I Like To Think There's A Big "s" On My Chest...

Northern_Falcon

0ap1000000066384.jpg

http://www.nfl.com/n..._content_stream

Despite producing perhaps the greatest season in NFL history for a rookie quarterback, it sure looks like the honeymoon phase of Carolina Panthers QB Cam Newton's career in Carolina is over.

The Charlotte Observer pokes fun at Carolina Panthers QB Cam Newton. (Kevin Siers/The Charlotte Observer)

The Charlotte Observer ran a cartoon in their paper on Wednesday in which Newton is seen striking his "Superman" pose to reveal a T-shirt underneath ... with a "Hello Kitty" logo. Newton's thought bubble reads: "I like to pretend there's a big 'S' on my chest."

This comes on the heels of Newton sulking on the Panthers bench to end last week's game, but this cartoon seems as out of touch as the existence of newspaper cartoons in general.

Would we see an Indianapolis paper take on Peyton Manning in his second year or even a New York paper take on Eli Manning like this? Did the St. Louis Post-Dispatch mock Sam Bradford last year? All of those No. 1 picks did less than Newton as rookies.

Newton's rookie season is the one that all rookies are now be measured by. Just three games into an up-and-down year, it's clear the locals expect a lot more out of him in 2012.

Edited by Northern_Falcon

0ap1000000066384.jpg

Despite producing perhaps the greatest season in NFL history for a rookie quarterback, it sure looks like the honeymoon phase of Carolina Panthers QB Cam Newton's career in Carolina is over.

The Charlotte Observer pokes fun at Carolina Panthers QB Cam Newton. (Kevin Siers/The Charlotte Observer)

The Charlotte Observer ran a cartoon in their paper on Wednesday in which Newton is seen striking his "Superman" pose to reveal a T-shirt underneath ... with a "Hello Kitty" logo. Newton's thought bubble reads: "I like to pretend there's a big 'S' on my chest."

This comes on the heels of Newton sulking on the Panthers bench to end last week's game, but this cartoon seems as out of touch as the existence of newspaper cartoons in general.

Would we see an Indianapolis paper take on Peyton Manning in his second year or even a New York paper take on Eli Manning like this? Did the St. Louis Post-Dispatch mock Sam Bradford last year? All of those No. 1 picks did less than Newton as rookies.

Newton's rookie season is the one that all rookies are now be measured by. Just three games into an up-and-down year, it's clear the locals expect a lot more out of him in 2012.

I love the way they compare cam to other 2nd year QB's who never said they aspire to being a Diva, never thought they were bigger than their teams, never put themselves ahead of their team, never flash the superman, me me me garbage, never handle losing poorly, never pout, etc. etc. etc. yet it's now somehow unfair to show him wearing a kitty t-shirt after he brought all this mess on himself and his team because he hasn't learned to be humble. I am sure that Giants game did him no good after he performed like a puzzy cat and then struck the SM pose while they were losing by at least 3 scores... Did i miss something here? Or is this an extension of the victimhood syndrome that is so popular today...

I don't think it would be right for a local paper to be critical on an inexperienced QB, especially one who had the kind of season, and showed the potential that Newton did last year.

BUT it was his arrogant and nonsensical actions of the last game that deserve criticism - when you're getting thrashed, you don't pretend to be superman when you score a consolation, and then sulk like a baby for the rest of the game.

0ap1000000066384.jpg

You know I'd rather measure rookie QBs by their W-L record, but hey that's just me.

We'll see if Cam has enough sense to listen to guys like Stve Smith that are trying to tell him how to be a man and a leader - or if he's another head case that cannot handle adversity like VY and Leaf.

I love the way they compare cam to other 2nd year QB's who never said they aspire to being a Diva, never thought they were bigger than their teams, never put themselves ahead of their team, never flash the superman, me me me garbage, never handle losing poorly, never pout, etc. etc. etc. yet it's now somehow unfair to show him wearing a kitty t-shirt after he brought all this mess on himself and his team because he hasn't learned to be humble. I am sure that Giants game did him no good after he performed like a puzzy cat and then struck the SM pose while they were losing by at least 3 scores... Did i miss something here? Or is this an extension of the victimhood syndrome that is so popular today...

I agree, very poor QBs to compare him to, those were team guys that caused no resentment with me first displays.

Some QBs would see this and use it an inspiration to go out there and dominate to prove all their naysayers wrong. Cam will probably see this and just pout some more.

Oh, and you gotta love Rosenthal continuing to defend him no matter what. Go check what the "experts" voted this week in the power rankings. 10 out of 13 voted us #2, whereas Rosenthal voted us #5. He was joined by Heath Evans and Darren Sharper (voted #4), despite all three agreeing that the Texans were #1. I'm really starting to get tired of his "analysis".

http://fanrankings.nfl.com/results/experts

Some QBs would see this and use it an inspiration to go out there and dominate to prove all their naysayers wrong. Cam will probably see this and just pout some more.

Oh, and you gotta love Rosenthal continuing to defend him no matter what. Go check what the "experts" voted this week in the power rankings. 10 out of 13 voted us #2, whereas Rosenthal voted us #5. He was joined by Heath Evans and Darren Sharper (voted #4), despite all three agreeing that the Texans were #1. I'm really starting to get tired of his "analysis".

http://fanrankings.n...results/experts

it doesnt matter where they rank us as long as we keep it going. i like it better when we are under the radar anyway.