Im Sick Of The Nfl And The Media

footballislyfe

I just want football. Its like a soap opera. Will tebow wear a shirt today, will the refs comeback, peyton can now throw the ball 47 mph, joe mays illegal hit, bounty gate, john fox fined, packers got cheated, ect....... Wtf

can we please talk about football. Can u give me a 5 min segment on the cardinals? Can i see my birds? Can you stop raising ticket prices and stop changing the rules. Football was the perfect sport. Why in the **** u trying to mess with it. Its like drama, drama, drama. Could u also get idiots like warren sapp off the nfl network. Also sapp, just because you try to talk over everybody when you're making a point doesnt make u right. The nfl network is a joke and anything espn talk about is a joke. I just want football.

I also see a lot of stadiums with empty seats, nfl want to brings in more fans by scoring more points. Do you see the soccer ppl saying lets make the goal twice as big so we can score more points? I like balance, not this one sided thing the nfl is trying to make. Its like you're inflating the touchdown. Its not worth as much as it use to be. I scored a td........ So did everybody else... So what. Just pissed in general with the nfl. How much money do you guys have to make? They need to put a cap on the league. A fans union

Late night rant

you just literally read my mind. they value the fairweather fan more than the actual diehard football fan. i miss the nfl the way it used to be. this is one thing i love about the mlb. they have steroid scandals left and right, barely any national interest left in the sport, and ratings that cant sniff the nfl's jock. yet, the mlb never even considers changing the game. they wouldnt do that to old faithful fans. they wont ruin the game for their true fans. ****,the mlb wont even bend to the use of replay because they fear it could ruin the tradition of the game. you have to respect bud selig for that. he keeps the integrity in baseball. screw, goodell. he is the man who ruined the nfl.

Also, while im at it. You ruined the records book in only 5 years. Destroyed it. Sorry Joe, Steve, Warren, Dan, Troy, and the rest of the qbs. 3500 is not a good season no more.

I don't understand how the NFL is at fault for the greater offenses we've seen over the past decade. The rules in place now are the same rules that were place in the 80s and 90s. The only rule changes have been the hits on the QBs and defenseless receivers. I hear people talk about defenders not being able to touch receivers anymore past 5 yards. Hello? Illegal contact was a rule that has been in place for decades. It's not a new rule that just appeared 5 or 6 years ago. The difference is QB's are better and coaches are smarter and teams are passing more today than ever before.

Here's a piece talking about illegal contact in 2004.

The same can be said about tougher enforcement of illegal contact by defensive backs. In many ways, it's the most significant rule adjustment in about a decade but the weird part is the rule hasn't actually changed. Now it's just going to be enforced to the letter of the law.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1840261

I agree that they killed the ref thing today,couldn't even get any insight into our win Sunday,but I think the success of pass happy teams like NE,GB, the Saints & Colts of a few years ago is what has changed the philosophy of offenses, & looking at the success we are having I can't be mad at em, if you have a QB that can put up 5000 yrds, why wouldn't you do so?

I agree that they killed the ref thing today,couldn't even get any insight into our win Sunday,but I think the success of pass happy teams like NE,GB, the Saints & Colts of a few years ago is what has changed the philosophy of offenses, & looking at the success we are having I can't be mad at em, if you have a QB that can put up 5000 yrds, why wouldn't you do so?

Agreed!

I just want football. Its like a soap opera. Will tebow wear a shirt today, will the refs comeback, peyton can now throw the ball 47 mph, joe mays illegal hit, bounty gate, john fox fined, packers got cheated, ect....... Wtf

can we please talk about football. Can u give me a 5 min segment on the cardinals? Can i see my birds? Can you stop raising ticket prices and stop changing the rules. Football was the perfect sport. Why in the **** u trying to mess with it. Its like drama, drama, drama. Could u also get idiots like warren sapp off the nfl network. Also sapp, just because you try to talk over everybody when you're making a point doesnt make u right. The nfl network is a joke and anything espn talk about is a joke. I just want football.

