, and of course some deep shots to Steve Smith, Louis Murphy, and the bunch.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't think people realize that the run is the Achilles heel of the defense but what I love is DeCoud playing rover and makes the play in the pass game. If the Falcons stick to the same game plan which is score early they will have the Panthers on their heels playing the Falcons game and will have to pass thereby smacking Superman with a full assault of Kryptonite. His therapist should be seeing dollar signs after Sunday.

I still don't think people realize that the run is the Achilles heel of the defense but what I love is DeCoud playing rover and makes the play in the pass game. If the Falcons stick to the same game plan which is score early they will have the Panthers on their heels playing the Falcons game and will have to pass thereby smacking Superman with a full assault of Kryptonite. His therapist should be seeing dollar signs after Sunday.

Yea this is true.

I know it's been a sore spot for us statistically, but I don't think it's that bad. In week 2, it got us because we were playing nickel anticipating Peyton to throw it, which makes sense. Last week, we gave up 116 yards rushing, but that's with one run that picked up 52. I'm not saying it can't and won't get better. I just don't think the sky is falling yet.

I agree with you 100%....but nobody is running the ball anymore....so it's the best weak spot to have.

I actually think the weakness of this secondary is mobile QBs, so I've been interested to see how they match up against Cam. The secondary has been able to have a short clock in their heads, and that has helped (the pass rush has largely enabled).

When confronted with QBs who can buy an extra 2 seconds, I'm curious to see how the D holds up, as these secondary players have historically been very susceptible to the double move.

I hope we put up 42 points so it just doesn't make a big difference.

I actually think the weakness of this secondary is mobile QBs, so I've been interested to see how they match up against Cam. The secondary has been able to have a short clock in their heads, and that has helped (the pass rush has largely enabled).

When confronted with QBs who can buy an extra 2 seconds, I'm curious to see how the D holds up, as these secondary players have historically been very susceptible to the double move.

I like the fact that we've got Cam and RGIII in back-to-back games so the defensive game plan should be very similar for both games.

That too. We've been putting up so many points that teams have to play catch up, which will probably happen & thereby make play action ineffective.