Anyone Remember The 1998 Pats Game?

Old fan

I ask because that was the game that made me realize we had something special that year. For me, this season's Denver and San Diago games were reminiscent of that 1998 Pats game.

I know it's still early, and the season has its ebbs and flows, but I see the same scrapping, dogged determination that our 1998 team had.

Am I just being an old homer, or does anyone else draw the same comparison?

I ask because that was the game that made me realize we had something special that year. For me, this season's Denver and San Diago games were reminiscent of that 1998 Pats game.

I know it's still early, and the season has its ebbs and flows, but I see the same scrapping, dogged determination that our 1998 team had.

Maybe.

But we kind of felt the same way in 09 when we rolled San Francisco, and in 2010 when we beat GB and Baltimore.

So...we are just going to have to wait a while to find out for sure if this year is different.

Yeah I am pretty sure that is the game he was talking about.

I thought as much but I'm trying to stay even keeled and just go week to week but I see a few of these statement games ahead but if we can go on the road and knockover the E-Girls and payback the Giants then I'm off to the travel agents and will have flights booked for a certain game in late Jan early Feb.

In 98 we had just come off a losing season, so a good start was a big deal because it was so rare. It still is good to start strong, and 2004 was another good start which took us into the playoffs.

In 98 the Pats were sorry, and that division wasn't very good. I don't think the AFC west will be good either, so that might be comparable. Our 3-0 start translates to about a 75% likelihood of getting in the playoffs. A look at our division, kind of confirms that.

There might be some similarities, I don't think they say anything about what will happen in the post season at this point.

In 98 we had just come off a losing season, so a good start was a big deal because it was so rare. It still is good to start strong, and 2004 was another good start which took us into the playoffs.

In 98 the Pats were sorry, and that division wasn't very good. I don't think the AFC west will be good either, so that might be comparable. Our 3-0 start translates to about a 75% likelihood of getting in the playoffs. A look at our division, kind of confirms that.

There might be some similarities, I don't think they say anything about what will happen in the post season at this point.

Well the Patriots were 6-3 when the Falcons rolled them, and that division sent 4 teams to the playoffs, so I don't know how bad the division could have been.

It was big deal when the Falcons rolled the Pats like that.

Well the Patriots were 6-3 when the Falcons rolled them, and that division sent 4 teams to the playoffs, so I don't know how bad the division could have been.

It was big deal when the Falcons rolled the Pats like that.

Actually the AFC east was very good that year. I was wrong in a big way - memory turning to swiss cheese ph34r.png . Only Indy had a losing record. Pat's finished 9-7 meh and were 5-3 when they played Atlanta. I just know that was before their glory days, when they were an average to sucky team..

Still I don't think much of the AFC west

How can anyone forget that game? 41-10 thrashing and it's when we got our swagger. O.J. Santiago invented and coined the term "The Dirty Bird".

Good times, here's hoping we end up in the Super Bowl again, but come home more than the NFC Champs. It's time to take it all.

Edited by JOKER2

You know I went to every home game that year and several away games, but I kept waiting for the ball to drop all year. Years of training I guess. Even the playoff games, I went in scared and really sat there petrified most of the game, thinking we would be going home anytime, including in Minnesota.

When it was over and I looked back at it, I regretted so much that I hadn't lived in the moment and cherished it. Regardless of how it ended.

That year changed the way I enjoy Falcons games and every year since then, I go into the games with high expectations and feel every moment.

It doesn't always end well, but I don't care. I won't miss another chance like I had that year. When our year comes, maybe this one or maybe another - I'm going to feel every moment.

I was at this game. It was old Foxboro Stadium (the very definition of a dump). The Falcons led 28-3 at the half and the Pat Fans left en masse.

OJ Santiago introduced the world to the Dirty Bird and the Pats faithful wanted Drew Bledsoe and Pete Carroll's heads on a platter.

The thing that caught my attention in '98 was when we beat the 49ers after the Pats game. The 49ers owned us & I'm still ticked they moved us out of the NFCW when the Falcons started becoming better & the 49ers started going downhill. I wanted payback for all those seasons of watching Dimry being burned by Rice. Atlanta, back then, would upset a good team every once in a while, but would almost never win a game that really meant something. They had lost @ SF in like the second game of the season & then won several in a row, including the Pats game, but I remember taking that Sunday off work to watch that game to see if they could beat their nemesis, & when they did, I knew we had something special. The older Falcon fans know what I am talking about..the domination SF had over ATL.

Maybe.

But we kind of felt the same way in 09 when we rolled San Francisco, and in 2010 when we beat GB and Baltimore.

So...we are just going to have to wait a while to find out for sure if this year is different.

2010 the way we were winning, last second victories,beating the Saints in OT after they missed a gimme FG, that season reminded me of 98' more than this one. In both 98' & 2010 we beat teams we were not "supposed" to beat until... well you know, but I feel like this year if we just be the team that we are, there isn't any team that i fear

there was so many staple wins that yr

we lost 2 times in the reg season

to the Niners

and week 10 I think it was to the Jets

I think our biggest wins that yr were

Niners @ Home twice , once in the Playoffs smile.png

Bears

and @ Det

Didnt Steve DeBerg play the game against the Jets? I know we got crushed in that game. I was thrilled Denver beat them in the AFCCG that year.