I also see a lot of stadiums with empty seats, nfl want to brings in more fans by scoring more points. Do you see the soccer ppl saying lets make the goal twice as big so we can score more points? I like balance, not this one sided thing the nfl is trying to make. Its like you're inflating the touchdown. Its not worth as much as it use to be. I scored a td........ So did everybody else... So what. Just pissed in general with the nfl. How much money do you guys have to make? They need to put a cap on the league. A fans union

Late night rant

Great post.

i mostly agree... although i do enjoy rich eisen and the Gameday crew... they say stupid stuff occasionally (Sapp in particular), but they have a sense of humour and it's fun to watch.

I enjoy the NFL Gameday crew as well except for Sapp. I also get a laugh out of seeing Irvin going into his coke rages when talking about how he thinks the Cowboys will be a top team each season.

The media in general is the #1 problem in america. Our society is being dummied down to levels that are downright scary. There are many folks that are just plain too stupid to understand what is important anymore. For 36 hours straight, we had to endure an onslaught of media birdbrains examining and rehashing what was clearly evident to everyone. An interception was called an offensive touchdown reception. Simple and clear as a bell. Yet we had to hear the takes of 200 experts while everything else in sports disappeared. I wont even get into politics where TV news gets away with pure, unadulterated propaganda by refusing to give equal value to both sides of the political process. This is absolutely hurting our country and in no way can it be considered truthful journalism. Journalism is dead. I am ashamed of where we are headed in this country. Our liberty and freedoms are being romoved and everyone sits around smiling. Rant over.

The media in general is the #1 problem in america. Our society is being dummied down to levels that are downright scary. There are many folks that are just plain too stupid to understand what is important anymore. For 36 hours straight, we had to endure an onslaught of media birdbrains examining and rehashing what was clearly evident to everyone. An interception was called an offensive touchdown reception. Simple and clear as a bell. Yet we had to hear the takes of 200 experts while everything else in sports disappeared. I wont even get into politics where TV news gets away with pure, unadulterated propaganda by refusing to give equal value to both sides of the political process. This is absolutely hurting our country and in no way can it be considered truthful journalism. Journalism is dead. I am ashamed of where we are headed in this country. Our liberty and freedoms are being romoved and everyone sits around smiling. Rant over.

I couldn't agree more.

I couldn't agree more.

I'm sorry for going political. But we are in a crisis in this country. I'm scared for my children frankly. And in sports media it's turning into people magazine. Good for sports...nope! I say we just replace the nfl guru's with madonna. As sad as that sounds, I bet ratings wouldn't suffer. There would be many who stopped watching but the void would be filled with braindead folks who thrive on bilge like this...

you just literally read my mind. they value the fairweather fan more than the actual diehard football fan. i miss the nfl the way it used to be. this is one thing i love about the mlb. they have steroid scandals left and right, barely any national interest left in the sport, and ratings that cant sniff the nfl's jock. yet, the mlb never even considers changing the game. they wouldnt do that to old faithful fans. they wont ruin the game for their true fans. ****,the mlb wont even bend to the use of replay because they fear it could ruin the tradition of the game. you have to respect bud selig for that. he keeps the integrity in baseball. screw, goodell. he is the man who ruined the nfl.

Ummmm you do realize that MLB has changed its playoff rules this year right?

Also its easy to limit the changes to your game when it doesnt involve people becoming seriously injured and traumatized for life. You ant compare a contact sport like football or even basketball to something like baseball.

You missed the old NFL where you could horse collar players and break their legs at will? You miss being able to launch head first into players and give them concussions whenever you want? You miss defenders being able to hold receivers all the way down the field? You miss the flying V wedges on kickoffs that was basically an injury waiting to happen every game? You miss wearing metal plates in your pads and giving players head slaps? Come on man, you have to admit that some of the rules changes were needed.

Also MLB is looking to expand instant replay, its the umps who are fighting it.

Edited by the_sheff

AMEN!

Also its easy to limit the changes to your game when it doesnt involve people becoming seriously injured and traumatized for life. You ant compare a contact sport like football or even basketball to something like baseball.

