Do We Want The Old Refs Back?

Guest fibonacci

Guest Fibonacci/Mashburn

OK so last night a possible bad call was made. a few times, calls have been made on pass interference. once a call was made to move the ball 10 yards, when it should have been moved 5 yards.

this is something that took place around this time last year......it is worse then last night.

Last night one ref says TD, and the other waves it off about to say interception.....but people made a big deal about two refs making different calls and say they should have talked about. Well the ref who gave the TD did say something very brief and then it went into the books as a TD. and I bet it was something along the lines of "when there is possible position of the ball on both sides....then it goes to the offense". the key word is possible....so many announcers, writers, green bay fans FAIL to look at what this rule is.

these refs are getting killed by coaches, players, fans who lost....and what people are killing them on is tough calls. they are not making up anymore bogus then the old refs did. I have not really seen the refs make a big mistake that really cost the team.

What I do see is teams not being protected just cause they won the SB or have an elite QB.

NOTE: brees needs to shut up. he says "I love this league and love the game of football, but tonight’s debacle hurts me greatly. This is NOT the league we’re supposed to represent"......ummmm also the league we are in is where you do not intentional hurt players and pay them extra money to do their job and pay guys for carting off a player.

this is brees last twitter comment, "Ironic that our league punishes those based on conduct detrimental. Whose CONDUCT is DETRIMENTAL now?"......maybe he needs to look at this video and the other hundred videos of the old refs making worse calls then last nights.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK so last night a possible bad call was made. a few times, calls have been made on pass interference. once a call was made to move the ball 10 yards, when it should have been moved 5 yards.

this is something that took place around this time last year......it is worse then last night.

Last night one ref says TD, and the other waves it off about to say interception.....but people made a big deal about two refs making different calls and say they should have talked about. Well the ref who gave the TD did say something very brief and then it went into the books as a TD. and I bet it was something along the lines of "when there is possible position of the ball on both sides....then it goes to the offense". the key word is possible....so many announcers, writers, green bay fans FAIL to look at what this rule is.

these refs are getting killed by coaches, players, fans who lost....and what people are killing them on is tough calls. they are not making up anymore bogus then the old refs did. I have not really seen the refs make a big mistake that really cost the team.

What I do see is teams not being protected just cause they won the SB or have an elite QB.

NOTE: brees needs to shut up. he says "I love this league and love the game of football, but tonight’s debacle hurts me greatly. This is NOT the league we’re supposed to represent"......ummmm also the league we are in is where you do not intentional hurt players and pay them extra money to do their job and pay guys for carting off a player.

this is brees last twitter comment, "Ironic that our league punishes those based on conduct detrimental. Whose CONDUCT is DETRIMENTAL now?"......maybe he needs to look at this video and the other hundred videos of the old refs making worse calls then last nights.

Brees mad that his oline can't hold and get away with it with these replacement refs.

I do not want them back

The new REFS without a doubt have exposed how the old REFS would favor certain players and certain teams all the time.

The new REFS may miss some calls but the important thing to realize with the new REFS is everyone is on a level playing field. That to me is the most important thing . All REFS are human and are going to miss calls.

They need to come back. Granted, they will be rusty. I just want people to remember that the old refs weren't perfect. They need to be full time, pensioned, and held accountable for their mistakes. What happened to the Seahawks in the Super Bowl should never happen again.

That was their rebate last night. Been waiting for it in the mail for years.

And Drew Brees is such a pompous *********, a lot of people have figured that out within this past year. He's not this great nice guy he made himself out to be.

Edited by JBourneMurkedU

I do not want them back

The new REFS without a doubt have exposed how the old REFS would favor certain players and certain teams all the time.

The new REFS may miss some calls but the important thing to realize with the new REFS is everyone is on a level playing field. That to me is the most important thing . All REFS are human and are going to miss calls.

In a way I agree with this. The new refs are having trouble maintaining control, but that's only because they aren't respected. Frankly I think they are calling the games a little fairer, with the exception that they seem to favor the home team more often than not. They seem a little "swayed" by a loud hostile crowd. They do need a little time and help with the rule book tho. Like 5 timouts is not a good thing. ;)

I could care less. The old refs missed calls and made mistakes. The new refs miss calls and make mistakes. I really don't see the difference. The only difference I see is the media lambasting the replacement refs and highlighting every mistake while trying to get their buddies their old jobs back with ridiculous pension benefits that nobody else in the league is privy to.

And before anybody tries to claim the refs are not buddy buddy with the media, think about it. Mike Pereira joined Fox and has been a mainstay in the media to justify every bad call a ref has ever made. Mike has his ref's back and the media has Mike's back. Mike rarely, if ever, discussed a truely bad call when doing his reviews and I'm convinced that he "avoided" the real bad calls and only "highlighted" the one's he could justify. Now that they are replacement refs, I haven't heard him get their back once while the media crucifies them for every marginal call, nevermind blatantly bad.

They need to come back. Granted, they will be rusty. I just want people to remember that the old refs weren't perfect. They need to be full time, pensioned, and held accountable for their mistakes. What happened to the Seahawks in the Super Bowl should never happen again.

They don't need pensions. Pensions are a thing of the past.

While last night was a bad call, we had just as bad with regular refs. Remember Ed Hoculi?

This whole situation has just been so magnified by the announcers and media, that it makes them look worse than they are.

Do they lose control of some games? Yep. Do they make more bad calls than the regular refs? That's debatable

When a scenario which occured last night that directly costs the Falcons a game, then anyone here who remotely supports supports the watered down version of officials that we currently have will M.I.A.

When it comes down to the final play, like it did last night, I still don't think that one call decided the outcome. The Packers giving up 8 sacks in the first half had an enormous impact on the outcome of that game. It's not like that call was completely obvious anyway. Per the rulebook, a tie does go to the offense. Even though the defensive player ended up tucking it, the WR caught it at the same time and the DB never pulled it off of the WR's hands. Tate had a good grip on that ball while the DB was yanking it back and forth.

From my opinion, I do think the DB had more control over the ball, but I would bet that if this were a call made by the regular ref's, Pereira would say that the WR and DB both caught the ball at the same time and both of them maintained possession, with the tie going to the offense, backing up his boys and the media wouldn't make nearly as much stink about it.

Let us not forget the regular refs reviewing and calling Calvin Johnson's game winning TD an incomplete pass because he dropped the ball when he put his hands down to stand back up. He did not drop the pass on the way to the ground, he dropped the ball when he turned over and pushed off the ground to stand back up, which should be a completed pass TD game winner since he maintained possession going to the ground and he didn't lose possession until he was getting back up. Of course, the refs didn't call it that way and Pereira backed them up on it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqAuFs6Deko&feature=player_detailpage

There could have been just as much outrage over this exact same play, but Pereira came to the ref's defense, and the media accepted it and moved on.

I do not want them back

That is very true, and the teams who would get babied by the refs, are now getting the real treatment and are hating it.

Guest Fibonacci/Mashburn

I don't want old refs back but its too much circus. Bring them back and put them through same scrutiny, NFL should suspend and fire the refs who screw up.

if this was the case.....then I say there should be none of the old refs back....watch the video, there is far worse calls then that.....and that was just last year.

Old refs, new refs, the important thing is to avoid putting yourself in a position where playing mediocre football for 59+ minutes puts the game in the hands of a ref. This has ALWAYS been the case.

I'd like to see the games sped back up and avoid lengthy reviews but it wasn't like it was a shoot-out last night. It was an ugly game with an ugly win. If the call was reversed it would still be an ugly game with an ugly win. Both teams have areas that need improving.