You missed the old NFL where you could horse collar players and break their legs at will? You miss being able to launch head first into players and give them concussions whenever you want? You miss defenders being able to hold receivers all the way down the field? You miss the flying V wedges on kickoffs that was basically an injury waiting to happen every game? You miss wearing metal plates in your pads and giving players head slaps? Come on man, you have to admit that some of the rules changes were needed.

Are you serious? That doesn't happen in baseball? I'm guessing you've never watched a baseball game. Hitters are hit in the head and shoulders by 100 mph fastballs all the time. Pitchers are hit with screaming liners all the time. About a month ago a pitcher was hit in the head and had to be taken to the hospital and have surgery to relief pressure on his brain or he would have died. There have been in the history of baseball guys dying right on the field from getting hit by the ball. It takes ******* guts of steel to stand in the batter's box and have a guy throwing 100 mph fastballs at you or to stand on the mound and have a liner coming back at you at 120 mph knowing you're time to react is 4.0 seconds or less.

AMEN!

Are you serious? That doesn't happen in baseball? I'm guessing you've never watched a baseball game. Hitters are hit in the head and shoulders by 100 mph fastballs all the time. Pitchers are hit with screaming liners all the time. About a month ago a pitcher was hit in the head and had to be taken to the hospital and have surgery to relief pressure on his brain or he would have died. There have been in the history of baseball guys dying right on the field from getting hit by the ball. It takes ******* guts of steel to stand in the batter's box and have a guy throwing 100 mph fastballs at you or to stand on the mound and have a liner coming back at you at 120 mph knowing you're time to react is 4.0 seconds or less.

Are you seriously comparing getting hit in the head with a baseball (something that is rare), to something that can happen every single play in every NFL game?

Edited by the_sheff

You're the one that serious injuries doesn't happen in baseball. Just pointing out that it does happen and does happen more than you think.

Im not saying serious injuries dont happen, im saying they dont happen frequently enough to justify changing the way the game is played. There are numerous opportunities to horse collar a player and break his legs in every single NFL game. You can launch your head into a player and seriously injure him on **** near every passing play. The risk of concussion and serious injury during an NFL game is much higher than during a baseball game.

There is a huge difference here. The very nature of the sports are different.

Edited by the_sheff

Also MLB is looking to expand instant replay, its the umps who are fighting it.

Im talking about changes regarding gameplay. obviously there have been changes to playoff formatting, etc. but the actual gameplay doesnt get effected. and its not just umps fighting replay, but thats besides the point.

to answer your question, yes, I would much rather watch the old NFL compared to the nfl we are turning into. its gonna be basketball on grass in a few years. DB's are basically helpless out there, receivers can go over the middle like never before, and every other play is a flag on the defense.

let me ask you this, if roger goodell and the nfl really gave **** about player safety, would runningbacks still be allowed to lower their heads and plow LB's? or how about O-Linemen cut blocking and taking out defenders knees? the answer is no. roger goodell doesnt care about player safety, he only cares about money. you can see that right now with this whole replacement ref situation.

and to be honest, horsecollar tackles dont break legs at will. there are flags thrown for them every sunday and yet I dont see all these guys getting carted off the field. that rule was because of TO. As far as concussions, tackling is a lost art in the NFL and the problem is players lacking fundemental tackling skills. receivers were never held all the way down the field either. defensive pass interference is becoming a joke. if you deny that you arent even watching the games. As far as flying wedges, they wont matter anyway because goodell is trying to take kickoffs out of the game altogether. and metal plates are bad. Ill give you that one. lol

Edited by HANDCOCK

Im not saying serious injuries dont happen, im saying they dont happen frequently enough to justify changing the way the game is played. There are numerous opportunities to horse collar a player and break his legs in every single NFL game. You can launch your head into a player and seriously injure him on **** near every passing play. The risk of concussion and serious injury during an NFL game is much higher than during a baseball game.

There is a huge difference here. The very nature of the sports are different.

I'll give you those other injuries but while the risks for concussions are higher in football, but in the past few years concussions in baseball have sky rocketed. It's amazing how many players are out there in MLB right now battling concussion problems from running into outfield walls, running into other players on the bases, catchers getting smoked at the plate, ect.